2011 Pajero NT Diesel.

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Good Evening All,

I am considering a change in tow vehicles we currently have a 2011 rwd territory diesel 7 seater which tows our 2015 17.561 tourer with uderslung axles. Whilst it has a tow rating of 2300kg once we put 6 -7 people (3 adults & 3 kids) it does start getting close to capacity the van weight empty is 1750kg with 400kg payload = 2150kg.We currently looking at a 2011 Pajero NT Activ seems like a good car only done 80,000 klms has electric brakes and an anderson plug & 12 pin plug. And the Boss likes it!!!

My questions are.

1. How would you rate the pajero against the territory - fuel economy, ride, towing capability.
2. Does the spare wheel getting in the way when hooking up i have a hayman reese wdh setup.
3. Am i being to cautious with my weights on the territory.
4. Would i still need a WDH with the Pajero.

We have used the territory twice with the new heavier van (previously had a 16.49.1) it performed wheel on both occasions. But on our last trip when i got home and removed the wdh bars which i do down the road from our house due to change of angles when reversing into our driveway the rar end was sagging badly something i haden't noticed before. I am no expert in all things mechanical, i had a look under the car and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary when i took the van off the car returned to normal ride heights.

Any input we be great!!!!!!

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Yes it's me AGAIN!!!!!

Just wondering if any of the Pajero owners could tell me the towbar hitch height to the centre hole from the ground please :attention:

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
Good Evening All,

I am considering a change in tow vehicles we currently have a 2011 rwd territory diesel 7 seater which tows our 2015 17.561 tourer with uderslung axles. Whilst it has a tow rating of 2300kg once we put 6 -7 people (3 adults & 3 kids) it does start getting close to capacity the van weight empty is 1750kg with 400kg payload = 2150kg.We currently looking at a 2011 Pajero NT Activ seems like a good car only done 80,000 klms has electric brakes and an anderson plug & 12 pin plug. And the Boss likes it!!!

My questions are.

1. How would you rate the pajero against the territory - fuel economy, ride, towing capability.
2. Does the spare wheel getting in the way when hooking up i have a hayman reese wdh setup.
3. Am i being to cautious with my weights on the territory.
4. Would i still need a WDH with the Pajero.

We have used the territory twice with the new heavier van (previously had a 16.49.1) it performed wheel on both occasions. But on our last trip when i got home and removed the wdh bars which i do down the road from our house due to change of angles when reversing into our driveway the rar end was sagging badly something i haden't noticed before. I am no expert in all things mechanical, i had a look under the car and couldn't see anything out of the ordinary when i took the van off the car returned to normal ride heights.

Any input we be great!!!!!!
Hi,
I have a 2014 Pajero and I just did my first run towing my 17.53-1 190kg tbw from Melbourne to Bathurst with wdh then onto Gold Coast without wdh. I found the Pajero towed it with no worries averaging 17 litres per 100ks. But I do push pretty hard too so I would expect a little better with a lighter right foot. Yes the spare wheel is a pain but you do get used to it. The only problem with the Pajero is the bloody squeak coming from the rear every time you go over a bump.
If you have anymore questions feel free to call me.
Cheers,
Can 0425 850 753

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I can give you a little bit of insight, having towed with both (albeit I had a turbo petrol Territory, and a petrol Pajero)
In our Terri I always used a WDH and I also had polyair bags in the rear that I inflated to 30psi with the van on. It towed quite well and was relatively level. I had a similar setup in the Pajero but I also had a 2" lift with Lovells HD springs with the polyairs and WDH. It sat nice a level.

I can't comment on the towing performance of the 2 diesels variants, but they will both be very similar I would imagine as both have similar engine specs. Unless you specifically need the offroad ability of the Pajero then if your weights as within spec I believe the Terri would be the better all round car to own.

BTW, if I had of seen this thread earlier I could have given you that measurement as I had my FIL's NT VRX that I just sold sitting here but took it up to the mechanic's this morning for a RWC

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
PS. You can also get a spare wheel lifter kit to help with clearance on the hitch with the Pajero, if it isn't already fitted.

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Ok didn't see this one before, the Pajero is a very under rated tow vehicle, it's biggest down fall is the reduce ball weight capacity when you exceed 2.5 ton

Generally with Outback model Jayco's or (any van) that has the coupling on the bottom of the drawbar the rear door clearance isn't a problem, provided it's fitted with the mentioned wheel lifter.
100_2397.JPG

If the van has the coupling on top of the drawer then you have 2 options, spend a couple of hundred dollars on a low profile hitch such as the many off road ones available or modify the standard hitch like below
2015-04-19 13.18.48.jpg

2015-04-19 13.19.11.jpg

Fuel wise, towing my 16-49-3 Expanda was average 13-15/100 km Towing the new van full height at approx. 2.5 ton average is around 16.5/100 km.

