3 Months in a Starcraft 17.58-1 w/14mo & 5yo

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
Hi All,
Just some rambling thoughts about what’s worked and not so far on our 3 month trip from SA to NT and WA. We are travelling in a Starcraft 17.58-1 with a 14 month old (crawling/standing) and a 5 year old (taken out of reception/school).
Currently we are nearly 2 weeks in and found the following:
1) 1500w kings inverter has been the best purchase. Didn’t think we needed it but use it daily when camping unpowered to microwave milk bottles, blend breakfast smoothies and run the toaster. Makes free camping so much easier.
2) Aldi instant up screened gazebo (don’t have an annexe) is another great purchase. Great to enjoy a fly less meal in Central Australia outside or a mozzie less evening outside. Super easy to setup and pack up and not as heavy as a typical gazebo although less sturdy.
3) IKEA high chair, fits assembled in the van (just) and great outside. Easy to clean and packs down well.
4) eBay Camping washing machine is a fail. Used once, lots of work to fill, refill to rinse and then spin dry is useless. Running the load through a CP washer/dryer was only $7 and much faster :(
5) DC to DC charger has been great also. No issues with running battery low even using the inverter as we have moved every second day for 3-4 hours driving time.
6) 3 way fridge drives me nuts. Still trying to figure out the right settings to avoid freezing the fridge or climbing above 4 degrees too far. I think compressor next time.

I’m sure I’ll think of more in time ;)

Andre