Victorian Police Caravan Blitz

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
yeah, a mate of mine used to go to the Himalayas every year for trekking and such

he showed me his backpack full loaded for 3 weeks travel

was about 12kgs..............

first time I had ever seen or heard of Gore-Tex clothing

Hi bigcol,

we had a little over 10kgs each when we hiked the Tour du Mont Blanc. Luxury, since we stayed in gites and refuges (bed, dinner, breakfast) so we didn't need tent, sleeping mats, sleeping bag, cooking gear etc. Lunch was usually baguettes, French cheese or hard sausage. Water was easy since it was running down the slopes. In one area, if the snow melted and ran down to the South, we drank it, if it ran down to the North towards Evian, they bottled it and shipped it back in plastic bottles to Chamonix for the tourists to buy in the supermarket to take with them when they walked up the mountain.

cheers
Mike

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep.

I had a chat with our local doctor a few months ago...he's into trekking and such and he was testing some new TShirts he'd heard about....some hitech material that allows the wearer to wear it for a week. All that was needed was for it to be aired at night. He was ecstatic as it was saving him weight. I asked about the smell after a week...he said there wasn't any. Fine for walkers but I'll take a few!

So I guess that the weigh it first, put a dot on it if it hasn't been used for some time and remove items rather than add, approach needs to gather momentum. It's pleasing that a few posters on this illustrious forum are doing this now....

From a personal perspective it's also interesting that, as we add the stuff we removed from our previous van, that we find we've been guilty as well. Everything that came out was crated and left in the shed....now emerging.

and being culled....we obviously carried far too much!

I've weighed the van and car twice before anything was added so have the ex-dealer weight for the van...with full water and gas tanks and with all the dealer added add ons. I was happy with that.

Now I'll need to do it again just to check that my careful calculations are, in fact, accurate. I'll be really peeved if they're not! (I know it's amusing to see us weighing cans of tomatoes and bottles of wine with the kitchen scales!)

Then I need to confirm that the vehicle, loaded for the road, is also within my payload limits.

Towball kgs are fine.

I'm getting very anal about this stuff so need to get away and get a life....but I'll know we're safe.

:faint::fencing::hungry: :gossip: :hail:

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
I cant believe how many people are so irresponsible with weight or just ignorant... first thing i'm doing from the dealer is going to the weighbridge and see where i am at (also see if the tare is accurate) then go back once its loaded and see where i am at... we didnt even look at the 20' van at all because of the weight its just wasn't going to work...

Reactions: bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wonder if the States will ever do anything other than wag tongues, when you look at it, a licence to tow could mean a code between C and LR might be needed or maybe an LR code and what a S@#$%t fight would come about if they said you have to have it done by a certain date, I can see lots of noise but little will power to enact anything other than putting more folks over the pads which would be a good thing but some decent education in the meantime would be a top idea.

The other thing is people without towing anything are often overloaded as well and are blissfully ignorant of the fact.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I cant believe how many people are so irresponsible with weight or just ignorant... first thing i'm doing from the dealer is going to the weighbridge and see where i am at (also see if the tare is accurate) then go back once its loaded and see where i am at... we didnt even look at the 20' van at all because of the weight its just wasn't going to work...

Then stop by the car dealers yard and see what they have on special..........

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
Then stop by the car dealers yard and see what they have on special..........

on the facebook page i see a few questionable towing setups... people fall in love with the van without thinking and lets be honest the dealers dont care if you rock up with a lancer to pick up a 20' expanda... lol

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Yep.

I had a chat with our local doctor a few months ago...he's into trekking and such and he was testing some new TShirts he'd heard about....some hitech material that allows the wearer to wear it for a week. All that was needed was for it to be aired at night. He was ecstatic as it was saving him weight. I asked about the smell after a week...he said there wasn't any. Fine for walkers but I'll take a few!

So I guess that the weigh it first, put a dot on it if it hasn't been used for some time and remove items rather than add, approach needs to gather momentum. It's pleasing that a few posters on this illustrious forum are doing this now....

From a personal perspective it's also interesting that, as we add the stuff we removed from our previous van, that we find we've been guilty as well. Everything that came out was crated and left in the shed....now emerging.

and being culled....we obviously carried far too much!

I've weighed the van and car twice before anything was added so have the ex-dealer weight for the van...with full water and gas tanks and with all the dealer added add ons. I was happy with that.

Now I'll need to do it again just to check that my careful calculations are, in fact, accurate. I'll be really peeved if they're not! (I know it's amusing to see us weighing cans of tomatoes and bottles of wine with the kitchen scales!)

Then I need to confirm that the vehicle, loaded for the road, is also within my payload limits.

Towball kgs are fine.

