17' Series 2016 17-56.2 OB

Grant T

Sep 20, 2017
Brisbane
Hi all new here to the forum and are in the latter stages of acquiring our first Expanda. Ticking off the boxes before pick up and just wanted to gather some info on the 12 pin flat trailer outlet I'll need. After coming out of only a camper trailer with a 7 pin round I'll need to change my vehicle. I was told today by a company that changes then I might need to fit a DCDC charger. Anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks.

ChrisFatboySydney

Feb 29, 2016
Sydney
Hi all new here to the forum and are in the latter stages of acquiring our first Expanda. Ticking off the boxes before pick up and just wanted to gather some info on the 12 pin flat trailer outlet I'll need. After coming out of only a camper trailer with a 7 pin round I'll need to change my vehicle. I was told today by a company that changes then I might need to fit a DCDC charger. Anyone shed any light on this?
Thanks.

You won't need a DCDC charger normally.

The 12 pin is the same as the 7 pin essentially except it has two extra 12 volt power sources. One for a fridge and one to power the ESC if fitted.

The car doesn't generally charge the van battery while driving. If you need this maybe consider running a separate Anderson plug to the battery - it is only then that you might need a DCDC charger but in my case it charges mine fine without one although I also have solar on the van as well.

I didn't do it on mine but it is best to probably switch power on these only when the ignition is on to avoid draining the car battery by mistake when the engine is off.

The only other benefit is if you have a model with a slide out lounge or bed there is usually a safety hookup to disable the motor while power is available. In my case this means I have to disconnect the plug if I want to operate the slide out.

Here is the pinouts
IMG_3106.PNG
Chris

Last edited:

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
Thanks.
If you have a portable solar panel from your camper trailer days, you may want to get an extra Anderson plug on your drawer bar. Our portable solar panel, plugged into the extra Anderson plug, means we can charge the van's battery even when the roof mounted solar panel is in the shade.

Reactions: mfexpanda

Grant T

Sep 20, 2017
Brisbane
Hi Guys and thanks for the responses. If I'm reading it correctly am I right to assume that a DCDC charger is not necessarily required? I've been told some new model cars with variable output alternators may or may not?

Grant T

Sep 20, 2017
Brisbane
On another note I had an Elite Tow pro brake system fit to my tow vehicle. I don't believe its recognising the van brakes as the dial indicator doesn't light up whatsoever. Any ways to check the van braking system is working correctly? It is a second hand van but it passed RWC including that braking system.