Electrical Water heater switches

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
All
As we are still in the early days of our new BaseStation, we are constantly finding out different quirks about the caravan hence the random questions.
Anyway, comparing the Suburban water heater to the water heater that we had in our 1993 caravan when we lived in the UK, we were surprised to note that the 240v switch is located behind the outside panel, whilst the gas control is from inside the caravan. We had expected that both gas and 240v controls would gave been inside - does anyone know why this isn't the case or has anyone modified the switching method?
Also, do you use gas and 240v together to improve the recovery time during periods of high demand such as when everyone wants a shower in the morning?

Reactions: Shane Warren

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Never really thought about it, I usually leave the outside 240 switch on and use the power point inside, always switch off when packing up so it will not operate with no water supplied.
Gas is turned off at tap when not needed but you can fire both up . When on gas we only have it on when hot water needed.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Excellent question; I with @Drover in that ive never thought about it, but now I am I cant think of a single reason the 240v is inside the heater cover located outside the van. We leave that 240v all the time whilst travelling, but off at home so we can leave the van plugged in without heating water. The 240v and gas can be used together The gas we only use to boost the water heater when we all shower consecutively, or on a late arrival to give the HWS a speed up. I then have to remember to turn the 240v off when were free camping and ive got the generator running, only to remember ti turn it back on when we stop at a caravan park. So @pauljygrant very good question, and as for the question about anyone rewiring it .... thanks for the mental tap, watch this space

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Never really thought about it, I usually leave the outside 240 switch on and use the power point inside, always switch off when packing up so it will not operate with no water supplied.
Gas is turned off at tap when not needed but you can fire both up . When on gas we only have it on when hot water needed.
We dont have a seperate HWS switch inside, only the switch inside the cover

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We dont have a seperate HWS inside, only the switch inside the cover

Well thats interesting !! In a cupboard near the HWS I have 2 power points, one which has the fridge plugged in and a grey lead from the HWS is plugged into the other, this is the one I turn the HWS "ON or OFF" with that explains some strange post's I've come across, I just assumed everyone had similar. ( or maybe it's hidden away ) I wonder if there's a power point tucked away in the HWS box/cabinet space ??? actually there must be as Jayco only use plug an play for 240v so I doubt it would be hard wired in....................now there's a thought.

Middo

Apr 25, 2014
Brisbane
Ours is plugged into a power point under the bed. We leave it on and only operate the switch which is accessed on the outside of the hws

Reactions: Drover

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Well thats interesting !! In a cupboard near the HWS I have 2 power points, one which has the fridge plugged in and a grey lead from the HWS is plugged into the other, this is the one I turn the HWS "ON or OFF" with that explains some strange post's I've come across, I just assumed everyone had similar. ( or maybe it's hidden away ) I wonder if there's a power point tucked away in the HWS box/cabinet space ??? actually there must be as Jayco only use plug an play for 240v so I doubt it would be hard wired in....................now there's a thought.
We have the GPO under the couch where the HWS is plugged into. The GPO is under the couch behind the Setec which is a complete waste of space occupied by only the HWS and pump spread annoyingly and randomly about that space. I thought you may have had a separate satellite switch that you could switch the HWS on and off with. I can add a switch to switch the switch I suppose o_O

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Sounds like we are all on the same page with this one.
In the short term, will follow others and leave the external switch on, controlling the 240v system by means of the GPO switch under the seat. In the longer term, my desire to tamper with most things might lead to the HWS plug bring connected into a new GPO that in turn is controlled by a master switch with LED in a more visible location to indicate when it is turned on, especially to ensure that it doesn't remain on by mistake when stored.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now that sounds like a plan to me.........luckily for me I just open a cupboard door and there's the switch, otherwise a mod would have been done ages ago.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@pauljygrant ,

If the 240V switch was to be "remote" from the HWS, then Suburban would have issues with having to be fitted/maintained by a licence electrician as you are handling 240V cables and switches. There would be extra costs to have the 240V cables run to an remote switch and back to the HWS. there would have to be concealed behind panels or conduit. This would add significant costs to the unit. Having the On/Off located on or built-into the HWS (usually the lower left and excessed from the outside panel) means that only a 204V 10A GPO is required and there is nothing special or costly about this installation method.

With the On/Off for gas to the HWS, it is simply a remote switch that activates relays and solenoids on the HWS and uses 12V. Hence why it can be a remote switch. Can be installed or moved easily with little expense.

On our van, as the HWS is near the external 240V power inlet for the van, we simply turn on/off the HWS via the outdoor panel when we connect/disconnect the power to/from the van.

Cheers,

Rohan

Reactions: iadizajy

Tone

Nov 27, 2014
Warrnambool
Is there any reason you can't leave the 240 switch turned on all the time while traveling between parks with power? Just plug water in first to make sure there is water in hot water unit? Just a thought.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Is there any reason you can't leave the 240 switch turned on all the time while traveling between parks with power? Just plug water in first to make sure there is water in hot water unit? Just a thought.

@Tone

There is nothing stopping you doing that, however, given the HWS is about 1,440 Watt (6Amps) - I would prefer the HWS power switch to be turned off when connecting the power so there is not an inrush current and sparking as I connect the power. Saves potential damage to the appliance, circuits & fuses and I think a generally safer practice when playing with 240V.

Cheers,

Rohan

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's always better to stick to a set plan, turn gas off, HWS gas and 240v off, water pump off, battery on, fridge door locked etc , then you activate things as you need them, saves blowing things up..............and if you get distracted during set up everything should be okay,
just don't forget to flush the hot water when you turn the power on, a tank full of air is not good.

It is the safer way to do things, I only turn mine off at the power point though.

Last edited:

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Finished this modification today. Installed a switch with neon indicator inline between the under seat GPO and the plug of the hot water system. Now, can leave the switch on the outside of the unit turned on and control the unit via this switch. Mounted the switch so that the indicator is clearly visible when entering the caravan.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 318

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Finished this modification today. Installed a switch with neon indicator inline between the under seat GPO and the plug of the hot water system. Now, can leave the switch on the outside of the unit turned on and control the unit via this switch. Mounted the switch so that the indicator is clearly visible when entering the caravan.
Great idea

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA

OH $h!te another mod to add to the list... But a good one!

iadizajy

Nov 9, 2015
Point Cook
I have the job of setting up outside, so my usual process is
  • Plug in power
  • hook up water.
  • turn on heater at switch outside
  • hook up drain
  • boss bleeds HWS.
I find when we get to camp there is too much going on inside the van and battling kids to either help or boot off to the jumping pillow that I cannot get under the seat to turn it on so best to do it from the outside when I am hooking up the water and power.

Love the idea of the switch inside, but our 17.56.2 has the gas / pump switch in a bloody stupid spot at the end of the seat in the walkway. Keeps on getting kicked and turned on when kids get off the seat.

Was going to see if there was a switch with a cover on it so it had to be lifted to turn it on, or turn the switch upside down so if it was kicked it would be leaving it off. Don't use the gas unless there is a power outage (has happened a few time even in Caravan parks) so not a big issue for us.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Our switch was in simalar place got them to move it to stop kids playing with it as they do first thing my daughter did entering van reach out to this nice red switch as she entered turned it on so they moved it in the cupboard near micronuke and my main switch is under stove im happy with it now no kids can play with them

Reactions: dagree and iadizajy