20' Series water pressure

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When the tanks full water comes out the breather, anything less and it's not chokkas. Mine has started to gurgle and splutter after a day or so but have heaps in tank, when I get back going to replace hose as it has a tight run and flush tanks as might be something just capping the draw point in tank, dead cane toad or something.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Be careful removing the pressure reducer as one of its purposes is to protect your hot water system (if you have one installed). We had the same problem with our 20.63.1 and after looking at all the options ended up replacing the pressure reducer with another reputable brand (sourced from Reece plumbing) and I got my pressure back.

Can anyone shed some light on the details of this or a similar valve? Our pressure is terrible on mains, and I would love to install something better if possible!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Im putt
Can anyone shed some light on the details of this or a similar valve? Our pressure is terrible on mains, and I would love to install something better if possible!
Im putting up with it whilst we're away, and if Jayco cant fix it or explain it convincingly ill find out what the hotwater and line pressure specs are and source a solution that will suit the system components. The low pressure cant possible be to protect the HWS .. because the 12v pump has more flow

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well mine has dropped pressure off the mains this trip also, when I get back I'm going to stick a pressure/non return vale that we use on the HWS at home in place of the original van unit and see what happens, just need a couple of george fittings to suit, see what happens not paying $100 for another van style unit.

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well mine has dropped pressure off the mains this trip also, when I get back I'm going to stick a pressure/non return vale that we use on the HWS at home in place of the original van unit and see what happens, just need a couple of george fittings to suit, see what happens not paying $100 for another van style unit.
@Stone Stomper i think suggested somewhere else to pull the prv apart and stretch the spring .... i might try that when i get a chance. Our pressure is low, but still very usable

millhouse

Oct 20, 2014
These vans have a valve reducing pressure to 350kpa. The pipe is rated to 1000kpa @ 20°c and 600kpa @ 60°c (hot water limited to 50°c). I can't find any specs on the hot water service in my paper work yet but i would very much doubt that you would have a problem with a 500kpa pressure limiting valve (this is what is used on residential hot water service).

For warranty purposes taps are at 500kpa. If you send me model of hot water service I'll check it out.

The john guest fittings used on the water system are easily removable and you could reuse the with a new 500kpa pressure limiting valve.

@Crusty181 is your 12v pump still coming on when using mains pressure? If so this is a fault in the system and would be the result of too much pressure drop when opening a tap causing the pump to kick in. This would be related to your low pressure issue when using mains pressure

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
These vans have a valve reducing pressure to 350kpa. The pipe is rated to 1000kpa @ 20°c and 600kpa @ 60°c (hot water limited to 50°c). I can't find any specs on the hot water service in my paper work yet but i would very much doubt that you would have a problem with a 500kpa pressure limiting valve (this is what is used on residential hot water service).

For warranty purposes taps are at 500kpa. If you send me model of hot water service I'll check it out.

The john guest fittings used on the water system are easily removable and you could reuse the with a new 500kpa pressure limiting valve.

@Crusty181 is your 12v pump still coming on when using mains pressure? If so this is a fault in the system and would be the result of too much pressure drop when opening a tap causing the pump to kick in. This would be related to your low pressure issue when using mains pressure
Firstly .... your the man, and thanks for the info youve provide.

Yes our pump still kicks it. The attached photos of the specs attached to the HWS show that your suggested Bunnings replacement is more than adequate protection. The HWS own relief value is 850kpa
20141231_081449.jpg 20141231_081528.jpg

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The pressure is shite, but workable and my little man (who loves a long shower) can shower away for an eternity without me having to set the pressure ...... turning negatives into positives. A state of mind that helps when you own a Jayco

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Away on holidays and I got over the water pressure so I got on to jayco they came out and had a look at and we got under van and removed brass cylinder ( pressure reducer ) and fitted a one way valve pressure they way it should be now wife a happy camper now.
Can't thank Gippsland jayco in Bairnsdale enough

Last edited:

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
@Stone Stomper i think suggested somewhere else to pull the prv apart and stretch the spring .... i might try that when i get a chance. Our pressure is low, but still very usable

Hubby did the spring stretching thing last night and it worked a treat!! I finally have good water pressure on mains :D

Wish we had of done it at the start of the trip, but oh well

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The pressure info is stamped on the side of the valve.

Think I will crawl under in the morning and do the spring stretch, while pressure is okay it's not as good as it was............damn just realized I'm now at sussex and on my tanks and water pump, have to wait.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Flossymk1 spring thing were is it ?

Inside the brass pressure restriction valve underneath the van - just unclip it from the piping (note the arrow showing direction of water flow before removing), use a couple of shifters to open it, then stretch the spring (approx 5mm) - you might need to use pliers to help stretch it, put it back together and done!!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
My water pressure from the pump is not much chop now, seems like air getting in from that cheap and nasty 3 way switch....major plumbing reno on the rig when I get home, might chuck the tempering valve as it sucks the pressure out of the system (and I'm old enough to know how to adjust water temp using 2 taps,) fit some decent water lines from the tanks and see if I can cut down on the number of joins, the plumbing is a nightmare while I looked at some other rigs, non Jayco and they are neat tidy and well thought out, not just a stuff it anywhere attitude.

Reactions: Crusty181

millhouse

Oct 20, 2014
@Drover check the inlet on the pump as it has a strainer that can be unscrewed and cleaned out. It is easy to see, is clear and the size of a small cup. There may also be strainers on the hot and cold inlet of the tempering valve.

@Crusty181 the tempering valve reduces the temperature to 50°c. It is law that all hot water systems have one but it is also something that is hated by most people.

Reactions: Drover

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
My water pressure from the pump is not much chop now, seems like air getting in from that cheap and nasty 3 way switch....major plumbing reno on the rig when I get home, might chuck the tempering valve as it sucks the pressure out of the system (and I'm old enough to know how to adjust water temp using 2 taps,) fit some decent water lines from the tanks and see if I can cut down on the number of joins, the plumbing is a nightmare while I looked at some other rigs, non Jayco and they are neat tidy and well thought out, not just a stuff it anywhere attitude.
Here are few pix from under the new Journey. There may be a slight improvement but very little. Also, the last photo shows there is no improvement to the rats nest wiring behind the draw bar. :eek-53:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @millhouse I checked the inline filter clean as a whistle, it looks like air getting in at the 3 way valve, may pull it apart tomorrow but will wait till I'm home to pull it down big time. Know all about the tempering valves but the actual requirement is that they be fitted to bathrooms while laundry and kitchen shouldn't be as the water then isn't hot enough to kill beasties and dishwashers don't work properly anyway. Main strainer is clean so others should be, my guess is air causing the problem, most annoying.