2005 expanda rangehood not working

Alecia

Oct 30, 2021
Port Macquarie
Hi everyone,

We have a 2005 model, soft bed ends. We have owned the van for about a year now, we have found quite a lot that needs fixing that we didn't realize at the time of purchase.
However the rangehood was working but lately it has stopped and I cant for the life of me figure out. We have a battery that is attached to the setec unit that it originally came with, it was set up this way when we bought it. I have checked the fuses on the setec unit and even though they were fine, I replaced them but still no change. Also the power switch near the door makes no difference at all when flicked on or off, even to the lights. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you !

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi everyone,

We have a 2005 model, soft bed ends. We have owned the van for about a year now, we have found quite a lot that needs fixing that we didn't realize at the time of purchase.
However the rangehood was working but lately it has stopped and I cant for the life of me figure out. We have a battery that is attached to the setec unit that it originally came with, it was set up this way when we bought it. I have checked the fuses on the setec unit and even though they were fine, I replaced them but still no change. Also the power switch near the door makes no difference at all when flicked on or off, even to the lights. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you !
Hi @Alecia , I would start with a check of the battery under load. If battery tested satisfactory, try the range hood and lights when connected to 240v power. Even if the battery is cactus (fully discharged) your lights and other 12 volt things should work. If you have success with the 240 volt power connected, it is probably going to be the battery is stuffed and needs charging, that is if it will hold a charge. May have to have battery on charge for at least 36 hours to confirm if it will accept a charge and hold it. If you don't think the Setec BMS is working properly after having power switch to ON, connect up battery to a separate battery charger (10A or better). Also, make sure all loads are properly disconnected as parasitic loads (although small) can discharge any battery over time.

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Hi everyone,

Thank you !
My van is about the same vintage the range hood only works on 240 not 12 , the power switch near the door is that the the 240 circuit breaker or actual light switches ,maybe some photos to clarify the door switch could also be the Annex light which will do nothing if the outside switch is also off

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
My van is about the same vintage the range hood only works on 240 not 12 , the power switch near the door is that the the 240 circuit breaker or actual light switches ,maybe some photos to clarify the door switch could also be the Annex light which will do nothing if the outside switch is also off
Thanks for the update @poor but proud . I thought it was a 12 volt type. @Alecia, here is another option. With power turned OFF , see if you can rotate the fan blades by hand. You may have to remove the mesh cover. The blades should turn easily in both directions. Older units have been known to seize up after nearly 20 years owing lack of lubrication on shaft and bearings. If seized, you may be able to hear a slight hum from the fan motor indicating power to motor. After that, you are looking at checking if power is getting to motor - a task you should leave to an electrician. 240 volts is deadly if you do not know what you are doing!! If your 240 volt lights are not working also check your power points.

Reactions: poor but proud

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
Thanks for the update @poor but proud . I thought it was a 12 volt type. @Alecia, here is another option. With power turned OFF , see if you can rotate the fan blades by hand. You may have to remove the mesh cover. The blades should turn easily in both directions. Older units have been known to seize up after nearly 20 years owing lack of lubrication on shaft and bearings. If seized, you may be able to hear a slight hum from the fan motor indicating power to motor. After that, you are looking at checking if power is getting to motor - a task you should leave to an electrician. 240 volts is deadly if you do not know what you are doing!! If your 240 volt lights are not working also check your power points.
if there is power to the unit the light should come on. no fan no light.... no power

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
if there is power to the unit the light should come on. no fan no light.... no power
Correct. However @poor but proud , if fan has failed and bulb is also blown, then the one would not know if power to circuit. Probably both are not getting 240v to circuit. Multimeter time for those that know what they are doing and can check bulb firstly, before checking if 240 volts to fan terminals or even the switch, assuming fuse to fan is good..

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Thanks everyone ☺️ there's obviously no power getting to unit, no light or fan working! Will get someone qualified to check it out ! Been a great help thanks
If, as suggested, the rangehood is powered by 240V, there may probably be a 240V lead like any other 240V appliance and plugged into a 240V powerpoint to get power. Have a careful look around to find the power lead and see if it is plugged in and switched on.

Have you checked that all the other 240V appliances are working when you connect the van to 240V? Grab any old applince, e.g. a hair drier, and check that there is power to all the power points.

Mike

Last edited: