50mm hitch packer help

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
Hi all,
Want to raising the hitch as my tow bar and plate protection for hand brake on van keep bottoming out.
Have a pajero with 50mm lift and had to get a tow bar that was a lot lower then the one I had when we had the Eagle so I would like to try putting a 50mm packer under the van hitch so I can raise the tow bar.
I have looked at the one's on the site, especially Moto Moto's Canbarra Jayco supplied one. local Jayco in Coffs don't carry them and I was wondering if anyone could see any promblems in using 50mm squre tubing layed side buy side and bolted through, or would it be better to weld them together or use a soild piece of steele or aluminum.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Bozzy, definitely only use solid, the RHS can squash, your hitch will become loose and the bolts will finally fail. Maybe try and order a packer from another dealer or failing that an engineering business should be able to make one.
I'll be looking at doing the same when i lift my pajero.

Cheers.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I also have the one the same as Moto's (supplied fiited by Canberra) though they are hollow however it as tubing inside where the bolts pass through the prevent it squishing when bolted up

I see if I have a pic showing the bolts

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi all,
Want to raising the hitch as my tow bar and plate protection for hand brake on van keep bottoming out.
Have a pajero with 50mm lift and had to get a tow bar that was a lot lower then the one I had when we had the Eagle so I would like to try putting a 50mm packer under the van hitch so I can raise the tow bar.
I have looked at the one's on the site, especially Moto Moto's Canbarra Jayco supplied one. local Jayco in Coffs don't carry them and I was wondering if anyone could see any promblems in using 50mm squre tubing layed side buy side and bolted through, or would it be better to weld them together or use a soild piece of steele or aluminum.

I had mine fitted soon after purchase by the local (Tweed) dealer but I believe they no longer do it. There is 2 X 25 mm solid steel plates shaped to fit into the draw bar. Just be aware that lifting the hitch by 50 mm will lower the front of the van and your protection plate will bottom out more often.
DSCN4360 - Copy.JPG

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
This is a spacer we made at work very easy
most aliminium wholesale agents will stock the size you are after . And they make a 50mm solid peice that will fit the couplings . Mine is bigger than 50mm but i know you can get 50mm solid and i spoke to jayco head office before i did it.
So i did not lose my warranty
cheers E14

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 846

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
Thanks everyone for your reply's, have gone for 2x25mm steele plates, couldn't get aluminum. Chartrock I'm hoping to be able to lift my tow ball hight and cut 50mm off the hand brake protector.
Have those that have added the packers had to modify the hand brake to stop it striking the bottom plate
Thanks again, and love this site. Information galore

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
Jayco will give you the torque settings for the coupling bolts
They gave it to me I've just tried to find it and carnt find it will post it if I find it

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
Jayco will give you the torque settings for the coupling bolts
They gave it to me I've just tried to find it and carnt find it will post it if I find it

Expanda14, asked the guy at jayco service centre in coffs about that, told me to just tighten it as tight as i could?
If you can get that for me would be appreciate it

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi Bozzy, there's a thread on here somewhere where somebody modified the bottom of handbrake lever. Normally you would use a packer so that you don't need to have such a long drop down tongue for your tow ball eliminating the plough effect. Ideally your van should be level and if it already is then lifting the ball 50mm and putting a 50mm packer in will leave the handbrake protector plate at the same distance from the ground.

Basically once your van is level using a combination of ball height and packer (if you choose) then the only way to achieve more clearance would be to cut the plate off, hope this makes sense and i haven't miss understood you!

cheers.

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
Hi Bozzy, there's a thread on here somewhere where somebody modified the bottom of handbrake lever. Normally you would use a packer so that you don't need to have such a long drop down tongue for your tow ball eliminating the plough effect. Ideally your van should be level and if it already is then lifting the ball 50mm and putting a 50mm packer in will leave the handbrake protector plate at the same distance from the ground.

Basically once your van is level using a combination of ball height and packer (if you choose) then the only way to achieve more clearance would be to cut the plate off, hope this makes sense and i haven't miss understood you!

cheers.
Your spot on Burnsy thats exactly what I'm hoping to achive.
When we got the van we had to lower the the tow ball tongue about 70mm to level the van, since then have been hitting the ground in dips and steeper driveways. So a shorter drop down tongue, 50mm packer and cut 50mm off hand brake protector plate, as the brake lever will now be higher, should help fix the problem.

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
Your spot on Burnsy thats exactly what I'm hoping to achive.
When we got the van we had to lower the the tow ball tongue about 70mm to level the van, since then have been hitting the ground in dips and steeper driveways. So a shorter drop down tongue, 50mm packer and cut 50mm off hand brake protector plate, as the brake lever will now be higher, should help fix the problem.

Exact problem with my van
now it's great does not hit anymore

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
Hi straydingo, GREAT photo's and good idea with the break lever. I cut and re-welded mine at a different angle and had to use two 25x100 steel plates on top of each other for the packer, bit heavier then yours but all I could get. I'll try shaping them to the hitch later and cut down some weight, but at the moment we're getting the van ready for a trip to flinders rangers next week so they'll stay as rectangles for now.
Thanks for the info

Danniel

Mar 6, 2013
I just welded a new plate on top of the chassis and bolted it ontop. No clearance issues now. And not using longer bolts!!!!2013-03-23_09-07-06_294.jpg

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I just welded a new plate on top of the chassis and bolted it ontop. No clearance issues now. And not using longer bolts!!!!View attachment 12852

OK, I will be the first to put my hand up and admit that I have no experience with this particular subject, so may be wrong, but I remembered reading this post and thinking where we're the bolts?
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/my-accidental-experience-with-safety-chains.2315/

I'm sure there will be other forum members who can give more educated advice, but I would never rely on welding alone. I would get some bolts on there too. Better to be safe than sorry.......

Expanda14

Nov 14, 2012
Melbourne
I just welded a new plate on top of the chassis and bolted it ontop. No clearance issues now. And not using longer bolts!!!!View attachment 12852

Thats what I wanted to do weld the plate ontop but after speaking to Jayco head office
They told my I will void warranty and it will also not meet ADR rules because of the height
And checked with vicroads and there is a rule now about coupling heights
E14

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Lara, all vans just rely on the welding for that plate, whether it's on top of the A frame or under it. The bolts in question just hold the coupling to the welded plate. I would hate to think that bolt holes were drilled through the A frame to hold the plate on.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Lara, all vans just rely on the welding for that plate, whether it's on top of the A frame or under it. The bolts in question just hold the coupling to the welded plate. I would hate to think that bolt holes were drilled through the A frame to hold the plate on.

Good to know Chartrock, see I'm learning something new everyday!