What do you put on the floor?

Angus

Apr 13, 2012
Brisbane
The carpet protects the original floor covering. Take it out when you trade up – and it can really add to re-sale value, if you've looked after the rest of your van, of course. We've done it twice now.
We done that with our last van when selling the buyers commented on the floor looking in good condition, we told them that we had carpet on it since new.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
We done that with our last van when selling the buyers commented on the floor looking in good condition, we told them that we had carpet on it since new.

I think leaving it carpeted looks good too and with the insulation and sound properties it's a good cheap mod ('bout $100 depending on your van).

Sterlo1

Aug 27, 2012
Narellan Vale, NSW
Jaybird, I did our Sterling 21.65-3 with the Bunnings carpet tiles. They weighed 980gm each and our van (up to ensuite) took 20 tiles = 19.6kg added.
Cheers Paul.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Agree with chartrock between 5 and 8kg max. I used best quality, but offcuts from house or office job lots or "seconds". Usually more left over than goes in van but ofter make a few mats from scraps or add bits to lockers or under seat storage for insulation and sound proofing. Brookes2622 is right on price - I paid $85 for last lot - it's a cheap mod that really makes a difference. Find a carpet layer in you general area if possible and have a chat, might be able to get a good bit from a carpet replacement job. I got first lot from a bank building that was being redecorated - almost (not quite) paid me to take it away. Use special carpet tape for really neat joins and can do in two or three sections. Keep a bit spare to replace any real worn areas or accident spots if needed.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Just an update. We got the new CREAM carpet for the Expanda this afternoon 2 pcs (4m x 2m[$50] and 3.9m x 1.35m[$28] That's 13+ sq m for $80 including a roll of double sided tape (Western Distributors, Sunshine).
Took an hour to choose! Marked slightly soiled but can't see anything at all. Probably enough for at least two vans, but this carpet has a directional pattern in it and my resident Interior Designer (SWMBO) prefers patterns to match. Inside the 18 is well over 4m but will join under table.
Now have to measure twice, then get someone else to measure and cut!
Will take pics as I go. ID would like a mat for the door way and kitchen area in front of stove and sink (carpet to protect carpet) Going overboard as we did with our Swan and Flamingo. BTW somebody just called in and gave us the strangest looks when we explained what we were doing with 8sq m carpet spread out in our lounge. You really need to be an Expanda owner I think.

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
We meet a guy up at Moore River a while ago who had the perfect answer to prevent stuff coming in on van floor...artificial turf. He rolls it up and ties it to the A frame. The kids can wipe their feet on it and he just hoses it down. Expensive but I guess you could have a strip near the door. He said its good in sandy and wet conditions. He was a landscape guy so scored it for free but I guess a strip may not be too expensive, Food for thought though.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
We meet a guy up at Moore River a while ago who had the perfect answer to prevent stuff coming in on van floor...artificial turf. He rolls it up and ties it to the A frame. The kids can wipe their feet on it and he just hoses it down. Expensive but I guess you could have a strip near the door. He said its good in sandy and wet conditions. He was a landscape guy so scored it for free but I guess a strip may not be too expensive, Food for thought though.

I have ad some astro turf for years. It's not pleasant under foot IMO. But have seen it wrapped around the step to make a pre mat and I think it would be perfect for that.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I have ad some astro turf for years. It's not pleasant under foot IMO. But have seen it wrapped around the step to make a pre mat and I think it would be perfect for that.
I saw a particular product sold for that purpose a few years back, but haven't been able to find it since (now that I actually want it). They all seem to be just a piece of lightweight green carpet wrapping around the step now, rather than something bush to get the crud off.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I saw a particular product sold for that purpose a few years back, but haven't been able to find it since (now that I actually want it). They all seem to be just a piece of lightweight green carpet wrapping around the step now, rather than something bush to get the crud off.

Yeah the stuff you would want is a longer pile. Maybe try the professional sports equipment installers, the stuff used to be up to 50mm Long in the pile so that it could be topped with sand depending on what sort of playing field they needed.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
So I finished the job. Disclaimer: I am not a carpet layer. I didn't have too much trouble though the floor on the 17 is an odd shape so cutting a single piece of carpet would be a PITA. Here is a piccie of the finished job:

2012-09-16 16.04.41.jpg

I have a bit of a gap near the front door but the tile cut is an odd one so I'll leave it until I have to replace it. Works well. The colour is so close to the Jayco brown on the step it's untrue.

Reactions: Megs

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Very neat job. Just finished laying the carpet in the 18. Same odd shape – my Interior Designer (SWMBO) made a full size paper template so we got it pretty right.
Looks great and feels terrific underfoot. Will post some pics tomorrow.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Nice job brooksy. Looks like a factory fit!

Thanks goodness for the irregularities of modern photography, but then I did it so notice all the miss cuts and to be honest it's not too bad. Not so hard to do for anyone else out there. As my van has the dark brown interior so "tones" whatever that means.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Looks good brooksy so how many of the 20 did you use? And cutting what's best a new Stanley knife?

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Looks good brooksy so how many of the 20 did you use? And cutting what's best a new Stanley knife?

I would have used the best part of the 20 because I have about 8 left and I had about 1/2 a dozen left over from the last van. I'm not very efficient with the cut and I tried to keep the tiles as big as possible and keep joins away from traffic areas. So I started in the kitchen and sort of worked out from there. The tools I used was a metal Stanley knife, solid and sharp, a 600mm piece of 4x2 to cut on and a metal straight edge. My straight edge was too short and needs to also be larger then the tile, say 600mm.