Just Browsing Advice please

bazz27

Jan 20, 2022
Victoria
Hi everyone,

Been creeping around some threads but this is my first post!

We are looking to upgrade our current 70s pop top van to an expanda to fit our expanding family. We have an 10,8 year old (previous relationship) and about to have a new baby and hopefully another after that. So the expanda appears to fit our growing family well. We are looking to buy an expanda with ensuite.

Looking for advice on a few things:
- Any particular year to avoid or year to go for?
- Is there somewhere with price guides so I know I'm not getting ripped off
- What checks would you get done if buying private
- I am trying to get my head around weights, it seems the expanda's are around the 2t range which is the max towing of my current vehicle so assume I will need to get a new one with a higher towing capacity?
- differences between single and double axle for handling?

Lots there and I would appreciate any feedback :)

Reactions: Job Done

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Have towed both single and double JTECh suspension JOB poptops.one 16.52 now 17.58.Single started to wander a little at 110 klmph ,duel ,steady as a rock at 130 kph ,not that I travel at that speed.! Horses for courses re manuvoring ,single easier in small spaces .I would get the latest model you can afford.Things to look for are water leaks on interior surfaces,show up as peeling coatings.The poptops roof where alloy ext extrusion meets the flat fibre glass roof panel needs resealing every four years.four plastic ext corner pieces degrade badly and can leak.
Look underneath at the ply floor some delaminate badly if used in wet conditions.Also check not to much rust underneath.
Interior ,check lights work,roll out awning check for holes etc.If three way fridge at least see if fridge lights on gas ,freezer plate will get cool in 30 minutes if working.If going to look at one ask for the fridge to be put on 240 v the night before and check that its cold..Turn on water taps etc .Other things to look for on the Expanda are leaks on the tent extensions,I am sure other owners can give you more info.Price wise ,google caravan sales and get a picture of whats available.Covid has sent used vans of all makes upwards!You havnt said what vehicle you have at the present.Suffice to say you will have to be within legal limits when van and vehicle fully loaded.Which model Expanda all so dictates what vehicle you would need