12 Volt System Query

JASA

Mar 15, 2013
Melbourne Vic.
Hi All,

Does the 12 volt system work in the van (17.56-1 OB) while we are travelling?

I'm planning to stick the Waeco in the van instead of the cruiser (as we are carrying an extra person this weekend) but thought I'd better check before possibly finding out the hard way!

Thanks, James

Aug 29, 2013
Warradale SA
Hi JASA, if you've got a ciggie plug socket in the van then the answer is yes if not you may be able to get a connection from the battery to socket to plug the fridge into, you be able to get one from Jaycar.

Gavin

Reactions: JASA

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey @JASA , I also travel with my waeco in van. The waeco's are a bit sensitive to voltage drop due to small gauge wiring in lighter sockets, so if you have any dramas with it replace the wiring or install a new socket with at least 6mm twin cable. Another thing, make sure you sit it on something non slip and thick.....I had marks in the soft lino floor for days from the feet on the waeco!
Cheers.

Carpediem

May 11, 2015
Perth
Yes and no:
Generally the van will have a 100Ah battery and a solar panel charging it. There usually is a 12 volt lead in your trailer light plug that will trickle charge your van battery if it is connected up.

If you have your 12 volt van switch on the system will output 12 volts to your cigarette lighter style plugs and it will power your Weaco..
Hee is the no bit: Depending on your ambient temp and how long you want to run it for you may find that you drain your 100 Ah battery. generally if you are only travelling for a couple hours in mid 12 deg temp you will be fine, especially if you have solar putting a bit in.

Depending on which Weaco you are using, they will use about about between 2.5 and 8 Amps per hour. if we take the mid point and say it uses 5 Amps per hour, theoretically, with a 100 amp Hour battery you can run it for 20 hours to dead flat.. But you do not want to do that for a number of reason I can go into later if you like. Generally you want to keep your van deep cycle battery above 50% or you will reduce it's life significantly. So lets say 10 hours of running.. That should get you to most places you need to go...

Anyway, if I've confused you.. My apologies.

john hayward

Dec 31, 2012
If the Waeco was in the van and drawing say 5amps per hour from a 12 volt outlet, then how much are the batteries being recharged from the car when being towed (with no solar)?
The reason that I ask is that early in my caravanning "career" I was free camping and using my generator each day to recharge the two 120 amp batteries. Unfortunately the batteries weren't recharging. It was pointed out to me that as I was still running my Waeco on 12volt during the recharge that it was drawing as much as the battery charger was putting in. So I changed the Waeco over to 240 during the recharge.
Subsequently I always carry the Waeco in the navarra whilst travelling to give the van batteries a chance to recharge.
Right or wrong???

Carpediem

May 11, 2015
Perth
Hi John,

I guess there are two parts to answer:
1: How much charge is flowing to batteries when towing?
2: Why your batteries ran down when charging with the generator.

To answer Part 1:
From my experience, Jayco just run a small lead from the trailer plug. Usually these only go direct into the 12 volt van system which now-a-days is not sufficient for a number of reasons to keep up with most loads let alone charge the battery or at least keep it floating.

There are a few reason for this.
1. Over the distance from your car battery to your van battery, with a small gauge cable, with the cable being small gauge you limit the current due to the volt drop. So in reality, you might be lucky to get a couple amps.
2. These style of connections do little for battery management and with today's brand new alternators, they are struggling. New alternators drop their output significantly to help with emission control ratings so you are up against the wall.

The answer:
In my opinion, if you want to draw a nice load form your house (Van) battery, you need a decent charger (15-20 amps) and one that is designed for the job, preferably a 3-5 stage charger that will look after your significant battery investment.

Redarc make a couple of nice versions of these. The BCDC 12/20 is a nice compact unit that will do the job and the BMS1215 is the Rolls Royce Battery Management system that allows you to view battery status etc.

The big thing with these pieces of kit is that they will help manage your batteries charge rate depending on its status and also help compensate for inadequate wiring circuits from your car battery to house battery. Ideally you want a nice gauge cable running all the way via Anderson style connection at the car hitch area.

Part 2:
Without knowing your full setup at the time, I suggest that the charger you were using off your generator (I am guessing it was 240Volt charger that outputted 12 volts etc) that is was too small and was only a few amps. Again, maybe enough to keep up with your Waeco but not enough to also recharge it from the night before use.

Just think of it all like water tanks, hoses and pumps. The bigger the pump, the more flow it can push out, the bigger the pipe, the more flow you get due to less resistance and the bigger the tank, the longer it takes to empty it - and fill it..

Ideally, you never want to empty a battery bank more than 50% as it effects their life length, secondly you need to keep them floated (solar usually does this) and thirdly, you want to charge them gently (via a 3-5 stage charger)

One thing that catches a lot of people out is that a 3-5 stage charger will slow the charge rates down a lot during the last 15% odd percent when topping up to 100%. Hence the charge rate is non linear.

If your roughing it and have no battery management systems. Best option is have a Redarc BCDC12/20 (to charger from your car) fitted and a good 240Volt charger to fill it with geneset and then occasionally measure your battery voltage with a meter. The voltage will give a pretty good idea of the state of charge. I fitted the BMS as it Auto switches between Car//240/Sol depending on which is available.

Hope that all makes sense.

cheers
Troy

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 2.23.16 pm.png

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
To help you decide on what voltage you want to draw down to...
Just remember this chart is depth of discharge while the above is percentage of charge
10% DOD is 90% charged or 60% DOD is 40% charged
AGM-cycle_life2.png