17' Series Another bike rack

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
Hi this is my version of a bike rack
We mainly use our van as base camp for a few weeks at a time so this works well for us
The base is my Camp Kitchen with telescopic legs, it covers the two gas bottles on the draw bar and can also hide my 2.5 kva Yamaha generator.
I have cut in a single gas burner in one side and have made the pockets on each side big enough to carry 2Kg gas cylinders this covers the billy and pot boiling duties ( two minute noodles :)
The other side I have mounted a hand pump that when set up fits a 20l drum perfectly under so I can set up my Camp kitchen away from the van together with a small 12 volt battery it will light up the small strip led lights under the upright rail that supports the bikes when there on.
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1794.JPG
IMG_1792.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
Here are pics from two year ago when I first built the kitchen
Its made from .55 bmt Zincalume I was going to make it in a heavier aluminium but its held up ok so I might just leave it as is
The Exhaust has stained it a lot because I use the same kitchen set up on a Car trailer we use to tow our Quads and motor bikes for camping in winter
Expanda mods 024.jpg
Expanda mods 034.jpg
Expanda mods 035.jpg
Expanda mods 038.jpg
Expanda mods 039.jpg

Reactions: blacky

mikerosenkids

Sep 18, 2013
Loftus
Top stuff all round!

That's some serious tyres on the bike!

How much effect when all loaded does that gear have on your ball weight?
Yes loaded up this year put the ball a little heavy as the eldest daughter got a full size bike and I upgraded to the Fat bike
Soooo Im going to shorten the rack to three bikes on the front and the trailmax type mount for two biggest bikes on the rear to even the weight out a little
Those checker plate rails which the bike wheels sit in, did you form them up yourself?
Yes I have access to a Sheet metal folder and Guilotine at work

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
hahaha that push bike looks like a motorbike with engine and fuel tank removed!

Serious bit of gear! Nice box too mate :)

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
I've put a similar ali box with 2 top drawers on the front of my 16.49 and moved the gas cylinders into the box, Needed somewhere to put all the little bits and pieces which you take away and which are hard to store/get to in the front or back storage areas. To assist with the extra ball weight, I purchased a set of short load levelers (look like an inverted spring) which Trojan put out - available from Covs. Also moved the spare to back further under the front of the van.