Electrical Which Brake Controller?

Tricky

Nov 10, 2012
Eltham Victoria
Need to update my brake controller ready for the new van. The new van is an Expanda18.58.1 with ESC fitted.

Seems to be many choices but obviously would need to be a proportional unit.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

Last edited:

Red1

Sep 14, 2013
Emerald Qld
We had a teckonsha but it died. Have now fitted the new Redarc unit. Much better. Easier to operate and I no longer bash my knee on it as the Redarc is very small and mounts into a blank in the dash.
Cheers
David

Reactions: bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We have the Tekonsha P3, and been very happy with it, but as @Red1 mentioned it tends to get in the way of the knees. Redarc is gaining traction against Tekonsha as the unit of choice.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I have the Tekonsha as well, and if I was to be updating, then the Redarc Pro would be the way to go

a little more expensive than the Tekonsha, but by all account a very good unit

Reactions: Crusty181

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I've had the Tekonsha Primus IQ and now the P3.... Both have been trouble free and worked well but as @Crusty181 and @bigcol say they do get in the way depending where fitted. Just had a Readarc Pro fitted to a truck at work and I like the idea of mounting the main unit out of sight with just a small dial and light mounted in the dash where you want it.

Will be trying the Redarc next when needing to upgrade (Unless something new is out by then!!)

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@dagree is the Redarc proportional ... I opted for the Tekonsha because of that plus its ability to be quite finely tuned. Everybody that has the Redarc loves them, but I still like features of the Tekonsha .... even if I have to sit like a frog to drive the car

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Crusty181 The newer model Tow-Pro has "Inertia sensing" which I take is the same as proportional!
I'm used to the Tekonsha and I'm the kind of person to stick with what I know! Apart from that my legs aren't that long that the unit gets in my way but would be different if I was 6' or taller.....

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I have an old tekonsha unit at the moment, probably close to 18 years it has been running for and works ok. When I have a spare 5 minutes I will be swapping it for the Redarc unit I had installed in my ute. Much easier to operate and won't be as good as unsightly under the dash

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Tricky i have the Redarc Tow Pro which is proportional and compatible with our ESC.

The main benefit is the lack of the knee banging control unit

This is ours

image.jpg

Doug

Jun 3, 2015
Leeming / Perth
I have the Towpro and it does the job really well. No big components to mount around the knees. They aren't too expensive either a supplier in Perth was selling them for around the $235 mark plus install.