20' Series What Else ?? - 21.63 Outback Expanda

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Get out the measuring tape - oh no, doesn't fit down the side of the house where camper went. Now need a brick saw to widen the gate.

I know that feeling well.........
my Flamingo used to fit neatly inside out back gates - 25mm each side thank you
get the Expanda home
just cannot for the life of me get it to go through the gates....... WTF,,,,,,,,,,,,

ahhhh I forgot to allow for the awning arm didnt I....................

part of the fence ripped out - quick gate made and fitted - now the sod fits...............
just had to spend more on getting the paving done............

never ending

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi @Melanie and Gavin Cockran, are you getting a 21.64 or a 20.63 ?

we have the 21.64-1 2104 Outback. The roof hatches are actually very good, and have the built in insect screens and blinds. I wouldn't call them flimsy, provided you treat them properly, they should last for a long time. They block the light out very well.

We also got the washing machine, and the 180 litre fridge. Also got the IBIS Air-conditioner, but in retrospect, I wouldn't spend the extra on that to get the heating as its very noisy on heat. Better off with an oil filled electric or diesel heater is your going to use it in cold weather.

Extended draw bar is something else to consider.

The slider is one of the best features of the 21, makes it huge inside and only takes 5 secs to slide it out a little way to jump into the van if you need to.

One mod that I made, but would have asked the factory for if I realised is a door from inside into the rear tunnel boot.

As standard, you need to have the rear bed down to get into this storage compartment, which is a real pain. I added a door into it from inside so we can access it even if the bed is still up. 20745-0bb6243de221410d32cb66b84bcac600.jpg20746-c1674085042938c43e6c665a9daf43dc.jpg

Oct 6, 2014
Bicton, Perth
Hi @Melanie and Gavin Cockran, are you getting a 21.64 or a 20.63 ?

we have the 21.64-1 2104 Outback. The roof hatches are actually very good, and have the built in insect screens and blinds. I wouldn't call them flimsy, provided you treat them properly, they should last for a long time. They block the light out very well.

We also got the washing machine, and the 180 litre fridge. Also got the IBIS Air-conditioner, but in retrospect, I wouldn't spend the extra on that to get the heating as its very noisy on heat. Better off with an oil filled electric or diesel heater is your going to use it in cold weather.

Extended draw bar is something else to consider.

The slider is one of the best features of the 21, makes it huge inside and only takes 5 secs to slide it out a little way to jump into the van if you need to.

One mod that I made, but would have asked the factory for if I realised is a door from inside into the rear tunnel boot.

As standard, you need to have the rear bed down to get into this storage compartment, which is a real pain. I added a door into it from inside so we can access it even if the bed is still up.View attachment 28125View attachment 28126
Thanks for that info.

We have ordered the 21.64, same as my brother and sister in law and they were a bit disappointed when they took the van away the first weekend. Van nice and dark to sleep in the morning except for these two skylights in the ceiling. When I questioned the sales guy he said that Jayco WA didn't fit them as they thought their life spam was only about 12 months and didn't want a load of warranty work. All well and good but I did point out that they are clearly pictured in their brochure and it cost my brother another $80 to retro fit the ones he's got, done himself. Like yours, I think I will just insist on the standard ones you guys seem to get in the east. Thanks for the pic about the rear cupboard. Will definitely have included.
Funny, it was a cold weekend when he took his van away and he too mentioned that he would probably keep his oil heater. I wonder what the Coleman will be like? Might not get rid of our heater just yet. Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
That sounds like a nice van, but if it's the OB you've ordered you may well be over the rated towing limit of the MUX.
I'd be checking that out firstly before signing on the dotted line, the touring model may be under, but not by much either I suspect, with options.

Oct 6, 2014
Bicton, Perth
That sounds like a nice van, but if it's the OB you've ordered you may well be over the rated towing limit of the MUX.
I'd be checking that out firstly before signing on the dotted line, the touring model may be under, but not by much either I suspect, with options.

