Air con power requirements

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I have a Honda 2kva, can anyone tell me if this little gen will run the ibis AC? What power does the ibis require?

Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I have the same and it does run the ibis roof top, best not to leave it in direct sunlight when running high draw appliances, this may cause overload from heat.

Cheers.

Reactions: KATO

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
I brought a 2kva Honda to run my aircondition in van when I have no power well xmas 45 degree generator kept overloading public holiday couldn't ring anyone well what I was doing wrong I had cooler button on high and air condition on high,so once I turned dial down and just had fan on then turned generator on it was fine then I switch to airconditoning it worked fine but be careful what else u have running I switched a lot of power of like microwave,fridge which was running on gas anyway lights I wasn't using cause the air conditioner runs about 1.6kva so not much for play hope this helpshay I was scratching my head when it kept overloading

xpanda

Apr 28, 2013
Gippsland
Hi mate, welcome to the forum. I have the same and it does run the ibis roof top, best not to leave it in direct sunlight when running high draw appliances, this may cause overload from heat.

Cheers.

Hi Burnsy
Can you run the ibis in heating mode with the honda 2kw?

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Burnsy
Can you run the ibis in heating mode with the honda 2kw?

Havent tried that to be honest, doesn't the ibis draw less for heating? I'd have to look at specs. If its not flogging down rain here on weekend I'll try it for you!

xpanda

Apr 28, 2013
Gippsland
Havent tried that to be honest, doesn't the ibis draw less for heating? I'd have to look at specs. If its not flogging down rain here on weekend I'll try it for you!

Thanks for that Burnsey very generous,

the specs I saw for the ibis were cooling 2.8KW, heating 3KW

By the way way can you run the aircon flat out with the Honda 2kw?

We have just signed the contract for the 18.57-6 OB ( with ibis) therefore the generator queries. Have been researching quite a few different portable genies but haven't been able to find a better all round package than the honda 2kw, only concern is will it be able to cope with the ibis at higher run settings

Cheers

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle

We have just signed the contract for the 18.57-6 OB ( with ibis) therefore the generator queries. Have been researching quite a few different portable genies but haven't been able to find a better all round package than the honda 2kw, only concern is will it be able to cope with the ibis at higher run settings

Cheers

Ok mate, I'll give it a work out and let you know, great van you'll love it!

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com

Cheers

pretty sure they were KW ratings CJ

Honda rate their generators in kVA, not much difference kW to kVA at these low levels but there is a difference to be aware of.
http://powerequipment.honda.com.au/Super_Quiet/EU20i

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle

Cheers

Sorry mate, didn't get the chance this weekend.....wet all weekend , i'll try as soon as i can!

Jason18576

Jul 14, 2013
Tivol,Ipswich,QLD
Hi all my honda 2 does not run the ibis as it a 07 witch not have no soft start so its a roof thumper . I zip tide a cheap 4000w invertor to the side of the honda and it loves it the only bad thing the invertor hates the heat and cuts out be for the honda
they said the genquip 3300w will run but its a bit big

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi there @xpanda, I got the Honda eu20 out this afternoon and ran the Ibis aircon for 30 min on cool with fan on high and it coped no worries. Ambient temp at the time would of been mid to high 20's. Sorry still haven't tried it on heat yet!

Cheers.

Walks

Sep 15, 2013
Melbourne
Hi there @xpanda, I got the Honda eu20 out this afternoon and ran the Ibis aircon for 30 min on cool with fan on high and it coped no worries. Ambient temp at the time would of been mid to high 20's. Sorry still haven't tried it on heat yet!

Cheers.
I think the issue will come on in the heat when you want it most. 40 is enough to make most stationary motors very hot.