I'm getting very anal about this stuff so need to get away and get a life....but I'll know we're safe.

:faint::fencing::hungry: :gossip: :hail:
Hi Dobbie,
when we were backpacking, we had a spreadsheet with the weight of every item we were carrying. It was interesting knowing these weights and comparing the items. When we went wilderness camping, we portion controlled our food and had plenty to eat at 450g per person per day. That was the only way we could stay out for seven days and still carry emergency rations (+one day).

I had always taken t-shirts. Then I discovered that Barbara had tops that were half the weight of my t-shirts. I then found shirts that I could use that weighed less AND dried much quicker. And the list went on. Shave 250g off the clothes and you can carry some chocolate: way better since it was tasty! but is also emergency rations if we got caught in bad weather.
Same with shorts, shorter is lighter, but shorter meant they easily fitted under my weather-proof jacket and didn't get wet from the rain.
Portion control toothpaste, soap, shampoo. One luxury was to take 250ml of port. A sip each night before going to sleep and the bottle lasted over a week!

One goal in backpacking is to have items that serve two (or three) purposes. I met a ultra-light backpacker, whose backpack fame became his tent poles. Heard of something similar with cyclists using there bike as part of the tent. Also, similar idea with walking poles.

I need to make a similar spreadsheet for the van. It shouldn't take much effort now since we haven't put much in yet.
Our limit is 300kg, but 90kg is already taken up with gas and a full water tank.
Maybe, I should make it my task for this week.

cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014

Good idea...don't forget to take into consideration the full water and gas tanks and anything the dealer has added...full water tanks ...120.....full gas...18.....so that'll be different for a start. Extra battery...was it done at factory or at dealer? The free carton of beer the dealer gave you? 20kgs? The Jayco cap?

We nearly forgot to visit the weigh bridge on the way home....only remembered when we'd almost passed it then realised we didn't have any cash...cost $25 for a full certificate...so visited the council one first for the combined mass. That gave us vehicle and van total. Then back, with cash, for the full certificate. The car was weighed separately as well.

It's a starting point but your Tare and ATM might be very different from that plated....

You probably know all this but I'd rather be pedantic than hear of you getting a fright!

:(

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ah....where's me walking stick?

Damn. I threw it out as it had a pink dot on it and I couldn't remember what the dot was for.....

I also use a spreadsheet and keep a record...rough at times...of what is added and what I've removed. It's a bit over the top and is usually updated when I'm camping and have a burst of energy..but, this time as its a new van with different requirements it's very up to date.

and I always weigh what is added to the car before I buy it....rear drawers 71kgs ...that took a fair bit out of the payload.

And @mikerezny .......

I don't mind being called a GOF....just not a BOF please. I don't think @Drover is either....

>:(

Ssil2000

Jan 27, 2017
Adelaide
Good idea...don't forget to take into consideration the full water and gas tanks and anything the dealer has added...full water tanks ...120.....full gas...18.....so that'll be different for a start. Extra battery...was it done at factory or at dealer? The free carton of beer the dealer gave you? 20kgs? The Jayco cap?

We nearly forgot to visit the weigh bridge on the way home....only remembered when we'd almost passed it then realised we didn't have any cash...cost $25 for a full certificate...so visited the council one first for the combined mass. That gave us vehicle and van total. Then back, with cash, for the full certificate. The car was weighed separately as well.

It's a starting point but your Tare and ATM might be very different from that plated....

You probably know all this but I'd rather be pedantic than hear of you getting a fright!

:(

battery is factory, i am going to empty the tank of water before i weight it, i will just take 9kg off for the gas then once i have everything i want in the van i am going to go weight it again with water in 1 tank and see where i sit and make adjustments from there.

if the tare is way off i'll be asking for a new plate...

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Ah....where's me walking stick?

Damn. I threw it out as it had a pink dot on it and I couldn't remember what the dot was for.....

I also use a spreadsheet and keep a record...rough at times...of what is added and what I've removed. It's a bit over the top and is usually updated when I'm camping and have a burst of energy..but, this time as its a new van with different requirements it's very up to date.

and I always weigh what is added to the car before I buy it....rear drawers 71kgs ...that took a fair bit out of the payload.

And @mikerezny .......

I don't mind being called a GOF....just not a BOF please. I don't think @Drover is either....

>:(
Hi @Dobbie,

ok, I'll bite. What is BOF? Google didn't help me here.

cheers
Mike

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Ponder it for a while?

boring old fart?
Yeah, I got 2 out of three easily. Just couldn't find a B: Closest I could guess was bloody.

With Google, the closest I could get was Birds of a Feather. But I would suggest most of us on this forum are already somewhat Birds of a Feather and we probably shouldn't mind that!

cheers
Mike