Thanks Matty, yeah fully loaded to the outback stage (water etc) there would only be a bee's you know what in it but standard TARE (2575kg) is well under. We aren't having bike racks, extra A frame etc and travel pretty lean. We also don't go off road too much so don't require tanks of water etc.
2014 ISUZU MU-X LS-T 4x4

Style: Seven-seat medium wagon
Engine: 3.0-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel
Output: 130kW/380Nm
Transmission: Five-speed automatic
Fuel: 8.4L/100km (combined)
CO2: 214g/km (combined)
Safety rating: Five-star ANCAP
Kerb weight: 2020kg
Towing: 3000kg braked, 300kg ball weight
Price: $49,990 (drive-away)

Dealer was saying how someone on the east coast has had one modified to tow a fifth wheeler???

Would be interested in your feedback though.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks Matty, yeah fully loaded to the outback stage (water etc) there would only be a bee's you know what in it but standard TARE (2575kg) is well under. We aren't having bike racks, extra A frame etc and travel pretty lean. We also don't go off road too much so don't require tanks of water etc.
2014 ISUZU MU-X LS-T 4x4

Dealer was saying how someone on the east coast has had one modified to tow a fifth wheeler???

Sorry, could be another tale of woe coming.

The Tare is the unladen weight. ATM is the aggregate trailer mass, and it's the ATM that's used for the towing capacity.

The ATM of my 21.64-1 OB is 3091kg, this not towable by a 3000kg towing capacity.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2014
Bicton, Perth
91kg that sucks doesn't it. Back to Jayco on Monday we go. We might have to look at non OB option which is 200kg less. Just need to work out what Jayco base 3091 to see what we can do. Isn't worth spending another $30,000 at least on a car to fix 91kg lol.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I guess my real concern (without sounding like a know-it-all) is that you're going to be towing a 3T van with a 2T car that is well underpowered and under-rated for that size van.
A 4cyl diesel with 380nm of torque isn't going to like any hill or incline much.

Also, why would you need to spend another $30K, a current Jeep with 570nm of torque and 3.5T towing can be had for ~$55K, possibly less if it's a demonstrator.

Reactions: cruza driver
Oct 6, 2014
Bicton, Perth
I guess my real concern (without sounding like a know-it-all) is that you're going to be towing a 3T van with a 2T car that is well underpowered and under-rated for that size van.
A 4cyl diesel with 380nm of torque isn't going to like any hill or incline much.

Also, why would you need to spend another $30K, a current Jeep with 570nm of torque and 3.5T towing can be had for ~$55K, possibly less if it's a demonstrator.

No wonder its confusing. Everything we've seen and read says Mux will do it easily. See below. Not sounding like a know-it-all because we know very little and are happy to have the advice. Just want to pull a van safely.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/advice/tow-test-isuzu-mu-x-2014-41234?WT.seg_4=NEDM

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
No wonder its confusing. Everything we've seen and read says Mux will do it easily. See below. Not sounding like a know-it-all because we know very little and are happy to have the advice. Just want to pull a van safely.

http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/advice/tow-test-isuzu-mu-x-2014-41234?WT.seg_4=NEDM
The guy that wrote that review must have been given a free car, $1000 and is the son of Mr Isuzu. 130kw/380nm towing a 3t van "barely braking a sweat" .... it must have a 13 speed gear box. Great advice @Matty4 and @Bellbirdweb

Reactions: bigcol

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Our tale of woe, maybe my husbands, started when we spent the weekend in the lovely Swan Valley with my brother/sister in law. Us in our Coromal Pop Up, them in their brand new 21.63 Outback Expanda. Setting the scene, it was pouring with rain. Bro/sis in law waving out the window with a hot coffee, us in our condom type raincoats winding up camper. Scenario conclusion for my husband - me stating never again but then the chain reaction starts.

Order 21.63 (final plans not done yet) for delivery in March 2015. Oh no, 2003 Pajero can barely pull small camper. Husband has to upgrade to Isuzu MUX. That's OK. Get out the measuring tape - oh no, doesn't fit down the side of the house where camper went. Now need a brick saw to widen the gate.

Then I get the heads up from dawn mark about awesome website which I start reading and OMG i think I liked ignorant bliss. Anyway, before we do final plans here's what i've asked the dealer already.

