14 series Cabin light problem

laurie

Jan 2, 2013
Has anybody had a problem with the cabin lights blowing the fuse? (when the roof is down)
been back to Jayco dealer and they could not find any wiring problem (they fitted a heavier fuse and said problem fixed - guess what has blown again (seems funny is all ok when roof is up)

Cheers

Laurie

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi there Laurie,
I often have the lights on with roof down when I'm in our 16.49-1, and have never blown a fuse.
I'd be getting back in touch with Jayco and getting them to take another look. That shouldn't be happening.
Hope you get it sorted!

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Hi Laurie,
something is grounding when the roof is down creating a path to ground that is isolated when the roof is up. If the wiring is ok and undamaged as jayco suggest, I would suggest removing one light at a time and inspecting the wiring connections in the roof to see if there is an issue with an exposed connector touching a screw, as I believe the vans are all wired with a common ground. Also check that ground wire / negative is clear of the switch. You can also Lastly if that fails, an inspection of the light switch may be required to see if there is an exposed conductor near the frame of the van that come come in contact with the frame. Putting in a larger fuse is dangerous as the fuse is there for protection. Let me know how you go as there are some other things you can try if this does not reveal any issues.
Hope this helps,
cheers
Nick

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
Neved accept a bigger fuse as a solution to a problem. That's just asking to let the smoke out somewhere along the line.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
It could be a short where the wiring runs through the poptop and the problem is highlighted when the roof vinyl folds when lowered. The wires could be getting pinched somewhere?

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Hi Laurie,

Agree with all of above comments, I would be starting at the roof vinyl and checking for any possibility that an uninsulated wire is coming into contact with the frame (metal) or that a sharp object is allowed to pinch and penetrate the cable when the roof is down or that a join in the wire (soldered or otherwise) penetrates the cable insulation when pinched / squeezed against a metal object when roof is down.

laurie

Jan 2, 2013
Thank you everybody for your comments and advice - I have re-contacted Jayco and they have allowed me to have our local auto electrician have a look (van is under warranty and we live in remote area) when problem is found I will post result
Thanks again
Laurie

Reactions: Lara