Alko esc opinions

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Hi, we take possession of our new 17.56-2 next week and am considering wether to look at the ESC. Any opinions on this, good or bad?
thanks

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I am all for it. Take a look at the vid on the Alko web site. For me it justifies it.
my thoughts are if you ever get in a situation like that, two scenarios will play out. You will control it or not. Considering I drive less with a van on, the chances of not controlling it are greater. Thus I can justify this easily.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I agree with Brad - ESC on cars was/is revolutionary for driver safety. If ESC can do the same for trailers under tow I'm all for it and hope they make it mandatory for new trailers sooner than later. I'm considering the retrofit as Jayco wouldn't fit it when I ordered mine earlier this year...

My dad owns and operates an automotive workshop - as one of his mechanics told me on the weekend "you'll spend thousands on apple gadgets, tool boxes and luxuries to take glamping so why not spend money on something that can assist and protect your family's safety."

Some insurance companies now give discounts with it fitted.

I would have it on now if we could fit it ourselves however it needs to be fitted by a ALKO certified mob :)

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Just booked in to get it retro fitted, $1200 for van, $200 for car and need to take car & van in to check the brakes are working as they should and for some measurements (didn't ask why). I was sold after watching video on ALKO site

Themoneypennys

Mar 24, 2013
Hi Jeff,
where in Perth are you booked in ? I got a price of $1100 from Caravanland but didn't say anything about car. Am also sold after watching video and will be getting it installed.

Apr 18, 2013
Moranbah
I picked up our 17.56-2 last week from the dealer down in Bundy and have travelled around 750km so far. We got the ESC factory fitted on the build and I am very impressed with how the van sits behind our tug, as when driving home in the wet with a bit of wind and road trains flying past in the oppisite direction the van didn't even budge once felt very controlled even when you give it to it on back windy country roads.:welcoming:

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Going to Ken Peachey Caravan Repairs in Belmont to have ESC fitted. We don't have an ALKO brake controller in the car so $200 may be to replace controller, but at this stage I realise I didn't ask enough questions

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
You are going to have to take a few pics of what you see installed jeff. I was hoping my existing brake controller was ok too. clearly there is more to this install than meets the eye.

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
You are going to have to take a few pics of what you see installed jeff. I was hoping my existing brake controller was ok too. clearly there is more to this install than meets the eye.

They recommend an accelerometer style (eg. tekonsha p3.). Apparently the dial style (eg redarc remote head which is what I had ). Don't work properly with the ESC

Reactions: Brad

Flanders

Mar 13, 2013
Just North of Melbourne
Hmm... I have the P2. I think that has the accelerometer

Yep sorry Brad. I should have clarified that. The brake controllers with motion sensing are ok. The ones that don't work properly with the ESC are the manual ones. Usually these have a dial to set the strength. However some manual types do work. If you go to the alko ESC website and look under the faq section it lists them there. I'm not happy as I had a redarc EBRH and it was not approved but now on their website they are>:(

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I haven't delved too far into it at this stage, although it does look like a great addition to the van.
However in my situation, my Jeep has Trailer Sway Control built in to the vehicle so I wonder if the Alko ESC would work with or against the Jeep's system...

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
Just got back from the prelim check to have ESC installed. Brakes on the van were tested to make sure they are operating correctly. If ESC is intalled on van with brakes that are not operating correctly it has caused problems.
Rim sizes, tyre sizes, suspension was checked
Distance from van hitch to centre of wheel was checked
All this information is used to ensure they get the correct ESC unit for the van
The $200 for the car allows for additional wiring direct from the battery to an anderson plug for the power for the ESC. The power could be taken from the 12 pin plug but what happens if there is faulty appliance in van & trips out fuse, no ESC. The anderson also allows for more power draw than the 12 pin plug
It was explained to me that ESC works independently of the brake contoller in the car. ESC only comes into play if the sensor picks up movement in the van, ESC the applies the brakes to stabilise van, not when you put your foot on the brake
Matty4 - from the alko website,
"The AL-KO ESC operates independently of the tow vehicle's stability control system.
AL-KO ESC will not have any detrimental effect on the operation of these systems."