17' Series About to purchase a new 17.56.2. Any suggestions?

Brant

Jul 26, 2016
Mooroolbark, Victoria
Within the next month or so I'm going to order a new 17.56.2 from Jayco Bayswater. Im looking at getting the following accessories:
- TV / DVD
- TV Aerial
- Fold down table
- Radio
- control panel - Drifter
- Gas Boyonet
- Jacks - AL-KO drop
- Solar 120w (still undecided on this??)
- Privacy Screens

Do any recommend anything else or do you think something listed above isn't necessary? A majority of our camping with be at powered sites with the occasional 3 or so day trip with no power.

Your assistance will be most appreciated as this will be my first van.

Brant

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Hi Brant.
We were also considering the ens version but decided to go without as we wanted more storage. Having the ens is very convenient in particular the toilet for the kids so we got a little portable Dometic toilet which works really well. We also opted for the external shower which comes with a pop up tent. Me, I like walking to the shower block.
I would add an extra gas bottle and an ext gas point for bbq.
Think also about 12v sockets and add them in during the build.
Also go the extra water tank and extended draw bar. If you are not going outback model, ask for underslung axel. Will give more ground clearance.
Sorry for adding costs, same thing happened to me on this forum all the guys here gave me so much good information and advice.
Good luck!

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Make sure the 12v sockets are wired with thick enough wire (5mm ?) to run a Waeco fridge etc.
Think about extra 240 sockets for chargers etc.
If the privacy screens are still the mesh type, get black ones.....the white ones get filthy dirty, can't be cleaned and look horrible.
Additional battery too.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi Brant.
We were also considering the ens version but decided to go without as we wanted more storage. Having the ens is very convenient in particular the toilet for the kids so we got a little portable Dometic toilet which works really well. We also opted for the external shower which comes with a pop up tent. Me, I like walking to the shower block.
I would add an extra gas bottle and an ext gas point for bbq.
Think also about 12v sockets and add them in during the build.
Also go the extra water tank and extended draw bar. If you are not going outback model, ask for underslung axel. Will give more ground clearance.
Sorry for adding costs, same thing happened to me on this forum all the guys here gave me so much good information and advice.
Good luck!

Agree with all of this.

No wonder we're all poor!

:becky:

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
When we had our 2014 17.56.2 we got all what u have said.. plus we got fixed bunks..more storage for us.. we also got 2 external picnic fold down tables absolute one of the best things we got,with 3 kids and the gear they have they were so handy we would leave the big water bottle on it and t he kids can help themselves to fresh water..

Reactions: Lozza T and bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Good luck!

we are very good at this hey............lots of practice............................:angel-87::angel::angel-87::angel:

seriously though.,..

number 1 question is............... what are you planning to use to tow this...........

now, down to business......................

you can get them to fit the TV bracket - but not buy their TV - can get 12v ones cheaper elsewhere - JB's, Hardly Normal, eBay, etc also get the TV/DVD combined

fold down tables are great, I use it to hold all the coffee makings while we are camping.(coffee machine, kettle, etc)....... all in 1 spot, and I can have a coffee anytime....

radio is an either either - we have a walkman and speaker for noise

if your getting the Out Back, the drop down jacks are standard & also the Gas Bayonet point (I am lead to believe) they will usually only fit one, so think either front or back

with the solar - for the few extra dollars, the 150w is not bad - (again 120w std on Out Back)
(I have the 150w and only 1 120Ah gell battery - have never run out of 12v yet)

privacy screens are std (are they not...........?) the black mesh ones are better, but you can also get them to fit the bed end fly's - better if they have the headaches at fitting than you

Extended Draw Bar - tows better, easier to reverse & can fit a box / bikes / whatever on the front (effects your tow ball weight though, so think about what you would fit and where)

extra power points inside, can never have too many, under the table for charging Lap tops & portable devices, in the kitchen area
at the foot of each bed, so they can be in bed and still use their devices

a light on the off side (driver side) of the van - for setting up when you get to site late - or something goes pear shaped at night - also good if you have external shower

a second 12v and 240v out side - its usually near the back, but if you get another fitted at the front - good for extra lights & fridges

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
When I got mine I would have looked into a curtain around the bunks....
I did get the curtain around the bunk and my 7 year old boy loves it! 1479003799037472080218.jpg

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
When we had our 2014 17.56.2 we got all what u have said.. plus we got fixed bunks..more storage for us.. we also got 2 external picnic fold down tables absolute one of the best things we got,with 3 kids and the gear they have they were so handy we would leave the big water bottle on it and t he kids can help themselves to fresh water..

Can you get the fold down tables installed as a mod or does it need to be done in the factory during the build?
I was thinking about the drop down table while ordering but thought that I have a few small camping tables already.
I am curious that you state that it was one of the best things that you added.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
You can do it either at build or as an add on.

The advantage of having them added at the build is that the Jayco decals are added over the table so it doesn't stand out too much...visually.

Functionality is the same and you can decide exactly where you want it if it's / they're added later.

Reactions: Lozza T and bigcol

rcf

Jun 15, 2014
Gladstone Qld
Can you get the fold down tables installed as a mod or does it need to be done in the factory during the build?
I was thinking about the drop down table while ordering but thought that I have a few small camping tables already.
I am curious that you state that it was one of the best things that you added.
We have 3 kids.. we leave a 5 ltr water bottle on one so they can help themselves.. we eat outside so we set up a coffee machine.. we put a toaster when we have breaky..we put a sunscreen bottles up there..i put my stubbies up there sum times.. they are very handy.. we just got our new van and got 2 tables on it.. and we told jayco that we wanted to have 2 fold down tables and its no problem for them to do it...

Reactions: bigcol and Lozza T

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's about right, though you can get them larger or smaller, depending on your requirements. There are different suppliers.

The only slight drawback, with the outback models, is the height off the ground but they're good for electric kettle, keeping tea coffee etc within easy reach, as a bar to keep the wine and other goodies close by......but, with kids, it's high enough to keep most sticky fingers away from said goodies.

Reactions: bigcol and Lozza T

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Privacy screens from geelong jayco are much better they get them made heaps thicker than jayco ones can see out carnt see in and keep rain out too
Has anyone said extended draw bar

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
because I am usually up before the sun when we are away
out drop down table has the coffee makings on it
and the engel sits underneath (for the milk.....) saves banging and crashing while everyone else is asleep

we also used to have one of those 25L water jugs for the kids - (we have 3 - grown up now thankfully)
2 bags of ice - top with water - plenty for a weekend of ice cold water

like one of these - but 25L

Portable__water_Cooler_Jug.jpg

Reactions: dagree