17' Series 17.56.2

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
I have updated to a 17.56.2 and due to pick same up on the 15.12.16. I have a 2003 petrol prado with a tow bar rated 2.5
Any advice on towing and any problems to look for on the van

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Couple of questions @Glenn todd ...
Is it an Outback or Touring model?
What year if an Outback?

We have a 2014 17.56.2 Outback that was delivered just prior to the Jtech independent suspension coming out. (ATM of 2433kg)
It gets towed with a 2004 petrol Prado. Tows OK but does feel the hills!

As our setup won't fit a WDH System I fitted a heavy duty 35mm suspension lift kit, rear air bags and an adjustable tow hitch.
Once setup with van and Prado level (26psi in the airbags) it tows very well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol and Pace

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
Hi there thank you for your update on my concerns ,the van i am picking up is the touring model with a tare weight of
1865 kg. and a atm of 2349.
My Prado has a 2 inch lift kit and the suspension has been beefed up.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
My Prado has a 2 inch lift kit and the suspension has been beefed up

its not just a matter of getting bigger & heavier springs
that would make the car fell like it has no suspension - and you would end up a chiropractors best friend

you want something that is strong enough to do the job you want it to do - travel as comfortably off road as on road
with minimum damage to vehicle & suspension

but also able to tow, with all the added down force of the draw bar & actual towing

hence why alot of people get the airbags fitted - pump them up to help take the weight - let them down for normal driving usage

first port of call..............
head into your local Pedders Suspension place, and get them to do a thorough check - yes I know you have probably just spent $$$XYZ
but
are the bushes all ok
are the springs the right ones for you
are the shockies the right ones to do the job you want them to do
what about the Castor correction
are the diff's sitting where they should be

(I'm starting to sound like a very old grumpy man - but I dont mean to)

when I first started towing a van, my Cruiser at the time was lifted, locked, and loaded - cost an arm and a leg............
then, I found out my suspension - while great off road & on road - was not the best to use while towing a dead weight - more arms and legs needed to be found to buy new stuff - again

granted - it was the late 80's early 90's - and not much was really around - so it was dear as..............

but the point I am rambling towards is......... before spending your kids inheritance - have a bit of a research
get the report from Pedders - you dont have to get them to do the work, but it will give you a base line to start from

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
as col says go to pedders get there rear springs better than Toyota ones same height put air bags in them I like the Kevlar sleeves on them stops them rubbing heaps on springs and you can put more air in if eva needed as there stronger with the sleeves I put 25 psi in my bags best things eva 5 stars wont cost heaps either just do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Glenn todd

Sep 16, 2014
Hi There
I have noted all your suggestion and appreciate the trouble taken , I have had the lift kit done by Pedders and the Prado
Ride is good on road and off.
I will get air bags fitted in order to handle the extra weight.

Thanks once again.

Regards.

Reactions: dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have noted all your suggestion and appreciate the trouble taken

no trouble at all, if we can help in any way we try to

was just thinking, do you have a WDH (weight distribution hitch) for the new Van.............

I know some say they are the Ducks Nutts, while others are not impressed, or not able to fit them (@dagree )

might pay you to borrow a set after you pick up your beastie, just to try and evaluate

thats if you dont already have some

Reactions: dagree