Victorian Police Caravan Blitz

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think most take it in there job description TBH. Only had my van parked once and that was dunlieth at the entrance. He used his tractor :D you had two chances of parking it yourself ... you know how the rest goes :p

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yes. I absolutely love the tractors....our local caravan repair place makes me jealous when I see how they can manoeuvre big vans easily into tight spots with the tractor.

I always come away thinking I'd love one!

The ones I love are the old farts who spend their entire day watching vans getting ready to back in, then jump up and stand next to the driver's window uttering "left hand down, right hand down". All without being asked. Me blood pressure rises just thinking about cos they're usually wrong!

I apologise if anyone here fits that description....and I'll wave the white flag.

:argue:

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
one thing I would like to see at this "supposed" education and awareness event

Mr Plod take note of the Van with incorrect weights on their plate, and then fine the Manufacturers

that may make them sit up and take notice that their Vans are not legal...............

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
And maybe follow it up with both the manufacturer and the owner to see if anyone's learning curve has improved?

It can be done gently at first...after all, the aim is to improve safety and if its treated as a revenue raiser, then certain forums will be bogged down by all those who know better.

and, if nothing improves, particularly with the manufacturers, then start sending someone around to educate them (though I'm seeing some signs that many of them are intractable with upgrading AGMs and explain reasons)

And warn owners if they're overweight and why.....and give them the opportunity to sort it out and get it right within a certain time frame....

Then and only then issue fines, take vans off the road if overweight by an agreed margin....10pcent?

But approach it calmly, sensibly and emphasise the rationale behind it....safety!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I remember years ago, the WAPolice used to have a section for Car Yards
they would go around and inspect the Vehicles for sale to make sure they were road worthy
any that failed - yellow sticker and car yard paid a fine

maybe we need something like that now days for the Caravan Yards.......

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
We're probably preaching to the converted but a bit of common sense by authorities wouldn't go astray.

I guess all we can do is encourage as many as possible to at least try to come to terms with what the whole issue involves....payloads, GCM etc etc

The information required is out there, motoring groups etc publish it but I'd like to see them take a much more positive role in emphasising the payload issue.

As said numerous times, as long as vehicles continue to be advertised as "tows up to 3,500 kgs" rather than stating that that vehicle has a payload of 560kgs and if you add a bull bar, a steel roof rack, a boat, a set of drawers, a fridge, some camping gear.....and the passengers and include the ball weight.....then that 3,500 kgs is severely reduced.

Ah well, we can but try.

:amen: and I think I'll cease rabbitting on about it as we seem to say the same thing time and time again.

2017 is, hopefully, my year of shrugging and getting on with it.

:fencing:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
one thing I would like to see at this "supposed" education and awareness event

Mr Plod take note of the Van with incorrect weights on their plate, and then fine the Manufacturers

that may make them sit up and take notice that their Vans are not legal...............
Your silly sausage @bigcol, dont you know how hard it is to take on corporate Aust, in comparison to how much more super easily it is to fine Mr Avg Joe on the side of the road.

If anyone needs to be punished for corporate Aust's negligence, it should be Mr Avg Joe. Its all about the soft targets

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
I just read the fuller report on the Victorian police caravan bit.

Inspections available, apparently. The overloaded will just ignore it. .....and its advertised for the next few days.

A start. ...maybe.

Someone obviously thinks it's a potential issue.

:flypig::flypig:

Reactions: bigcol

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
It was started by a copper on another caravan forum, he seems to be fairly cecent judging by most of his posts, I think it is needed, as are manufacturers needed to pick up their game

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Your silly sausage @bigcol, dont you know how hard it is to take on corporate Aust, in comparison to how much more super easily it is to fine Mr Avg Joe on the side of the road.

If anyone needs to be punished for corporate Aust's negligence, it should be Mr Avg Joe. Its all about the soft targets

sausage party.jpg

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
That's really pushing it a bit....particularly for the park manager!

I wonder what some of the park managers I've come across would say if I lobbed up, paid, then asked him / her to park the van.

Just like valet van parking?

8-)8-)

I find it weird when they even try and help you get on to the site. I usually politely tell them that I can manage

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We recently camped overnight at the Mareeba drive-in heading across the hinterland behind Cairns. What an awesome experience that was. We parked the Behemoth across the row and set up the chairs out under the awning ... very cool and a unique experience. We could have laid in bed and watched out the tent window

Double feature Friday. One movie was Sausage Party, which was very very weird to say the least, and most certainly not for young eyes

sausage party.jpg

We got there pretty early, way before the hordes arrived

org_4b9ccf6fdc0706b0_1476516908000-resized-1400.jpg

20161015_164402-resized-1400.jpg