2005 + outback expanda advice

Jim and Lainey

Jun 12, 2013
We are a young family looking to upgrade from a camper trailer to an outback expanda around 2005 model. Can anyone give us some guidance on how these van perform in the cold, wind and living in Victoria the rain - ( things like how does heater perform, does the canvas flap in wind, do they leak are they drafty). We are concerned that they may not offer any greater protection from the elements that our existing canvas camper. Any other comments regarding vans good and not so good points, things to look for when purchasing would also be appreciated.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Welcome Jim and Lainey. An Expanda runs rings around camper trailers in my experience (coming from ACT Consort, to Swan and FlamingoOB). We arrived at our Expanda after 30plus years of campers. I personally prefer a full van to pop-top for the extra space (higher overhead cupboards, etc.).

Mine has soft bed ends and is completely weather proof with the added end flys. Nicely insulated. Have the reverse cycle A/C and heats up quickly. Factor in the decent fridge, an en-suite and hot water service and you've got all the home comforts. You can live IN it, as well as with it.
Add solar and an extra battery (and LEDs) and you're ready to free camp for weeks at a time (if water supply handy).
My tip would be go as big as you can manage (price/towing/storage, etc.). A young family will easily expand to fill available space, but winter camping (or just rainy days) is much easier if your not tripping over each other.

Just browse through threads on this forum and you'll find plenty to inform your decision. Make some notes of sizes and layouts that appeal to you as well as the modifications that take your fancy. Your experience with a CT should give you a good sense of what appeals and what doesn't.

Good luck.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Welcome Jim and Lainey.
Any van is going to be warmer than a camper trailer simply because some part of the van at least has solid walls with insulation. But on top of that, you can also have a heater inbuilt in the van.
we had the pop top 16" originally. It heated fine. But we have now moved to the full height 18" and that baby heats up in no time And retains heat better.
If cold is a concern for you then my suggestion is to budget for a good thick set of aftermarket weatherproof bed ends. these are excellent for keeping the heat in also.

Reactions: Xpandafan

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
We had a 05,12.37 which was a fantastic van (fit in our garage too), although in bad weather it was a headache because there just wasnt enough room for us and to hang the wet clothing/towels.

we now have an 06, 14.44 which has a bed at the back and a shower and toilet, for the two of us it is perfect size, easy to tow and store and has all the comforts we need, we find the heater works extreamly well, however in damp weather it causes a lot of condensation on the cupboards which i cant imagine is good for the materials. The a/c also works well in warmer weather but not fantastc in extreme heat. The shower and toilet is great for bad weather as you dont need to leave the van, also if you have a little one those night toilet needs are made easier.

Both our expandas had regular flys, after a few runs we only put the flys out when rain was expected and found the canvas on its own was fine, the fly does however provide a bit more insulation, i imagine the waterproof flys would be even better. Out 12 had an annex we never used, now we have the 14 and a few things have changed we wish we had one and they are expensive so if you are looking at them and find one with an annex, even though you might not think you need it, it can be handy.

If i had a family i would go for a 16.49-3

we had a camper trailer between the 12 and 14 and missed the 12 every minute, hence the 14 was purchased after two trips in the trailer. The expandas dont get hot like a trailer tent, nor do they get as cold, you have less setup and more comfort.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I reckon it comes down to budget. There is no question that it is a step up from a camper trailer, and in my eyes well worth the $$$ as long as you have them in the first place! To date I have never heard of anyone regretting their purchase!

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Up until now I have owned a 2007 Expanda with bed flies and have never had any issues with water leaks or damp.Have had issues with moisture from icy cold frost inside from everyone sleeping/breathing etc but that happens in every van!

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
We are a young family looking to upgrade from a camper trailer to an outback expanda around 2005 model. Can anyone give us some guidance on how these van perform in the cold, wind and living in Victoria the rain - ( things like how does heater perform, does the canvas flap in wind, do they leak are they drafty). We are concerned that they may not offer any greater protection from the elements that our existing canvas camper. Any other comments regarding vans good and not so good points, things to look for when purchasing would also be appreciated.

Hi Just got back from a trip to W.A. we have a 2005 16 49.3 bugger they are good, it stood up to 100klm winds
and 80mm rain one night. yes it was noisey not much sleep no leaks.
when we bought it the bed ends were soft with moisture,but the problem was a rubber seal so for $40 and fiber glass for the ply problem solved.
we upgraded from a campervan still miss the camper but when you can pull off the Nullarbor drive down a dirt track
and within 20 mins have a hot shower glass of wine and watch a dvd because it cold and wet outside.
you gotta love it, next upgrade is a hard lid model .

regards Shiraz

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Hi Just got back from a trip to W.A. we have a 2005 16 49.3 bugger they are good, it stood up to 100klm winds
and 80mm rain one night. yes it was noisey not much sleep no leaks.
when we bought it the bed ends were soft with moisture,but the problem was a rubber seal so for $40 and fiber glass for the ply problem solved.
we upgraded from a campervan still miss the camper but when you can pull off the Nullarbor drive down a dirt track
and within 20 mins have a hot shower glass of wine and watch a dvd because it cold and wet outside.
you gotta love it, next upgrade is a hard lid model .

regards Shiraz
Gotta love that set up time :thumb:

Reactions: Xpandafan

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
we had a finch and swan camper then 2005 expanda now again 2011 16.49-1 outback expanda hard lids quick to set up no leaks and warm inside with heater on ( sold 2005 to upgrade to hard lids anything from end 2008) should have them. You will never look back stood up to strong winds and rain , no damp / wet beds when packing up also seems to be less condensation with the hard lids compared to the bed fly ends