2003 Triton twin cab 4x4: are they any good

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Looks pretty clean Pete but I would loose the sun visor;). I don't know much about this model but @cruza driver had a diesel MK before his cruiser and said it was a good rig, he might be able to tell you more. Being petrol he will have to stay out of bog holes that his dad goes through lol.

Reactions: cruza driver

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Had one as a delivery vehicle at work, not bad, bit bouncey from memory(stock suspension), only criticism is was fairly heavy on juice.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
I had a V6 petrol 2000mdl before my 105 series as @17triton mentioned (not the diesel ;))

It had 90k on the clock and 190k when I sold it 3 years later, I was also a black/silver one.
I found low range fine they are a torquey motor down low. Mine was a duel fuel but I never used gas only ran it on petrol.
The heads on these were known to burn valves but some got more k's than others, mine never had that problem when I had it. I spotted my one in the HC one time and he mentioned he replace the clutch at around 230k I think (it was a while ago) I can't comment on the auto but make sure its been serviced.

Looking at that one, well the pics that do load, it looks like its been resprayed. They did fade in the paint around that era and by looking the bulbar that's quite faded to the rest of the car. Its also missing the rear tailgate badge/decal.

Get him to have a good crawl around underneath to check for offroad abuse too.

Is it for your son who went to Wombat?
If so make sure he thinks the front seat offers plenty of leg room too.

Also tell him not to follow you through any bog holes and stick behind @17triton ;)

Snorkle, winch,bullbar, canopy good extras for a nice ute. I found the rear end flex good as the leaf springs are nice and long. It had better flex than brothers Hilux of the same era. They were very underated imo and probably a better choice than the diesel in that model for performance.

tritoncrossingjamiesonriver-1.jpg

And when I sold it, minus uhf and driving lights etc I fitted foam cell shocks and it improved the ride enormously.
100_1203.jpg

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
I had a V6 petrol 2000mdl before my 105 series as @17triton mentioned (not the diesel ;))

It had 90k on the clock and 190k when I sold it 3 years later, I was also a black/silver one.
I found low range fine they are a torquey motor down low. Mine was a duel fuel but I never used gas only ran it on petrol.
The heads on these were known to burn valves but some got more k's than others, mine never had that problem when I had it. I spotted my one in the HC one time and he mentioned he replace the clutch at around 230k I think (it was a while ago) I can't comment on the auto but make sure its been serviced.

Looking at that one, well the pics that do load, it looks like its been resprayed. They did fade in the paint around that era and by looking the bulbar that's quite faded to the rest of the car. Its also missing the rear tailgate badge/decal.

Get him to have a good crawl around underneath to check for offroad abuse too.

Is it for your son who went to Wombat?
If so make sure he thinks the front seat offers plenty of leg room too.

Also tell him not to follow you through any bog holes and stick behind @17triton ;)

Snorkle, winch,bullbar, canopy good extras for a nice ute. I found the rear end flex good as the leaf springs are nice and long. It had better flex than brothers Hilux of the same era. They were very underated imo and probably a better choice than the diesel in that model for performance.

tritoncrossingjamiesonriver-1.jpg

And when I sold it, minus uhf and driving lights etc I fitted foam cell shocks and it improved the ride enormously.
100_1203.jpg

Thanks @cruza driver. Great info. Yep it is for the lad that came to wombat.

Thought the paint looked a bit odd just couldn't put my finger on why.

He's hell bent on buying a 4wd before i get home. Trying to steer him towards a deisel with less than 150k km on it. Once he's found something he feels serious about I've told him to get a mechanics report to detail any potential issues.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Good idea about the mechanic check and maybe get him to go through a few vehicle specific forums too for info as required, it will give a heads up at what to look for when inspecting any potential purchase.

The guy who bought mine still has it (since 07) as it still lives local so he must still like it :)

As for buying a diesel day to day serving etc will be a bit more than a petrol but there are some good buys around if he is willing to wait for the right one.

Reactions: peterg