4WD classification debacle..

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Have been watching this unfold on Facebook, with respect to the Ford Everest. Some say you can modify them, some say you can't. Glad we are still a little way off deciding the replacement for the Patrol.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What an interesting read, something else for the armchair warriors to yarp about....................................Me, ?? just carry on as usual but then The Ute is an N............

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Why would you bother, if you want height, big tyres and all that get a proper FWD in the first place then go to town spending your readies.....................a JGC doesn't make the cut either but if you want to stuff around with the suspension on them now as well as the rubber, 18 or 19" crap , just can't see why...................hidden regs like this have been around for yonks, nobody bothered, the same with this, except for the nuffs carrying on.

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Pardon my total ignorance but what is the debacle?

I'm certainly not up to speed with whatever the issue is.

:apologetic:

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
ANY vehicle can be raised or lowered 50mm as long as 2/3 of the suspension travel is retained.
Big tyres and towing heavy caravans is asking for trouble.
Anyway I'll be leaving mine standard, I'd have bought a 4x2 if they were out 12 months ago.
If im going 4WDing I'll use my Ranger, imho if anyone wants to go really serious 4WDing you really want an oldie that you have no respect for.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Why would you bother, if you want height, big tyres and all that get a proper FWD in the first place then go to town spending your readies.

I know a guy who put a 6" lift on a Suzuki Sierra & 37" tyre, custom front rear and side bar work with front and back winches, heaps bigger engine etc
it was his play toy - licensed as well

I asked why........... when my mate was building the bar work
his answer - because I can.............and its different

Reactions: Tone and Drover

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
So....if mine is standard (almost)....Patrol with airbags and no other real changes, I can survive in blissful ignorance?

Mine does exactly what I want it to do in 4wd and I don't get carried away with challenges these days...been there, done that and now much prefer to leave things simple.

Boring but easier.

;)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Why would you bother, if you want height, big tyres and all that get a proper FWD in the first place then go to town spending your readies...........

ANY vehicle can be raised or lowered 50mm as long as 2/3 of the suspension travel is retained.

some times funds dont stretch to having a play toy as well as a towing vehicle

imho if anyone wants to go really serious 4WDing you really want an oldie that you have no respect for.

I resemble that remark - but you have to respect me in the morning

true that, sometimes even though the cars / SUVs / 4WD are getting flasher than a rat with a Gold tooth
some times older technology is way better off road - (from a cost perspective as well)

when I had my first 40 series, I would have loved for it to drive on road like my LTD, even comfort inside like the LTD would have been ultimate
then they brought out the 60 series - oh joy - shear bl00dy luxury

fast forward 40 years of technology - my 100 series Kakadu is the ducks knutts
drives like a BMW M3 on road
not sure off road, I have a real 4wd for that

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Cmon @bigcol, your starting to talk to yourself............................

Suzi with a 6" lift, LJ80 with lift and tyres so you could look level at the bloke in a Cruiser, remember it well, not at all legal but very cool, drove like a pig at speed, thought you were going to fall over.....lol,lol....................

No way could I have a Toy, Tug and town car looking after them would be a big pain always had one to do the whole job................imagine 3 tanks of fuel, arrgghh.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I know - the dilemma I have is...............

keep the cruiser (and flog the guts out of it off road & towing) sell the Patrol
keep the patrol (already gets flogged off road & does all the towing) and sell the cruiser
down size 1 of them to a small run about

or

keep both and just live with it

hence why I still have both..........