Alternative to detachable bunk ladder

Kate File

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi all

We have just ordered a new Expanda 20.63-1 Outback and I am just checking the factory order form.

One thing I really want to change is the bunk ladder. I don't like it sticking out at an angle during the day. It looks in the way and unsightly. My husband says we will just take it off and lay it on the top bunk during the day, but then my 9 year old son can't creep into his bed for some quiet time whenever he wants. This doesn't happen very often, but after a fight with his sister (or father!), it's nice to be able to get away. I guess we could lay it on the bottom bed during the day but still not appealing.

Has anyone managed to get an alternative? Why not a fixed metal ladder, perfectly vertical. The kids will still manage to climb it. The storage under the bottom bunk opens up so that shouldn't be a problem? Is there nowhere to attach it to?

I actually like the pieces of solid timber with big cut outs that enable climbing up, but apparently they are an option.

I feel like I am missing something?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I can't comment on too much there, but the angle on the ladder does make it a little easier to climb up.
We too plays with a few options and found leaving it with the angle ended being most practical. It does stick into the passage a bit, but not too bad.
(Having the 17' which had the ladder effectively in the kitchen, we did move it to the other end of the bunk tho but I think the 20' has a timber board there doesn't it which would prevent it moving??)
A handle from bunnings mounted on the side timber works just as well as the Jayco option.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Our 2010 17.56-2 OB came with a vertical steel ladder. I think Jayco changed it in the 2011 model.
Wouldn't be a difficult retrofit though.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
We are thinking the esact same thing when looking at the 3 bunk Starcraft (22ft) The ladder takes up too much room when installed. I was thinking of fixing it in the vertical position!
I should point out that in our 17.56.2 it was never a problem. Didn't ever seem to get in the way.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I didn't mined the ladder the way it was on the bunk ones we looked at, given that my bunk rat could take the ladder on/off as required herself.
A lot of "other" manufactures build their ladder into the timber work, which I reckon would wear over time and look crap and some the steps are a little far apart . it also boxes in the bottom bunk in a bit

Last edited:
Reactions: skippy

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
There are metal things screwed to the side of the top bunk which the ladder slides into. We have pickup of our 20.63.1 on Monday so will check it out and let you know

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
On the first day I took delivery of the van I took off the plastic hooks on the top of the ladder and hacksawed about an inch off the aluminum. Keeping the same angle.
Reattached the plastic hooks.
Whilst not vertical it came in a long way at the base which was in the way of the door entry. All good.
Cheers
Andrew

Reactions: Ren77 and skippy

Still_dreamin

Jan 27, 2014
Brisbane Northside
We have an 17.56.1 with the angled ladder. I find that the ladder does not get in the way but we do store it on the top bunk when not in use. Having the ladder still on an angle does make it easier to climb up and down - but ours is mostly used by our 6 yo boy. When they want their own time we separate them to the two expanda ends.

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
Hi. We have a 20.63.1 with the double bunks. We popped some towel rails on the opposite wall which make the passage even narrower but still not really a problem. Sometimes we stow the ladder on the bed or just lay it on its side in front of the bed. Need to be careful with the plastic mounts - if the ladder gets pulled outwards they will snap. Thinking about getting a couple of spares as its bound to happen.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi. We have a 20.63.1 with the double bunks. We popped some towel rails on the opposite wall which make the passage even narrower but still not really a problem. Sometimes we stow the ladder on the bed or just lay it on its side in front of the bed. Need to be careful with the plastic mounts - if the ladder gets pulled outwards they will snap. Thinking about getting a couple of spares as its bound to happen.

We claimed our broken clips under warranty no problem

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@Macropod
I have been thinking of putting towel rails on the wall that is appossing the shower too. I am just a bit weary that the wall would have enough strength to hold the towel rail holder. If you have some pictures that you could show us that would be greatly appreciated.
Paul

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
@Macropod
I have been thinking of putting towel rails on the wall that is appossing the shower too. I am just a bit weary that the wall would have enough strength to hold the towel rail holder. If you have some pictures that you could show us that would be greatly appreciated.
Paul
I bought some suction hooks from Target so we don't have to drill holes. We will also then be able to move them if needed. They each hold 2 towels at 8kg.

Macropod

Sep 5, 2013
Cordeaux Heights, NSW
Hi Skippy. Van is offsite getting an annex fitted (actually a drying room for skiing) . When I get the van back I will put some photos up. I was happy with how solid the rails were once up - but I would not encourage the kids to be swinging from them. John

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hi Skippy. Van is offsite getting an annex fitted (actually a drying room for skiing) . When I get the van back I will put some photos up. I was happy with how solid the rails were once up - but I would not encourage the kids to be swinging from them. John

:eek-53: Skiing .... Awsome.... I will try that some day but not over here in WA. Hope the fitting goes well with the annex too.

Look forward to the happy snaps @Macropod