Exterior Water Tank Plumbing

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Bellbirdweb I thought it would like mix to a random percentage; it wouldnt be sophisticated enough not to I suppose. Someone has to have designed it, so it would be nice if he could write it down and let others know. It frustrates the issues when these guys just start guessing .....

I like the idea of getting a diagram. I got one for the walls to identify the location of the plating, so I ask for a plumbing plan when i get back home ... if i get one ill upload it

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Crusty181 if we have the pump turned on whilst connected to mains, it still operates.

Our Jayco dealer told me that if you use the pump and mains, it actually mixes the water from both tanks and mains.

I would love to get a proper diagram of the plumbing layout, so I could put in a selector valve to choose if I wanted mains, tank or both, and all to have the option of being boosted by the pump.
When we get back Ill have a look at a 12v solenoid, like the garden watering system style, to shut the mains off so i can use the tank water without physically disconnecting the mains or leaving the van. Should only need to flick 2 switches inside the van, the pump and solenoid switch.

Seems like an easy fix within the existing factory plumbing, without having to rebuild the entire van just to fill my drink bottle

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
dont know if this would help @Crusty181 ------ but

with mine (no shower / or hot water system) I had them put in a "flick mixer tap" on the sink
one side does the tank - other side does the mains........
(and they STILL put in the stupid hand pump on the sink....... tossers - even after I asked them NOT to..........)
if I want to use the mains water, turn it one way
if I want to use the tank, turn on the pump, and turn the tap the other way............

like I said, dont know if it will / would help...............

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If I don't like the mains water I just hand pump from our tank which has tank water from home, you really need the added flavour of possum, galah and magpie poo with a touch of eucalypt...beats town water any day. Though I do find it easier to just crack a coldie.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
dont know if this would help @Crusty181 ------ but.
No, it doesnt!. Try a little harder please. Ha

Our old 16.49 (no shw or hws) came with a flick mixer and hand pump, both sides of the mixer joined under the sink ... (cold mains both sides)

I was going to instal your set up; a tank pump to run off the hot water side ..... never got around to it.

The hand pump would be a good foolproof setup here, because its only water bottle or kettle thats required ..... but I presume at the pricier caravans cost point, Jayco worry about the perception of having a manually operated tank pump ..... putting folk off .... dosent sell the dream luxury angle.

The more I think about my patented solenoid idea, the more im thinking im a genius. (spelt genious wrong first time around; that would have been embarrassing)

A normally open soleniod would never impact with the plumbing even if it packs up ... just sits there dormant until I summon it into life ... possibly even connect the solenoid via the pump switch for a one switch solution

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
If I don't like the mains water I just hand pump from our tank which has tank water from home, you really need the added flavour of possum, galah and magpie poo with a touch of eucalypt...beats town water any day. Though I do find it easier to just crack a coldie.
Queenslanders will drink anything ... just look at XXXX (how many Xs in 4X again. Oldie but a goodie)

So in summary, if you dont like the native fauna toilet water, we can all just have a XXXX ? ..... Im not sure your helping.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I find my tank water to be excellant, no problems with fauna droppings coming thru because the resident green frogs must eat all the nasty stuff and the beer we have Up Here is equally excellant nothing better than a Cascade from Tassie or a Boags but when I travel into those other places I always load up with XXXX.

How much bloody water do you actually drink that requires this immense engineering feat ??? I would just bung a keg on the bench and be done with it, keg of water that is.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
How much bloody water do you actually drink that requires this immense engineering feat ???.
Ha .... it is starting to sound a bit like that. But in my defence, if Jayco did if even half properly in the first place, I could cancel my night school caravan plumbing degree ..... and just enjoy a nice glass of water (tank water, that is !!!)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
See poor holiday planning, have a powered site with great views, tank water or spa bore water available, have to go down the road about 2 kms to get town water and a great tool box for pulling apart and exploring caravans....not to mention the whole place is in Gods Country plus there's more, our dam is very much like the Yarra River, can't drink it but you could walk over it it is that muddy so you would feel like home........actually drinking too much water can be harmfull you know... it is found in Beer, Scotch, Bourbon, Vodka and is far safer when taken in these mixes..................Now a couple of small tanks underneath with a dispensing system in the van, small 12v pumps and just tap your glass under the outlet and hey, some JD, Turkey, Bundy or JW drops into it NOW that would be a winner.........how big would the tanks have to be ????????..................................a serious mod could be here.