16' Series Alko 50mm Coupling Handle

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Hi
We have a Pajero and when we open the rear door the spare tyre hits the coupling handle.

We have the standard Alko 500mm ball coupling.

I've seen somewhere online people have made the handle fold down. DOes anyone know how to do this? Or is there a replacement handle? All i need is an extra 1 cm or so clearance

The alternative i've been looking at is replacing the coupling with a DO35 V3 but thats $430.

Thanls

MarkAW

Jan 25, 2017
Point Cook
Also, does anyone have experience using the Hayman Reese Standard WDH? Does the jockey wheel clamp on the outside of the drawbar interfere with the WDH?

Thanks

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have seen one's where they made a new handle which was just a tube sect with a bar across the top as a handle it just fitted in place of the big handle, lower profile and was very neat looking......

Depends on the draw bar, tow hitch set up whether or not the WDH would get in the way, it doesn't on Big Mal but I have to have the locking handle in a certain spot or it will get in the way of a chain.

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Hi
We have a Pajero and when we open the rear door the spare tyre hits the coupling handle.

We have the standard Alko 500mm ball coupling.

I've seen somewhere online people have made the handle fold down. DOes anyone know how to do this? Or is there a replacement handle? All i need is an extra 1 cm or so clearance

The alternative i've been looking at is replacing the coupling with a DO35 V3 but thats $430.

Thanls
Gday

Saw this on the GreyNomads forum...
I am probably the original cheapskate, and refused to pay over $100 for a simple piece of metal to raise the spare wheel on my Pajero. I simply cut the D handle off my caravan coupling. I then welded a pair of steel strips on the offcut piece, and drilled and tapped the stub which remained on the coupling. Two bolts and the whole handle now swings down and does not intefere with the rear door of the Pajero. Of course, if I ever tow another caravan, I will have problems, but that is not likely at this stage, and should I ever buy another van, I will do the same again.

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
HI bought the new Alko Hyland off road type for $240 from trailer camper australia. Its about as low profile as you'll get

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Also, does anyone have experience using the Hayman Reese Standard WDH? Does the jockey wheel clamp on the outside of the drawbar interfere with the WDH?

Thanks
Yes the clamp is not in the way but jockey wheel is so i put driverside one on first then take jockey wheel off and put other one on easy and it helps to have the wheel down a bit at first anyway to make it easier to put WDH on

MikeC

Aug 29, 2017
Adelaide
We have the same AL KO hitch and had the spare tyre lift bracket fitted when we bought our Pajero. Door clearance has not been an issue. It is a simple and effective mod that means it doesn't matter what you put on the back of your Pajero you can open the door.