Exterior Water Tank Plumbing

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We're from Melb (you can all forget the hurtful humor). We may lack some of the wonders that some claim to be north (or west) of our borders, but one thing we do have is some of the highest quality of drinking water anywhere in the world ..... we even bath in it and wash our undies with it (not the same water, of cause)

We are here sitting in Queensland in our new 20.63.1 which has not 1, but 2 water tanks filled with 160ltrs of the worlds best water which im struggling to work out how to extract without disconnecting the mains from the van everytime i want to fill the kettle

Our 16.49.1 had a hand pump; we'd use mains for washing etc and the tank water via the pump for drinking. It was a very simple yet effective combo. We would taste test the water at each stopover, and it it was good we'd top up the tank before we left, if not we'd wait until the next camp.

Can I employ the same system on this van, or am I destined to modify the plumbing to suit ...... I do have to work out an effective way to isolate each water tank within the current setup anyway, so it would just be some extra plumbing.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since yours draws from both tanks at the same time I would put a 2 way tap on for a start, no hand pump fitted either I gather ?????
Just fit a hand pump and run the pipe to pick up from a water tank line before it goes to the 12v pump using a T piece, (45c from Bunnings) with a non return vale just below the hand pump.
Or you could get one of those 12v portable shower units and mod the end of it for a tap and plumb into the water tank line, connect to 12v, add a switch and bingo no need to hand pump....................

Reactions: Crusty181

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Just remembered a mate of mine used one of those 12v shower set ups on his hand pump, took the shower head bit off connected the hose to the bottom of the hand pump other end to tank and fitted a switch, turn switch on, the handle on the pump has an erection and water flows out the end...........

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Does your van have a 12v pump? It may be close to the rear of the hot water system. I thought the new ones came standard with a pump.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This is what I did to replace my tank switch valve when it broke on the recent trip. Where the T piece is was the 2 way valve, T piece added and a seperate tap for each tank, $6 for two taps.

tanktaps.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Does your van have a 12v pump? It may be close to the rear of the hot water system. I thought the new ones came standard with a pump.
Yes we have the 12v pump which draws from the tanks when the van is not connected to mains. If I power the pump up whilst on mains, it does kick in, but Jayco tech say thats a fault it should not pump (turned on or off) when the vans connected to mains.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
This is what I did to replace my tank switch valve when it broke on the recent trip. Where the T piece is was the 2 way valve, T piece added and a seperate tap for each tank, $6 for two taps.

View attachment 29258
What a tank switch valve .... I dont got me one of them. Thats likely what ill do. I have a good look under it when we get home, but one option is a 12v solenoid with a switch near the pump switch. To access the tanks I csn turn on the pump and isolate the mains from inside the van .... just an early idea

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
All I do is turn the pump switch on at the coast to coast controller (yours may be different) and it works. You do have to get the air out of the system by leaving taps on for a while. No hose connected of course.
And regarding what your jayco tech said, why would you turn your pump on if you were connected to mains anyway.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hey Crusty dude do you have a hand pump ? the moded shower unit would be easier when you have yucky mains connected, easier and cheaper than ginning around with solenoids, mountings and stuff.......... remember all mods must conform to the KISS principle or they will bite you later on.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks @macca. We have the Drifter but same principle wth the switch. My issue is this. We have 2 full tanks of Melb water. We're sitting connected to mains on the Gold Coast. I want to use the Melb water for my drink bottle (for running and kayaking etc. it tastes better). Short of disconnecting the mains, and turning on the 12v pump or undoing the tank drain tap, is it possible to access the tank water simply and easily whilst in a c/park connected to average tasting water.

Im almost convince that theres no way with the factory delivered van.

As for the pump coming on. We are planning a remote trip and I want to know how the tanks work and are plumbed and that came out of a broader conversation with the factory tech. Ie our 2 tanks are interconnected with no way to isolate them .... one stone to any component and all our water would be gone

The factory tech maintained that the system should sense mains pressure and effectively disengage the pump ie with mains pressure, the pressure should stop the pump from kicking in .... no reason other than forgetting to switch it off i suppose .... or to get the tank water out

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since your down the Gold coast if you head for home inland we are near Toowoomba and a quick stop would most certainly sort out your problems better than the kids from work experience.
We also have rain water no town rubbish.

I have never heard of anyone saying Melb had nice tasting water !!!!!!!! One lives and learns even if they marry a Melburnian ???????????

Even now, 40 odd yrs later Mrs D pipes up with "Melb always had good water " poo I say...................................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Since your down the Gold coast if you head for home inland we are near Toowoomba and a quick stop would most certainly sort out your problems better than the kids from work experience.
We also have rain water no town rubbish.

I have never heard of anyone saying Melb had nice tasting water !!!!!!!! One lives and learns even if they marry a Melburnian ???????????

Even now, 40 odd yrs later Mrs D pipes up with "Melb always had good water " poo I say...................................
I would do that, but were booked into Port Stephens the day we leave here. Mrs D is a very clever and learned lady.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Drover we dont have a hand pump, but with the 12v pump and all the rest of the gizmos in this so called Outback Im astounded the tanks are joined and I cant access the tank water easily .... I will find a damn work around that is easy and simple which includes the 12v pump

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Thanks @macca. We have the Drifter but same principle wth the switch. My issue is this. We have 2 full tanks of Melb water. We're sitting connected to mains on the Gold Coast. I want to use the Melb water for my drink bottle (for running and kayaking etc. it tastes better). Short of disconnecting the mains, and turning on the 12v pump or undoing the tank drain tap, is it possible to access the tank water simply and easily whilst in a c/park connected to average tasting water.

I understand what you want to do now @Crusty181. In short cannot think of a real easy way to access tank water other than the methods you have chosen. Maybe for next trip you could have a second tap on the drawbar or wherever you like and that could come directly from the tank. You could maybe take off the cap on the bottom drain and connect the new line to that. It would be pretty easy and cheap to do. We are from Melbourne so appreciate how good our water is :), however I still like the idea of having the tank water filtered. I installed a filtered tap in our van and it is working really well and I have a fussy 11 y/old who only drinks water.
I do plan to re do ALL the water plumbing in my van over the winter break. I don't like the green stuff growing in the clear pipes and I hate the pressure drop when 2 taps are on and that plastic inlet connection that always drips. If you a really keen for tank water now, maybe take drain cap off and fill some large water bottles until you get home and can sort it.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks @macca. Its certainly not unfixable ... i was late for the handover and i just thought maybe i was missing something. The plumbing seems to be a pretty idiotic, chaotic and limited its is factory default setup.

Like you, ill have to make some substantial mods to it before we leave in Nov.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Where on the coast are you @Crusty181 ? I live there and maybe could drop in and help. Send a PM with a contact if you are staying a few more days and want a meet.
We're at Main Beach tourist park, for another 5 days or so. I think the plumbing is almost a rebuild type of issue, but pop in anyway if your close by. Id love to say hi

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

View attachment 29258
It turns out that the list of handover fairy tales continues. Despite the absolute assurances that my water tanks are interconnected and cant be isolated ..... yesterday i found the valve where they are able to be isolated, exactly as your photo @Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That would be in the same place that Jayco have been putting them for many, many years then.

Reactions: skippy

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@Crusty181 if we have the pump turned on whilst connected to mains, it still operates.

Our Jayco dealer told me that if you use the pump and mains, it actually mixes the water from both tanks and mains.

I would love to get a proper diagram of the plumbing layout, so I could put in a selector valve to choose if I wanted mains, tank or both, and all to have the option of being boosted by the pump.