17' Series adding additional water tank?

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Hi all, how hard or possible is it to add a second water tank to a 17-56? Most with a shower (int or ext) have the second 80L tank, however some don't have it. Is it fairly easy to install a second tank and connect them up?

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Should not be to hard, As long as your floor beams are spaced correctly to suit an additional tank.
you will need a Jayco factory style tank, tank straps and stone guard, a 3 way tank tap and pvc tube and adaptors to suit.
Behind your factory tank fill door should be a spare tank fill port that you could get the correct fitting and use to fill up the second tank.

Spare fill port location
2016-03-29 17.07.17.jpg

3 way tap to select what tank to draw from.
I have 2 taps as I have 3 water tanks
2016-01-29 17.35.35.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

Annie803

Dec 4, 2016
Macksville, NSW
We have just bought a 2nd hand Jayco Journey with dual 80L water tanks, but can't seem to work out how they work. Our Coast to Coast monitor said both tanks were empty, but when we tried to fill them, only one filler tap would allow water to fill. The other filler tap just kept overflowing as though it was full. Is it true that you have to manually flick a switch under the van to change tanks, as I read on another forum? Surely not! We couldn't believe we had used 160L of water for just 3 showers and 1 washup in 2 days!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
There is a switch type tap underneath the van, driver side, which will switch from either front or rear tank or can be switched to feed from both but it has no effect on filling the tanks. I have a similar problem where I can't fill one tank. I think it because there is a blockage in the vent pipe so if the air can't get out of the tank, the water wont go in. I am going to pull the vent line off to see if it can be filled.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @Annie803 and welcome to the forum. The valve under the van is used on the outlets of the tanks so you can control which tank is being used. There should be a black knob on it with an arrow. Usual directions are...... 1) If the arrow faces towards the front of the van it will draw-off the front tank 2) Facing to the back will draw from the rear tank 3) Pointing down (usually!) will draw from both tanks at the same time.

Depending on how old the van is you just might only have the one fill point connected and need to have the valve in "Position 3" above so both tanks equalize as they fill?

Post #2 above by @Base23 shows the type of valves commonly used on Jayco's.