17' Series 17.56.2 Drifter panel position

Jocoto

Jan 20, 2013
Hi everyone,
We have been long time readers of this great forum and would like if I could get some opinions from some more experienced members ?
Today we viewed our new 17.56.2 outback only to find that some things don't turn up as ordered. The most annoying of which is that the drifter control panel and solar display screens are both located on the the panel to the right side of the fridge facing the bunk beds. I have always seen them on the left of the fridge just above the dining table seats. I have asked for them to be moved so that they are easier to access and to read but the dealer is not very keen to help. I would have thought that they would have put a bit of thought into positioning these screens considering the price they charge for them. Is this a reasonable request ?
Thanks jocoto.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi everyone,
We have been long time readers of this great forum and would like if I could get some opinions from some more experienced members ?
Today we viewed our new 17.56.2 outback only to find that some things don't turn up as ordered. The most annoying of which is that the drifter control panel and solar display screens are both located on the the panel to the right side of the fridge facing the bunk beds. I have always seen them on the left of the fridge just above the dining table seats. I have asked for them to be moved so that they are easier to access and to read but the dealer is not very keen to help. I would have thought that they would have put a bit of thought into positioning these screens considering the price they charge for them. Is this a reasonable request ?
Thanks jocoto.
oh yes get them to move them my drifter is under micronuke and solar display is facing the dinning table on the panel next to micronuke ,,,,, that's not good enough there,,,, kids can play with them demand to have them moved !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's crap

Reactions: dagree

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
heres where mine are

not the best pic but you can see and that switch on the end of the seat was the hot water gas switch which I had them move into a cupboard near micronuke bugger me everything is near the nuke I stuffed the pics up very hard to see

kitchen.jpg
seats.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol

Jocoto

Jan 20, 2013
Thanks Bluey,
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, I feel a bit better knowing I'm not just being a fussy bugger. I'm starting to lose some of my enthusiasm for the van, this is actually our second go at it this year, our first van ordered in March turned up with the wrong vinyl floor, (salesman's mistake) the dealer said it couldn't be relaced so a new van had to be ordered. Now that there are a couple of things with this one that they aren't interested in fixing I'm almost over it. I guess when you walk into a dealer if you get a helpful or not so helpful salesman is just pot luck, unfortunately we ended up with the later. When you say demand to have them moved what are the options customers have in this situation when they call on Monday and tell me it cant be moved ??
Sorry I cant find a photo mate to show you.

Rusty02

Aug 16, 2015
Brisbane
Hi jocoto, I have asked the question about that. The dealer stated that they had problems with wiring being to close to the hot parts of the fridge and melting the insulation on the wires. They have moved it to the otherside for this reason. I agree, it is not the best spot considering the bunks are generally for kids. The only other place you could put it is either side of the entry door but it might get bumped.

Reactions: Jocoto

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Thanks Bluey,
I really appreciate you taking the time to reply, I feel a bit better knowing I'm not just being a fussy bugger. I'm starting to lose some of my enthusiasm for the van, this is actually our second go at it this year, our first van ordered in March turned up with the wrong vinyl floor, (salesman's mistake) the dealer said it couldn't be relaced so a new van had to be ordered. Now that there are a couple of things with this one that they aren't interested in fixing I'm almost over it. I guess when you walk into a dealer if you get a helpful or not so helpful salesman is just pot luck, unfortunately we ended up with the later. When you say demand to have them moved what are the options customers have in this situation when they call on Monday and tell me it cant be moved ??
Sorry I cant find a photo mate to show you.
that's no good options ????????? no final payment where are you from @Jocoto there are great dealers around don't let bad ones kill your dream but I know they don't make it easy they just haven't put them where they are sposed to be @dagree @bigcol @chartrock what can he do if they wont move stuff where he wants hes not asking for a sheepstation just move the bloody drifter and solar display

Reactions: Jocoto

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We have a local service centre (Gold Coast) which is not a dealership (they don't sell vans, just service and repair) but they are Jayco service agents. They have changed and moved things on our van under warranty with Jayco approval.

Where are you located @Jocoto?

Reactions: Jocoto and bigcol

Jocoto

Jan 20, 2013
Thanks bluey, bigcol, chartrock, dagree, rusty and mrjoel86, for your replies, and advise. Apologies for taking so long to get back to you. We are on the NSW mid north coast and our dealer is Port Macquarie. The van is home now and we are starting to love it. All of my control panels are still facing the bunks because they said the cost of moving them was too much. I said that I would accept the van if they provided me with a replacement panel and I would do the job myself. I was really tired and over the whole drama after it took 9 months and two vans. I did call jayco head office but they said they don't deal with issues like this and that I have to continue to talk to the dealer.

PS, I would like to ask another question about ball weight but im not sure of the right procedure. Do I have to start a seperate post ?

Reactions: Mrjoel86

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Did they agree with supplying the new panel @Jocoto ?
Have you done a search in here regarding ball weight as there has been a lot of discussions before?
Ask away here anyways and if not a lot of response start a new thread!

Jocoto

Jan 20, 2013
Did they agree with supplying the new panel @Jocoto ?
Have you done a search in here regarding ball weight as there has been a lot of discussions before?
Ask away here anyways and if not a lot of response start a new thread!
Yes dagree they did agree to supply a new panel, that was good enough for me, I was happy with that. In the end i just wanted to get the thing home and start fresh and have the family start to enjoy it.
I noticed you have the same model and I wondered what others ball weights were, I had it weighed on the weekend. With full water tanks and the weber in the font boot I'm at 260kg, the compliance plate on the van says max ball weight 238kg and the Prado's max is 250kg. I'm obviously missing something ?
Or else she's just heavy.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Jocoto The Max Ball Weight on ours is 196KGS. With the box, weber etc on the draw bar and spare relocated to the rear the actual on ours fluctuated between 190 and 225KGS on the tow ball scales! (Still need to take it over a weigh bridge to confirm exact weights)

Maybe try loading the van with some weight just behind the axles and see if that makes a difference.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Yes dagree they did agree to supply a new panel, that was good enough for me, I was happy with that. In the end i just wanted to get the thing home and start fresh and have the family start to enjoy it.
I noticed you have the same model and I wondered what others ball weights were, I had it weighed on the weekend. With full water tanks and the weber in the font boot I'm at 260kg, the compliance plate on the van says max ball weight 238kg and the Prado's max is 250kg. I'm obviously missing something ?
Or else she's just heavy.
My 2014 outback 1756-2 was too heavy for my prado towed it well but not legal so i got a cruiser there plates on the van are wrong a lot of the time i just have to iron out a few miner issues with cruiser still got my prado love it to bits just wish it was 3 tonne towing no cruiser needed then

Reactions: Mrjoel86

Jocoto

Jan 20, 2013
image.jpg
Went over the weigh bridge again today to double check,
Van while hitched to the car with full tanks 2100kg
Van unhitched free standing 2360kg
Ball weight 260kg, bluey was your weight over for the Prado on your tow ball or atm ?

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
View attachment 37674 Went over the weigh bridge again today to double check,
Van while hitched to the car with full tanks 2100kg
Van unhitched free standing 2360kg
Ball weight 260kg, bluey was your weight over for the Prado on your tow ball or both if it wasnt it was very close so you have to watch what you put in and never carry water i drove from jayco to reese bloke to have hitch fitted like you ball weight 265 only water on board nothing else should have got older model or changed to leaf springs as its a lot lighter that would have saved bying cruiser doh !!!! In saying that you want tow car heavier than van not just a bit but heavier i must say it feels a lot better or safer behind cruiser cause its bigger looks better to the prado looked to small its a big van but again the prado towed it well great fuel just a bit small i would go back to prado if i had too and find a wsy to deal with it if there is one

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Good ness me i just typed a heaps out and it didnt come up so here i go again

Both so you have to watch what you load in van and car and never carry water my ball weight was 265 only water on straight from dealer to reese bloke i should have got older model as there lighter or put leaf springs on mine to make it lighter prado towed it well but sits good behind cruiser as its heavier wider just feels better you want your tow car heavier than van not just a bit but heavier in saying that if i could lighten the van by putting leaf springs on i should have DOH !! My first post was better but it didnt work

Reactions: dagree