Electrical 12V Water Pump Installation

rjstokes

Jun 5, 2013
Perth, WA
Hi McKenzie. It's been working a treat since I installed it. I did it as per my last diagram (i.e.. 2 separate systems entirely). The mains lines feed the mixer tap and a drawbar tap - the pump feeds a separate tap on the sink and the drawbar. It's got an isolation switch and the pump is under the van under a steel cover I made. The only addition I made was to put in an accumulator under the sink which serves to damp out any pressure fluctuations. Definitely worth while - its great to have pressure water available when your off mains power.

Cheers!

McKenzie

Jul 15, 2015
Brisbane
@rjstokes thank you. I'm waiting on delivery of our van. I'm completely new to the world of caravans. I don't know why. For some reason I thought there would be an electric pump standard. For all the dollars you pay.

Anyway it will be fun to install.

daznmel

Oct 21, 2013
Hi rjstokes,
I too have followed this thread with interest. I am looking at fitting a pump to my 17.56.1.
My mate had a 17.56.2, so I completely mapped out his plumbing to figure out how Jayco did it.
With a hot water system and shower in the mix, there are pipes going every where under his van.
Basically, there is only one non return valve on the mains input. The pump draws water from the pipe that goes to the hand pump.
There was a adjustable flow control valve after the pump, and connect via a T piece into the vans plumbing. The only other thing I did find was a water filter under the van from the tanks. (I found this interesting as my 17.56.1 does not have this filter). I suggest they relied on the built in flow value in the pump to prevent the mains water going through the pump to the tanks (unless the adjustable flow valve is also a non return valve)

I intend to maintain the one system, with the option of either mains or pump to my sink or external tap.
I will put two flow values, on on mains in, and one on pump output (like said earlier, do not trust built in pump one).
I will T piece off the hand pump line from tank, and connect output of pump via T Piece into the existing plumbing (before the T piece for the flick mixer at sink). Electronics for the pump via a switch.
I also indent to do this all under the van, with the pump mounted there somewhere.. My logic, if my water connections fail, I will not have water all through the van :), plus noisy pump outside.

Basically you have all confirmed my thinking, and I will go into it with a level of confidence.

Cheers !

GPM

Oct 6, 2017
Perth
IMG_2018.JPG
IMG_2019.JPG
My pump was also staying on too long after shutting the mixer tap - I noticed the pump was getting air in the line from somewhere. After some investigation as well as, reading up on one of Boots posts it turned out to be an air pocket just below the hand pump. So I fitted a non-return valve (good quality brass one) just below the hand pump. So far it works brilliantly

Reactions: chartrock

ianm67

May 17, 2021
Rouse Hill
Thanks guys for the input. Big effort taking time out to look at someone schematics! Here's my final take (I think!). I've applied in earnest the KISS principal. I'm thinking of replacing the <rather useless> pump tap with a spare filter type tap from our kitchen reno, and keeping the two systems completely separate. That way there's no non return valves to fail, minimal connections to leak but we still get pump water to the sink and to an external tap.

The only problem I can see is if the battery power fails (in which case it would be dark and not much fun anyway) or if the pump fails - we'd have to drain the tank into a bucket - or refit the pump tap I'll keep in the toolbox. Something like this :

View attachment 22745
Once this set up is installed does the fliter tap work as soon as it's pressed on?