Andrew's Van 17.56-2

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
Well have sorted a few things lately and think the van is getting closer to just how we want it.

In the last month we have installed a DIY smartline clothes line on the roll out awning from RV Towing Solutions, purchased a full custom padded hail cover with door cutout, purchased a custom draw bar cover and installed a double entry step. I have done a reseal to the shower as well.

We ripped out the old 3 way fridge and installed a 150L compressor fridge (may have mentioned that in the past?)

I also installed a new Fusion 700 marine radio with an external mounted controller below the door handle outside and installed some RCA cables from the stereo to the TV to play kids cartoons to the tv from the ipod in the stereo.

Next job is a shovel holder under the van and out of the way

Photos attached show the covers and the new step which is great.

cover.JPG
cover2.JPG

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi AndrewC.

That is one decent cover! Question for you... What made you change the fridge?
We have ordered ours with the 3-way 150L but really wanted to go for the 150L waeco, but unfortunately as not a standard thing that Jayco offer, couldn't be done.

We figured we would just see how the three way goes, but in all honesty I think it will probably be changed as soon as we can. Would appreciate your thoughts though.

BJ

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
HM cover is made by stormcovers on the sunshine coast and including the door and draw bar cover cost $1700. Not cheap, but it lives in the weather so I can justify the cost for our pride and joy.

BJ, We changed the fridge for multiple reasons. The main two are as you can see in the photos, my drive way where it lives is far from level. So if we wanted to cool the fridge for a trip, we had to move it onto the street 24hrs before. Secondly, we quite often decide to go away at last minute, when that happens, flick the fridge on and its cold in less then 30 minutes at any angle.

Another reason we changed it was, when we stop during touring, there is no period of fridge not running (with out having to light the gas that is). My wife likes the fridge quite cold for the young fellas food.

We also found that the 3 way struggled to pull down to temps we liked, especially when it came to swapping ways it ran. There always seemed to be lag time in the change over.

All in all, it was worth the change. I got $1200 on ebay for the old one so it was only a $800 upgrade plus an extra battery. I already had solar and 2 other batteries and a ctek DC-DC charger so it was not too expensive to complete the upgrade.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
It's not too bad. It's three pieces and each piece gets rolled up. The hill works to our advantage putting it on and off. I can install it on my own with a ladder in about 20 minutes:

Reactions: pace9908

jed

May 16, 2013
Hi Andrew cover looks great mate so handy having the door openning. Just off the subject a bit ,Im so glad you put the pics up cause my wife and I have just bought a 14.44.5 and have never owned a caravan before and are so excited to be getting it in mid August the one thing keeping me awake at night is that our driveway is angled same as yours and I just cant work out how hard is it to unhitch and hitch the caravan up on such an angle ? Any help you can give me would be much appreciatted ,thanks in advance. Cheers

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
It's really a breeze. Hitching up is a simple as backing up and connecting, then once connected just back up half an inch to get the 4 big rubber chocks out. Don't get these chocks from Clark rubber. Super cheap sell the same ones for a quarter of the price.

Un hitching is a little more effort, but still simple. Reverse into place and chock the wheels and apply hamd brake. Wind jockey wheel up until you see the back of the car lift a couple of inches. Then jump back in the car and roll forward a touch. This releases pressure off the hitch and allows the coupling to pop. Then wind you jockey wheel up to completely clear tow ball.

Finally, put your stabilizer jacks down. My van sits there rock solid and am confident it's not going anywhere in a hurry even if the hand brake were to fail.

jed

May 16, 2013
It's really a breeze. Hitching up is a simple as backing up and connecting, then once connected just back up half an inch to get the 4 big rubber chocks out. Don't get these chocks from Clark rubber. Super cheap sell the same ones for a quarter of the price.

Un hitching is a little more effort, but still simple. Reverse into place and chock the wheels and apply hamd brake. Wind jockey wheel up until you see the back of the car lift a couple of inches. Then jump back in the car and roll forward a touch. This releases pressure off the hitch and allows the coupling to pop. Then wind you jockey wheel up to completely clear tow ball.

Finally, put your stabilizer jacks down. My van sits there rock solid and am confident it's not going anywhere in a hurry even if the hand brake were to fail.
Thanks alot Andrew sounds ok ,i was a bit worried only cause when the sales man showed me at the caravan lot he said the brakes had to be off to unhitch but like you say wind up the jockey wheel then move the car till it pops ,makes sence :) Thanks again ,much appreciated

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
jed and AndrewC ...I've never seen a salesman hitch or unhitch a van yet.
All done by a bloke driving a tractor with hitch on three point linkage. Even recall one of the Jayco "how to" videos where there's no jockey wheel fitted to the parked dual axle van. Obviously done by sales dept.

Reactions: jed

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Thanks alot Andrew sounds ok ,i was a bit worried only cause when the sales man showed me at the caravan lot he said the brakes had to be off to unhitch but like you say wind up the jockey wheel then move the car till it pops ,makes sence :) Thanks again ,much appreciated
Plus if the handbrake is off you could risk the van rolling into the back of you tow car. Me personally if the site is a bit uneven I leave the chains on until the van is secured and I am happy with it.

I'm sure you will be right jed just take your time and workout whats the best way to approach your situation.

AndrewC explains it perfectly :clap2: sorry for the hijack mate

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Plus if the handbrake is off you could risk the van rolling into the back of you tow car. Me personally if the site is a bit uneven I leave the chains on until the van is secured and I am happy with it.

I'm sure you will be right jed just take your time and workout whats the best way to approach your situation.

AndrewC explains it perfectly :clap2: sorry for the hijack mate
yep I do the same with the chains where there is a bit of a slope. You just never know....

jed

May 16, 2013
Thanks for for the infor guys ,hope we meet up one day :)