Annexes

fangios

Aug 13, 2022
Morninton Peninsula, Victoria
Hi all - first post!
Today I went to Leisurefest (Melb caravan show) primarily to have a look at annexes. I had a very good look at the Australia wide annexe to go on my 17.56-1 expanda, this seems to be the most popular choice for annexes on this forum. I was surprised how thin the canvas fabric feels. For those who have this annexe, have you found the canvas material to be waterproof or had any tears or rips in it?
The material seemed a bit flimsy compared to annexes past.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Hi all - first post!
Today I went to Leisurefest (Melb caravan show) primarily to have a look at annexes. I had a very good look at the Australia wide annexe to go on my 17.56-1 expanda, this seems to be the most popular choice for annexes on this forum. I was surprised how thin the canvas fabric feels. For those who have this annexe, have you found the canvas material to be waterproof or had any tears or rips in it?
Carried a full size heavy annex around for one Qld trip , absolute pain in the backside to erect so never used it again. Unless you are going to stay for long periods in places they are just extra weight and take up room. !I have seen people spend a couple of hours putting up annexes for just a couple of nights stay! Obviously the lightweight ones would be the prefered option

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
A good rip stop canvas is lighter and hardier than old style canvas awnings been around for years............ I think any annex is too heavy with too much stuffing around, being just two of us a screen is good enough .. Mine has been in its bag in shed for years.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi all - first post!
I've just got a new one for my 18 haven't evan put it up yet .... had one on my 1756.2 for near 6 years lasted fine used it heaps with kids there very handy to have sort of keeps some of our stuff safe in van parks never put it up when bush camping only if staying over 1 week in a caravan park good if it rains too .... had one in the 20 I had also very good there not bad that's why I just got one for my 18 my 3rd van

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
I've just got a new one for my 18 haven't evan put it up yet .... had one on my 1756.2 for near 6 years lasted fine used it heaps with kids there very handy to have sort of keeps some of our stuff safe in van parks never put it up when bush camping only if staying over 1 week in a caravan park good if it rains too .... had one in the 20 I had also very good there not bad that's why I just got one for my 18 my 3rd van
Bit like you @Bluey . I have a beautiful "Jayco made" annex for my Penguin. Fits perfectly, came with van, hardly used. Now only used when staying in caravan park for a week or so with Grand Children. A lot of work to put up, but it does provide some sort of privacy when you are in a van park, also some sort of security for articles in annex area. Out of sight of those that have light fingers and want to relieve you of any alcoholic drinks you may have in an outside fridge. Only used once or twice a year at beach areas. Bit of a pain having to wash down any salt spray/sand, dry in sun and pack away. Never used in bush camping. Use tarps and "stretchies" attached to annex poles. Keeps out even the heaviest rain (more than 340mm in 6 hours!) and many a thunderstorm and wind too. Much easier to attach, take down and put away than an annex or even part/s of annex.

fangios

Aug 13, 2022
Morninton Peninsula, Victoria
Thanks for all your responses. My question was not so much about whether i need an annexe. With our last van of ten years and with 4 kids, we always use our annexe if camped anywhere for more than a few days. And being in Vic its pretty essential if we go away in winter as an extra escape from the rain.

I am more interested in which annexe to get. The options so far are Great Annexes (look excellent but on the expensive side) Alpine Annexes (great quality but also very expensive) Xtend Australia Wide (seems to be the most popular on this forum and cheaper than the previous two) or the Aussie traveller canvas awning through Campsmart (looks good for the $). Anything else I should consider, or comments on any of these options? Thanks!

PS If anyone has a used annexe for a 17.56 expander they are looking to offload please let me know! (mine is a tourer with underslung axle, so a regular tourer annexe will be too short, Outback one may work though)

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I like to feel the fabric on stuff, gives a good idea on how suitable it may be and with a tribe it does lend it self to having an annex................ Have seen a mob where the kids had individual stretcher swags, fella said it was their idea and they loved it and saved him doing an awning, cut down on squabbles..... kids were under 13.

Reactions: fangios

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks for all your responses. My question was not so much about whether i need an annexe. With our last van of ten years and with 4 kids, we always use our annexe if camped anywhere for more than a few days. And being in Vic its pretty essential if we go away in winter as an extra escape from the rain.

I am more interested in which annexe to get. The options so far are Great Annexes (look excellent but on the expensive side) Alpine Annexes (great quality but also very expensive) Xtend Australia Wide (seems to be the most popular on this forum and cheaper than the previous two) or the Aussie traveller canvas awning through Campsmart (looks good for the $). Anything else I should consider, or comments on any of these options? Thanks!

PS If anyone has a used annexe for a 17.56 expander they are looking to offload please let me know! (mine is a tourer with underslung axle, so a regular tourer annexe will be too short, Outback one may work though)
My Penguin is a touring model and when I had the axle underslung, it still fitted perfectly and was not too short to reach the ground properly. Made for the Jayco van by Jayco or whoever made it for them in West Aussieland where van originated. I believe Jayco no longer make annexes, so it appears it is now open to the market. Perhaps contact your local Jayco dealer and see what they have to say about who they think you should deal with. However, it will probably come at a premium price if done through Jayco system. Others on this forum have had problems with annexes not long enough after having axle underslung, but I had no such hassles. Perhaps I was just lucky that the one I ended up with was of "generous proportions"?? Otherwise try good canvas/tent places who do work for caravan manufacturers.
All my canvas is pale green and all windows and door openings have 3 layers - inside is fly mesh (fixed), next layer is clear plastic (can be rolled up and tucked under a covered hood) and the outer layer is light green canvas (which can also be rolled up and also tucked under). Probably very expensive compared to some of the muti-coloured/striped Arab/Turkish type which only have the two layers?? However, my Daughter is purchasing a new van (20 foot Network RV) in February 23, and is getting "Extend" to manufacture her annex, so hopefully she has made a good choice - quality wise and cost wise!!

Reactions: fangios