Victorian Police Caravan Blitz

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well Mr @chartrock , whats the verdict, ha, hah, hah...........C'mon did you blow the scales , have to throw out heaps of gear ??????? wheel fall off ???????.....many are waiting..................or was the line so long you have to go back next month..????

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Well Mr @chartrock , whats the verdict, ha, hah, hah...........C'mon did you blow the scales , have to throw out heaps of gear ??????? wheel fall off ???????.....many are waiting..................or was the line so long you have to go back next month..????
Geez you're impatient @Drover, we only got home just after lunch. I've had to read a few dozen threads to catch up as I've had no internet for two days (that caused a "poppy nap" for an hour :p) and I have just scanned the sheets to give you the goods. :boink:

All was good except the van ATM
was 10 Kg overweight. I was surprised to find my ball weight at 200 Kg as last time I checked it was around 240 Kg

The first pic is the form where I had to fill in the shaded portion with info from the VIN plate or tug manual, they then wrote the figures they worked out and the second pic is all the individual weights as they measured them. I did have the van reasonably loaded, both water tanks full, one gas bottle full and the 2nd one nearly full. We would probably have more clothes and food if going on a longer trip so the van would probably be more overweight on a longer holiday trip. I may have to shift some gear from the van to the truck which still has spare weight.

All in all, very happy with the report and found it a very worthwhile operation.
Van weight_LI.jpg
Van weight 2.jpg

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's a very comprehensive report.....looking good.

I hope they persevere with these inspections...optional I know.

Thanks.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Thanks @Drover about the "Classic:" We did not go in but parked on the road at the end of the strip. Fantastic view of the planes lining up for take off and dropping in for a landing. A few pics of planes and a couple of the Toowoomba showground.
View attachment 49262 View attachment 49263 View attachment 49264 View attachment 49265 View attachment 49266 View attachment 49267 View attachment 49268 View attachment 49269 View attachment 49270 View attachment 49271 View attachment 49272 View attachment 49273 View attachment 49274
@chartrock, @Drover quick question. What's with senior folk attending airshows and hanging around outside the fence. Do you guys exchange tips.:boink:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Great pics Paul, I love em......................I think I may have to do some more weight culling on my Ute, I know what you pack in yours and there's not a lot of junk but looking at those figures there must surely be a lot that are over by heaps.

Think I really must go and get the scales under my lot, not worried at all but just like to know if my feel for the weight is good.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
@chartrock, @Drover quick question. What's with senior folk attending airshows and hanging around outside the fence. Do you guys exchange tips.:boink:
Us senior folk love old things (you don't qualify yet @Crusty181 :p ) and can't afford the admission price. Anyway, I was a damned sight closer to the planes than I would have been had I paid to go in.:eek-53:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
He's still a bit touchy having to fork out for entry fee's at Lake Boga and finding me sitting by the Lake edge outside the barriers with a great view of the windy proceedings...............mind you at least there were dunnies inside the fence.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Since the weather is crap up here I've had a good chance to study your info sheet @chartrock and really those weights give a good indication that many of us with bigger heavier vans are probably right on the money weight wise, you have a nice comfortable bit left over on the tug which in a real packed up ready to go situation would more than likely get used, the rest of us probably don't have that leeway at all, especially with flotation devices on the roof, bikes and god knows what else.

I think it does show that a 3.5t tow cap tug can't drag that much in real life with a realistic loading of gear, fuel and bodies........

I hope this isn't a fact finding feasability study to ascertain if it's going to make money for them which will lead to a special bay at the Pads for vans and holiday makers to have a driver reviver while they weigh and lighten your wallet.............I know the Labor mob in QLD would be interested.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I hope this isn't a fact finding feasability study to ascertain if it's going to make money for them which will lead to a special bay at the Pads for vans and holiday makers to have a driver reviver while they weigh and lighten your wallet.............I know the Labor mob in QLD would be interested.
Personally I don't have an issue if it is. If your setup isn't road legal/safe then maybe you shouldn't be towing it. I know sometimes the law and common sense don't always align, but it not for us to make the decision on which can be ignored.

Having follow a car at 70km/h with the van swaying all over the place I think getting these types of setups of the road is a good thing.

I do hope they have a 12-24 month period for us to check, adjust, etc before the revenue raising begins though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I don't have a problem with the checks especially with safety on the road .
Time will tell but something needs to be done but probably they will do the talk but won't have the political nerve, the cost of extra inspectors, facilities , votes etc will scare them off ............lot more to it than just a weighbridge, it would be a can of worms for them.

Reactions: bigcol

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
There were a number of handouts from the weigh-in, one of which was the attached sheets on fitting spot
lights for Qld but may be similar in other states.

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-9_21-20-38.png
    upload_2017-5-9_21-20-38.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 222
  • upload_2017-5-9_21-21-22.png
    upload_2017-5-9_21-21-22.png
    260.5 KB · Views: 153
Reactions: Drover and bigcol

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
The hard part is actually knowing what your weights are. It would be difficult to have to weigh the setup every time you decided to set out.
I am all for stopping those who carry everything and are far too heavy, but not sure that I would like to be worried about getting weighed everytime. Actually, if i hop out of the car , then the vehicle weight would not be a problem. Now there is a thought.

Reactions: bigcol