Blinds on skylights - they won't use the ones with blinds, reckon they're to flimsy and break. My brother had to retro fit 2 at $40 each.
Air cond - Is now standard Coleman Mach 3
Extra Cupboard - under the bunk bed
Sway bars - should we get Jayco to fit?
Electric mover for tight fit down the side?
Best towing gear?

Anything Else???!!!!

We are getting both entertainment packs (in and out), Annexe with wall in the middle to make a room,
and oven.

Thanks, all information greatly appreciated.
outside tv point fridge fan but outside tv point is really good if no mozzies put it on the external table all good

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Pretty obvious we know nothing about cars. Might look at the Jeep option too or not getting the OB option. Thanks for your help.

There are quite a few 3500 kg brake towing capacity vehicles around such at the BT50, Jeep, VW Amarok etc.

Interestingly some of the sites I have seen state the MUX at 3500lg.

I thing some detailed research is warranted.

Oct 6, 2014
Bicton, Perth
The guy that wrote that review must have been given a free car, $1000 and is the son of Mr Isuzu. 130kw/380nm towing a 3t van "barely braking a sweat" .... it must have a 13 speed gear box. Great advice @Matty4 and @Bellbirdweb

This one is from motoring.com.au

The MU-X also lives up to Izuzu’s three tonne towing claims. With a big, three-tonne off-road caravan hitched up, it barely broke a sweat along a route that included 100km/h highways and twisty coastal stretches along Victoria’s Great Ocean Road.

It accelerated strongly from standstill and simply dropped down a gear or two to maintain or increase pace up steeper hills, without needing to over-rev. To cope with the heavy load the auto mainly opted for fourth gear when cruising on the freeway, revving just over 2000rpm. Manually upshifting to fifth dropped revs by around 200rpm but without affecting performance too much.

With the maximum 300kg on the towball, the MU-X also remained level at the rear with no suspension ‘sag’. While heavier vehicles like the Land Rover Discovery provide more stable towing platforms, the MU-X did feel more planted on the road with the big trailer behind, despite being 1000kg lighter than the van.

Switching the dial to 4WD High also ensured smooth take-offs on slippery dirt and gravel roads.

The MU-X also delivered decent fuel economy. Over more than 900km, it got down as low as 7.5L/100km on the highway, rising to a more realistic 9.0L/100km average around town. Towing almost doubled average consumption to 16.5L/100km – still not bad considering the van’s weight.

And this one from the NRMA

Featuring Isuzu’s 3.0-litre, four-cylinder turbo diesel engine, it produces 130kW and 380Nm. This is mated to a five-speed manual or automatic transmission.

Interestingly, these are lower numbers that its most obvious rival, the Holden Colorado7, which makes 147kW and 500Nm of torque. The Holden is only offered with a six-speed automatic. Compared to the Colorado7, however, the Isuzu reaches its maximum torque figure earlier and holds onto it longer. According to Isuzu, this is an intentional difference that’s designed to increase the reliability and engine life of the car. Isuzu believes the engine will be good for 500,000km if looked after correctly. Bucking the trend of its rivals, Isuzu will also offer two 4x2 versions for those who want the height and space, but don’t need the off-road capability.

In the Isuzu test by Australian Caravan and RV with NRMA with were towing a large Avida Van.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Just can't see how a car with those specs can drag a 3t van and described it as easily. I suppose "easily" is a subjective statement. Ive been wrong more often than Ive been right (just ask my partner), but I had similar specs on my last car, and my old van was half the weight; I would never describe that combo as "not braking a sweat". I would feel better, personally, having test towed with it I suppose.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If you don't need outback, just go factory underslung. My friend deleted the slide out in their 20-63 purely to save weight. (but the slide out is great, shame they don't do an 18 with one anymore). All the stuff you take away does add up, I am going to take mine to a weigh bridge soon.
Would you consider a twin cab ute with canopy? I love our BT50 for going away.

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
2014 ISUZU MU-X LS-T 4x4

Our dealer says ours will come in at approx 2900kg. Not sure if that's the ATM or not, and not sure which is heavier, the ensuite or our cupboards.