2014 Colorado chip trial

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
I have just fitted the TDC power box CR Plus ($290 Ebay) to the ute and did some trials to see what effect if any it made. Currently has no engine mods except the tuner. Using a 3d accelerometer I did a rolling test from 40kph to 80kph in manual 3rd gear and logged the results. The box comes with 16 settings and I stepped up the tests in 2 step increments until the computer cracked the shits on what I suspect was rail overpressure alarm at setting 12. I have included graphs of baseline and the best setting of 8. I will be interested to get it on a dyno and see what it equates to but by my calculations average baseline acceleration was .275g while setting 8 gave me an average of .310g. A 13% improvement which for the Colorado takes it from 500nm to 565nm... Interestingly they quoted an improved figure of 559nm. I have only done a few K's so far but it feels a lot nicer to drive and will do an update when I tow the van in a few weeks time.

Baseline2.jpg
Position 8.jpg

Reactions: Pace and homerJ

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
Mate, be warned! The ecu doesn't detect EGT's. If it's over the top, you will fry your engine. A fuel rail chip is the worst thing you can ever put on your diesel - I found out and learnt the hard way myself with a chipit and new d40. Don't do it.

Reactions: Bluey

Stevie No Issues

May 29, 2014
Geelong
Mate, be warned! The ecu doesn't detect EGT's. If it's over the top, you will fry your engine. A fuel rail chip is the worst thing you can ever put on your diesel - I found out and learnt the hard way myself with a chipit and new d40. Don't do it.
Appreciate the advice but got it covered I think.. EGT goes in Thur so I have a good handle on temps before it gets loaded up and possibly overfuels. Im am interested in what sort of driving you were doing with the Navara to cause a failure? Were you towing with it or was it getting loaded up on hills etc? Do the chipit units have multiple settings and if so where was it set at? Any info would be great.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
A good mate had similar issues with a chip in his Navara. Thankfully no permanent damage done and all good once the chip was removed. It did cause some serious clenching on our annual pilgrimage to Batemans Bay when it went into limp mode though...o_O Car and 22 foot Starcraft on the side of the road.
I'll find out what chip it was.

Big Fish

Jun 9, 2014
Stevie, the issue is that it's a very primitive way to get more power. It's simply increasing the fuel rail pressure to get more diesel in at the standard injector opening. More diesel = more heat = higher egt.

My Navara's fuel rail died - it was a brand new car. It did that without towing a thing! It was only a mid range tune too. No real load to talk of. It spent 10 weeks in the Nissan service department while they tried to diagnose the problem!

I've got a new Ranger now and have had a proper ecu tune done by ECUWEST. This way, they can increase the fuel without increasing fuel rail pressure but also increase turbo boost (air) to keep egt actually lower than standard. Doing the ecu tune maintains all the factory safety limits too.

Just be real careful with them. I would not do it at all. Not worth the risk.

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
Checked the rail pressure on the Triton the other day at 110km/h around 28000psi. Don't know why people play with fuel pressures when as you said Big Fish they have dire consequences.

PeterV

Mar 25, 2015
Turramurra, NSW
We had a DP Chip installed in our Pajero by Artarmon Automotive a few months ago. Have done about 7000 ks since including the Darling River Run towing the Goldstream. We couldn't be happier with the chip and the improvement in torque and power that came with it. Granted we're not measuring the EGT, but Eddie at Artarmon Automotives, who has been looking after our car since new, was confident the chip would have no detrimental affects.