And when will it stop

foreveryoung

Jul 28, 2013
Bega nsw
So after having my beloved 16-49-3 only since august and spending most weekends in it, upgrading from the hawk, doing countless mods and just getting the panda perfect, hubby SAYS put the van on for sale, I want to move over to an 18 series outback, not that, that is a bad thing by any means, but now the arduous task of selling and finding the van to replace, and then starting again getting the home away from home perfect, arggggg hubbies :director:

Wanda

Jun 22, 2013
Adelaide
So after having my beloved 16-49-3 only since august and spending most weekends in it, upgrading from the hawk, doing countless mods and just getting the panda perfect, hubby SAYS put the van on for sale, I want to move over to an 18 series outback, not that, that is a bad thing by any means, but now the arduous task of selling and finding the van to replace, and then starting again getting the home away from home perfect, arggggg hubbies :director:
Mrs. W totally gets you! ;)

Reactions: foreveryoung

foreveryoung

Jul 28, 2013
Bega nsw
@Bushman oh didn't even give that a thought, according to the add of the one we are looking at, we are over by 200kg, so no 18 series for us, as im not buying a new vehicle :), will have to look into a 17 series

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi @foreveryoung
We have a 17.65.2 outback. It's ATM is 2432kg.
My 2008 Hilux SR had a tow rating of 2250kg.
I went to the trouble of putting the rig on a weigh bridge and found that we were well and truly over 2250 with the tanks full.
In the end, we never travelled with full tanks and put everything we could in the ute.

It's up to you how you manage the weights, but it's pretty close to the wind with the hilux and the 17.

I ended up buying a Mazda BT50 so I dont have to worry about it now!

Reactions: cruza driver

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
What is the reason you need to upgrade? We go through this dilemma a lot. I would like an 18, but when I think of the little upgrades I have done I keep putting it off. We would love a shower & toilet but don't like the shower in the 18-57.9. I like my little 16, but we copped some bad weather last outing and then all we could talk about was upgrading. I still look for that low use 18-57.5 but it will be pretty hard to find.

By the way my friend has this mint 17-56.2 underslung.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/2010-expanda-17-56-2-underslung.3931/

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
My understanding is that if you have an accident then insurance will not help you. You can also get fined if pulled over by the RTA (I guess they would have to weigh you).

foreveryoung

Jul 28, 2013
Bega nsw
@maccayak in hindsight we should have gotten an outback to start off, and I like the idea of bunks, we have five kids between us, 4 of them are teens and don't come with us very often, but when the do and we are camping where mum (me) doesn't like them sleeping in their swags outside (safety reasons) it would be nice to have the room, and hubby wants a dual axle, he thinks it would be easier to back, bloody hubbies :abnormal:,

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
What about an annexe? We have just got one to give the kids some more space. I thought it was worth a try and if it does not work out it will be good for resale. Just something more to take away.

Reactions: 17triton

foreveryoung

Jul 28, 2013
Bega nsw
What is the reason you need to upgrade? We go through this dilemma a lot. I would like an 18, but when I think of the little upgrades I have done I keep putting it off. We would love a shower & toilet but don't like the shower in the 18-57.9. I like my little 16, but we copped some bad weather last outing and then all we could talk about was upgrading. I still look for that low use 18-57.5 but it will be pretty hard to find.

By the way my friend has this mint 17-56.2 underslung.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/2010-expanda-17-56-2-underslung.3931/
Thanks Looks perfect, just what we are after, and in our price range, will definitely organise to have a look once mine sells and if it's still for sale

crustt

Apr 17, 2013
@maccayak in hindsight we should have gotten an outback to start off, and I like the idea of bunks, we have five kids between us, 4 of them are teens and don't come with us very often, but when the do and we are camping where mum (me) doesn't like them sleeping in their swags outside (safety reasons) it would be nice to have the room, and hubby wants a dual axle, he thinks it would be easier to back, bloody hubbies :abnormal:,
If anything dual axles are harder to back and manhandle, get an extended A-frame and it will be miles easier to back.

Reactions: Burnsy

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
We are going to sell our 18.57.9 and go to a Starcraft 16.51.3.
The kids are not that fussed anymore and I am over the toilet shower combo.
Currently at somerset dam in the rain, hoping for the weather to clear so we can get out for a ski

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
you love the 18 have you seen the 20 we went to that for the seperate shower toilet set up just sell car go the lot its only money when the wife told me she wanted the 20 first thing i said i need a different car she said do it only live once

foreveryoung

Jul 28, 2013
Bega nsw
you love the 18 have you seen the 20 we went to that for the seperate shower toilet set up just sell car go the lot its only money when the wife told me she wanted the 20 first thing i said i need a different car she said do it only live once
true true, but we want to travel in the next 3-4 years, and want to do it debt free, need the rent from the house to fund the trip, so getting a new car would spoil that lol, but would be nice tho

foreveryoung

Jul 28, 2013
Bega nsw
We are going to sell our 18.57.9 and go to a Starcraft 16.51.3.
The kids are not that fussed anymore and I am over the toilet shower combo.
Currently at somerset dam in the rain, hoping for the weather to clear so we can get out for a ski
just being in the van is enough for me, we went away the other weekend, poured all weekend, everything was wet, but would rather be in my panda wet than being at home lol, oh skiing how I miss you:love_heart:

Kingy

Apr 29, 2012
Cashmere, Brisbane
The sun did come out our mates in a tent did dry everything out...LOL
Ended up having a great weekend with family, friends, red wine, baulderdash and a v8 ski boat
If you haven't been, lake somerset is a great spot, close to Brisbane
We also took two kayaks so may have had trouble towing skiers but would have got out onto the water either way.