Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I have the job of setting up outside, so my usual process is
  • Plug in power
  • hook up water.
  • turn on heater at switch outside
  • hook up drain
  • boss bleeds HWS.
I find when we get to camp there is too much going on inside the van and battling kids to either help or boot off to the jumping pillow that I cannot get under the seat to turn it on so best to do it from the outside when I am hooking up the water and power.

Love the idea of the switch inside, but our 17.56.2 has the gas / pump switch in a bloody stupid spot at the end of the seat in the walkway. Keeps on getting kicked and turned on when kids get off the seat.

Was going to see if there was a switch with a cover on it so it had to be lifted to turn it on, or turn the switch upside down so if it was kicked it would be leaving it off. Don't use the gas unless there is a power outage (has happened a few time even in Caravan parks) so not a big issue for us.
Ours was in same spot its so dumb there much better in cupboard

Reactions: iadizajy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Our Gas HWS switch keeps getting hit with the broom, been going to fit a cover around it one day.

Reactions: iadizajy

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
You would think a better design option would be to put it in the alcove above the sink where the main breaker is (on ours where the button is for the tv amplifier). Out of the way of fingers, brooms and feet, and easy to get to from the inside. :doh:

Reactions: Bluey and Drover

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
Our gas control for the HWS is in the upper cupboard above the dining seat, also housing the 12v pump switch and the main 240v breaker.

Would be the best spot for them @pauljygrant. If I was to relocate mine I would need to have a new seat end made to get rid of the holes, but I also have the tank indicators and pump switch there.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Mine are up on the wall above the seat. DSC_8589.JPG

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And on a 16.49.3?

We've also only used gas. Didn't realise you could use 240 for heating.

Should have read the booklet...or listened more carefully.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Found it.

Shame I didn't know it was there earlier.

Next challenge.....the anode. I'll check out all the advice on here before I even approach it.

Reactions: mfexpanda

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks17triton I was thinking it must of had another switch other then the power point
There is, it is on the hot water tank accessible from the outside. It is a small rocker switch located on the left side low down and behind pipes, difficult to find but the tank wont work on 240v if it is off.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Earlier in this thread, someone asked if it was OK to leave the 240v power point turned on between sites.

As a rule, you should always turn it off when you pack up the van, even to just move to the next site.

If you have the 240v on, and the water has drained out of the tank, you will burn out your 240v element, so its a good practice to connect your mains water, or turn on your pump, run the hot water tap to ensure the air is out of the tank, and then turn on the 240v switch.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2014
Thank you everyone I missed out on the walk around on my van on pick up as they where all so busy trying to work out the stereo and ran out of time.So after 12 months I'm still learning

Reactions: dagree

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Same here. I now know hot water works on 240.

I now wonder what else I missed....but have now done over 19,000 ks with van and have never cooked inside, used hw on 240v, connected to caravan park water, used the brand new sullage hose, found the manifold for same sullage hose.

But have used air con, microwave (twice) and never run even close to running out of battery power ...one 100 fitted as standard.

I guess we still have a lot to learn.

Oct 14, 2014
The day we picked her up we where off on holidays so everyone was a little excited and rushed. should of seen me trying to set the van up and pack it up the first time.Lucky there was some kind people around to help me.Ran out of water after one day

Reactions: dagree