16' Series 12V POWER

Nathan Tidy

Aug 16, 2017
Millicent SA
HI HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP JUST BROUGHT MY FIRST VAN A EXPANDA IF I WANT MY POWER POINTS TO WORK ON 12 VOLT WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO .AND ANOTHER THING THERE IS A CRADLE IN THE CUPBOARD BACK LEFT OF THE VAN THE CUPBOARD THE BED SITS ON WHAT WAS SUSPOSED TO BE THERE ITS EMPTY ANY HELP WOULD HELP THANKS.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Maybe the cradle is for a 12v battery?

As @Drover said, power points are only 240v. If you want to use 12v, you need the 12v battery, maybe in that cradle, and dedicated 12v sockets for 12v items like chargers and these have to be wired to the battery.

I'd suggest you do some reading about basic 12v setups before you spend $$$$ so you have some idea of what your needs will be and the best setup for you. Everyone is different.

alexvk2

Nov 30, 2016
Sydney
It would be a serious undertaking to be able to switch all the 240v over to battery/inverter - work out your power requirement and get a Pure Sinewave inverter to suit the need - as suggested get someone experienced or do research.
PS with respect .. capitals are harder to read and are akin to shouting.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
If you have a big battery setup you can get inverters which will automatically switch over to 12v when main 240v is not supplied and run your power points as 240v but you will need very fat wallet

best option is a more basic inverter to supply 240v based on what you want to run - coffee machines need big :)
I have a 600w inverter but found that only van things I can not run is microwave and a/c
Everything I get I try to get 12v. (phone/tablet/camera chargers etc)

Last edited:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
the cradle actually sounds to me like the one for the Safe...............? or the Jack.....................?

as others have said, your power points are ALL 240V
if your wanting 12V you need to workout WHAT you are wanting to run
Microwaves, Coffee Machines, Air Conditioners all suck HUGE amounts of power to run so you could be / should be looking at a Generator for those if you really need them

if your just wanting something for charging Laptops and such get the biggest Pure Sine Inverter you can afford
but
you will need the battery power to run it..........

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
My concern is that the OP is unsure of what is what at this stage so maybe leave the idea of an inverter till he carries out the first steps?.

1. Research
2 identification of items fitted or not fitted
3. Identification of needs
4. Decision on how needs can be met
5. Get someone qualified and sensible to do it after the above steps have been taken, unless he's confident and capable of doing it himself.

(I know I'm not prepared to muck around with 240 unless I'm absolutely sure I'm not going to be fried...12v I'm happy with, but definately not 240v)

Best wishes with the challenges of getting a van! Just take it a step at a time.