Adding a Solar Option to the Prado

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
Many will remember my build up on this new truck.

I have now decided its time to add a Solar option for the dual battery system.

DISCLAIMER
********This build up is as much about getting input and advice as it is informative. I value all input and advice provided by people here and would hope that anyone that has better ideas will post here******

Here is the build up to date. I have started a new thread as this impacts both the Prado and the mothership as I am planning the external solar to be able to be used with both.

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/goodies-2014-prado-glx-diesel-build-up.5503/

To date I have had a few issues with the 80amh battery fitted to run the Engle in the Prado.

I have had issues with the Solar in the Expanda (It didn't get fitted properly and just doesn't work) so decided to add the portable Solar option to both the Prado and the Expanda.

The items purchased;
Solar 1.jpg

5 metre 100amp dual cable with 60amp fuse 8mm lugs and 50a Anderson plug sealed in a protective case. Plan to buy a second 6m one for the van.
$76 from Ebay (honestly not worth the trouble and effort to purchase separately and make myself)

Solar_2.jpg

Red Anderson Plug mounting kit
$21 from Ebay (Just makes the set up neat and I have chosen red as it will identify the plug as my Solar only connection)

Solar_3.jpg

The panels $209 from Ebay,and this is where I am seeking feedback, I am leaning towards the 120w units as they would provide sufficient trickle feed for the amount of free camping we do combined with the vehicle & caravan battery sizes. (Top up only)

So its day one so no fitting yet but here is my thinking that will include both installation pictures and commentary;

1. Direct connection to the second 80ah battery under the bonnet of the Prado running along the chassis rail and ending on the towbar frame.
2. The solar has its own controller, plus the cable includes a 60a fuse, allowing for a direct and safe connection from the panels to the battery.

My questions
1. How much power will be fed to the battery?
2. The controller is 10a will that effect how much power is sent to the battery?
3. Will this provide the trickle feed I seek?

So let the build begin...........

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Is your second battery under the bonnet isolated from your cranking battery.
The amount of charge into your aux battery will be determined by its SOC. The lower the SOC the more your solar will put into it.
Yes your solar will trickle charge the aux battery once it reaches near 100% SOC.
I have on occasion plugged my solar panels kit into the Anderson plug on the tow bar to charge the aux battery.

The Goodwins

Jan 29, 2014
Wellington Point
www.facebook.com
So after running the Anderson the full length of the vehicle.......I changed my mind particularly as the drop in transferred power will be greater across the 5 metre cable as opposed to the 50cm cable.
image.jpeg

The full set up tucks in nicely beside the air box.
image.jpeg

It also allows for me to have the bonnet closed to the first click when plugged in.
image.jpeg

The 5 metre cable will now go directly to the van battery via the draw bar and through the floor to get maximum use of the panels. Photos of the installation to come.

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
While I have panels mounted on my tug to power the aux battery I only have 60w and while it was enough when it was a portable now that it is mounted flat on roof they can struggle to keep the battery charged when the back is closed up and it gets very hot inside causing the fridge to run all the time, I have 120w portable panel which can plug into tug or van and find it keeps the batteries topped up and especially so on days with abit of cloud around. Aurgments the 150w on van roof.......One day I may get a Ctek 250s or similar to look after things.

A most important trick I have found is to have a tag which you hang from drivers door to remind you not to drive off before dis-connecting.........

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I was inspired after I drove off with the Engel plugged into the shed, leads don't stretch very much........................still forget to put sign up though...

Reactions: Bmhdg76