In saying that on a recent trip on the long weekend we got battered with strong head and side winds and was guzzling fuel at 18.5/100 used nearly 3/4 of a tank to do 300km.
Airbags and/or upgraded springs are a must for the Pajero weather you use a WDH or not but is recommended by Mitsi with ball weights above 135 kg..

Last edited:

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Thanks all,
As usual it always pays to talk to those that have real knowledge, after much tossing and turning, research and head scratching, we have decided to change from the Territory to the Pajero, hopefully picking up in the next few days. It was a hard decision because we love driving the territory but with tow specs so close to the mark it just wasn't worth the risk of being illegal and more importantly the safety of both my family and yours!!
Just as side note ford territory Specs as per owners manual
Rwd = 2300kg max with up to 5 occupants no luggage
2250kg = 5 occupants + 35kg luggage
2100kg = 6 occupants no luggage
2000kg = 7 occupants no luggage

So as you can see if all the kids are to come with us (Oldest is to cool to come with us - She will regret that one day ) we are well and truly over specs.

Just wonder how many others are in the same situation and don't even realize it.

Reactions: Bushman

TerriD

Feb 19, 2014
Northern NSW
Hi all, our rwd 2013 dieselTerritory tows our 17.58.3 star craft touring no dramas at all (all weights checked and well within specs),however, I keep coming back to the statement in the owners manual stating that your vehicle is primarily a passenger vehicle but you may tow with it if required (hardly the born tow image the salesman portrays before you buy the thing) and I am worried about the longjevity of the Territory if we still continue to tow with it.
So I have pensioned the Territory of to non towing duties and it will be used 'primarily as a passenger vehicle'. I did not want to purchase another brand new vehicle (particularly to go touring around australia ) so I found my self a one owner low k 2001 Pajero 3.5 petrol, I was wondering if any other members tow around the 2 tonne mark with the 3.5 litre Paj auto and what sort of fuel consumption to expect.
Regards Terrid

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
So we now have our new to us Pajero 2011 Activ diesel i'm really happy with it so far. The boss hasn't fallen in love with it yet but here's hoping!! my question this time is, the Pajero came with a hayman reese sentinial brake controller which i want to replace with my Tekonsa Primus IQ. Is it as simple as removing the old unit and reconnecting the Primus with existing wires i.e blue to blue / white to white and so on.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Most brake controllers I have had experience with have had compatible wiring...
Blue - To trailer brakes (Via plug)
White - Earth/Ground (Just love the American Standards)
Black - Power from battery via an auto reset-able circuit breaker (As Above re: standards)
Red - Feed from brakelight switch.

Reactions: Crusty181

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Hi all, our rwd 2013 dieselTerritory tows our 17.58.3 star craft touring no dramas at all (all weights checked and well within specs),however, I keep coming back to the statement in the owners manual stating that your vehicle is primarily a passenger vehicle but you may tow with it if required (hardly the born tow image the salesman portrays before you buy the thing) and I am worried about the longjevity of the Territory if we still continue to tow with it.
So I have pensioned the Territory of to non towing duties and it will be used 'primarily as a passenger vehicle'. I did not want to purchase another brand new vehicle (particularly to go touring around australia ) so I found my self a one owner low k 2001 Pajero 3.5 petrol, I was wondering if any other members tow around the 2 tonne mark with the 3.5 litre Paj auto and what sort of fuel consumption to expect.
Regards Terrid
@TerriD I've had 2 Territory's, but neither of them were diesel. I had an '04 petrol and an '08 petrol turbo. I've also had an '05 Pajero with the 3.8 V6 petrol. Personally, the Terri is a far more comfortable tow vehicle, in any format, than a petrol Pajero. I took the Pajero on a 23000K trip fully loaded with the Expanda at 2.4T and I averaged 30lt/100k. It was diabolically thirsty. My petrol turbo Territory that had over 300kw used 22lt/100k towing the van.
Horses for courses but I would use the Terri before the Paj.

Roadkill

Mar 24, 2013
SA
Hi,
I have a 2014 Pajero and I just did my first run towing my 17.53-1 190kg tbw from Melbourne to Bathurst with wdh then onto Gold Coast without wdh. I found the Pajero towed it with no worries averaging 17 litres per 100ks. But I do push pretty hard too so I would expect a little better with a lighter right foot. Yes the spare wheel is a pain but you do get used to it. The only problem with the Pajero is the bloody squeak coming from the rear every time you go over a bump.
If you have anymore questions feel free to call me.
Cheers,
Can 0425 850 753

Cammo, did you fix your rear end squeak in the Paj? Just check all the tow bar mounting bolts a once over with socket/spanner.

Cheers

Cammo

Oct 3, 2015
Melbourne
Cammo, did you fix your rear end squeak in the Paj? Just check all the tow bar mounting bolts a once over with socket/spanner.

Cheers
Hi Roadkill, yes I have gone over all the towbar bolts but makes no difference. I am thinking about nylon washers in between the bolts and towbar to see if makes a difference.
Cheers,
Cammo