Alko Offroad Coupling

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Has anyone got the Alko Offroad Coupling fitted? Any thoughts on these? I have been told by the dealer that Jayco can't fit the Hyland hitch due to the weight of the van but they can do the 3.5T one.

http://www.alko.com.au/vehicle-tech...ue/couplings/selection-criteria-descriptions/

Also I asked for the hitch to sit on a plate at the top of the drawbar but they said it had to be at the bottom due to a 450mm industry standard height from ground. Has anyone heard of this?

Cheers,
Paul.

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
G'day @Paul75, I have 1 of these fitted to my 17.56-2OB and will be fitting to my new van when I get it. They are suitable for use with a WDH. The main reason I chose this is because we have a Pajero and opening the rear door was not happening with the standard hitch. They fit a standard 50mm ball as well. You have to allow 90mm between the middle of the ball on the tongue and where the tongue slides in to the receiver for the hitch to work properly as per attachment. Hope this helps. Other people may suggest different but for me it has been fine.
Cheers
greynt

Last edited:

Danniel

Mar 6, 2013
I have the treg. It came mounted down in between the chassis. I welded a new plate on top of the chassis and relocated the hitch.
2013-03-23_09-07-06_294-jpg.jpg

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Has anyone got the Alko Offroad Coupling fitted? Any thoughts on these? I have been told by the dealer that Jayco can't fit the Hyland hitch due to the weight of the van but they can do the 3.5T one.

http://www.alko.com.au/vehicle-tech...ue/couplings/selection-criteria-descriptions/

Also I asked for the hitch to sit on a plate at the top of the drawbar but they said it had to be at the bottom due to a 450mm industry standard height from ground. Has anyone heard of this?

Cheers,
Paul.

Yes Paul we heard the same thing of the 450mm height requirement, this is why outback have the coupling on the bottom and standard are on top, dont know why the wouldn't do the Hyland for you, other members have them from factory, there is different ones for weight ratings

View attachment 16405 View attachment 16397 View attachment 16398
G'day @Paul75, I have 1 of these fitted to my 17.56-2OB and will be fitting to my new van when I get it. They are suitable for use with a WDH. The main reason I chose this is because we have a Pajero and opening the rear door was not happening with the standard hitch. They fit a standard 50mm ball as well. You have to allow 90mm between the middle of the ball on the tongue and where the tongue slides in to the receiver for the hitch to work properly as per attachment. Hope this helps. Other people may suggest different but for me it has been fine.
Cheers
greynt

greynt, I have a Pajero and my Panda Outback has the standard hitch, no problem opening the rear door "just" thought the WDH (Hayman Reece) is on the lowest setting, evening with my Swan using the standard tow tongue it wasn't an issue I do have the spare wheel lifter fitted. I have been considering fitting the off-road hitch though just for that added door clearance and the off-road benifit. My mate on the other hand who owns a Coromal that has the hitch on top had to change to the ALKO hitch.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Thanks for all the responses. Think I'll go with the standard hitch and then sort it out once I've taken delivery.

Cheers.

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Is there any mod or engineering inspection to be done with the new plate being welded on top of A frame, just not sure how you would go with insurance if something were to happen and it's not a factory fitted option. TIA