What do you put on the floor?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Well, as promised, fellow members of the carpet layers brotherhood, here are the pics.
CarpetSample.jpgCarpetLayout.jpgCarpet1.jpgCarpet2.jpg
Carpet colour/pattern; paper pattern laid out in lounge; and finished job. Did it in 2 pieces with the join under the table.
Cross that job off the list.:smile:
Also, to stretch a point, here's something else that goes on the floor.
It's a folding "SpiderLegs" coffee table from the USA – with the slide-out lounge there wasn't anywhere
for coffee cup or wine glass. Now there is.
Spiderlegs1.jpgSpiderlegs2.jpgSpiderlegs3.jpgSpiderlegs4.jpg

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Wow that looks excellent.
I am curious how you went with cutting the carpet and stopping fraying. Or does carpet not fray when cut?
Did you have to "hide" any raw edges at all when laying the carpet?

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Well, as promised, fellow members of the carpet layers brotherhood, here are the pics.
View attachment 9330View attachment 9327View attachment 9328View attachment 9329
Carpet colour/pattern; paper pattern laid out in lounge; and finished job.
Cross that job off the list.:smile:
Also, to stretch a point, here's something else that goes on the floor.
It's a folding "SpiderLegs" coffee table from the USA – with the slide-out lounge there wasn't anywhere
for coffee cup or wine glass. Now there is.
View attachment 9331View attachment 9332View attachment 9333View attachment 9334

What kind of vac will you carry?
Looks great!!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
C'mon... I have a nice lady that comes in each day with dust pan and stiff brush/straw broom! If plugged into the mains we have a nice little compact car vacuum cleaner that we've had ever since we first had carpeted vans but it honestly doesn't see much use. Us grey nomads have learned to take our dirty shoes off outside!

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Wow that looks excellent.
I am curious how you went with cutting the carpet and stopping fraying. Or does carpet not fray when cut?
Did you have to "hide" any raw edges at all when laying the carpet?
Shared the cutting and blunted a few pair of scissors. Jenny (SWMBO) trimmed all the edges very neatly and spent 10minutes getting the join just right. There's adhesive tape under the join sticky side up. I added a bit of moulding (comes with adhesive strip) at the rear bed end and on each side of the slide-out. Otherwise it's just a nice firm fit.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I agree with the rest that looks great, better then mine but I couldn't get away with that colour. The kids would make it filthy just by looking at it :)

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Ok one more question before I go hunting for a roll of carpet...
Why did you have a join? How come a single length of carpet didn't do the trick?

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Ok one more question before I go hunting for a roll of carpet...
Why did you have a join? How come a single length of carpet didn't do the trick?
Floor length is close to 5m and longest pce of carpet was only 4m. When buying "seconds" or off cuts it's hard to get that size or two bits exactly the same pattern/color. Paid a fraction of cost of "new" - less that $80 for 13sqm.
Unplanned advantage was that it was easier to fit under the table working with small pce. My off cuts will give me some mats and the rest of the second pce will be a spare.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I agree with the rest that looks great, better then mine but I couldn't get away with that colour. The kids would make it filthy just by looking at it :)
See my earlier post re color choice. Agree with little tackers and mud or dust it would be harder, but managed to train our three over the 20 odd years we've used light carpet. Only one issue was when beetroot spilled from fridge when door opened while traveling! Always had annexe mat or carpet and discouraged shoes inside, though.
BTW have cream carpet at home for same reasons.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
I just realised your house is just like the expanda. Did you decorate them both to match? :)
House not quite as big for starters! Used the same interior designer for both. She trimmed a few carpet off cuts to size for the extra mats while I wasn't looking, so we dropped them off to be overlocked this afternoon.

Megs

Nov 7, 2012
Tassie
So I finished the job. Disclaimer: I am not a carpet layer. I didn't have too much trouble though the floor on the 17 is an odd shape so cutting a single piece of carpet would be a PITA. Here is a piccie of the finished job:

View attachment 9306

I have a bit of a gap near the front door but the tile cut is an odd one so I'll leave it until I have to replace it. Works well. The colour is so close to the Jayco brown on the step it's untrue.

I did a copycat job today using the exact same carpet tiles as you Brookes. We also have a 17.56.2. Very happy with how it turned out, feels so much warmer under foot already, looking forward to getting away in it for the Australia Day long weekend to see how it goes (it's been cold overnight here in Tassie). And the colour matches perfectly! How is yours holding up?

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Yeah good. Spent 2 weeks away over Chrissie and all I use to clean the carpet is a dustpan and brush. Overall pretty happy with colour, wear and insulation. Didn't help in the heat we had but didn't really expect it to. Funny shaped floor hey [MENTION=2389]Megs[/MENTION]?