Victorian Police Caravan Blitz

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Unfortunately how else do you educate someone other than hit them with a dose of reality.
I'd love to slap on a uniform and give some education. I'd still be happy at 2pm.
I don't understand why some people don't get it...it's commonsense. And please don't anyone talk about bringing in a special licence to tow caravans.
If people want to take and tow everything under the sun, just buy an American Truck and get the appropriate truck licence. Rant over.
:peep:

dont get me wrong - I am all for education and knowledge

and I also dislike the idea of a "special" licence for towing - the only way would be like a motor Bike Licence - in classes for different sized Vans
however, thats not any good either

yes, we have all seen that guy, with his car overloaded towing a whopping great Van with all sorts attached to it
about as bright as a blown light globe - and just as useful - but a dangerous situation waiting to happen

some people do listen and learn, as noted by some of the posts on here with regards to Vehicles and weights
others already think they know the lot

- what can you do...............................

I hate to admit it, but I will be feeling sorry for the guys in Blue -
as they will have to put up with atleast 10% dorkheads with the "oh, I didnt know......."
I do believe it will run thin by the time 4-6 hours of putting up with said "dorkheads"
I'd love to slap on a uniform and give some education. I'd still be happy at 2pm.

or is that

"I'd love to put on a uniform and SLAP some education into them......I would be real happy at 2pm"

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
And I'll be at Torquay fishing ;)
Im sure I read a post by "someone", possibly on THIS THREAD LINK that Ive thoughtfully attached, that you're pox at fishing ... any truth to that outrageous claim?

Screenshot_2015-11-02-17-03-57.png

Last edited:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I just wish the authorities would get consistent and enforce all driving regulations from driving with fog lights on to all the arseholes that sit in the right lane regardless, including tools who think there captain safety by driving 20 under the posted speed limit in the hwy. Many things make up accidents on our roads, speeding is just one part but is the only thing actively enforced. I've towed at 140km and never felt safer and on other roads haven't considered the speed limit safe enough to travel at. (And iam always conscious if iam holding up just one) educate educate and more eductaion is what our drivers need and regular testing. Flying a plane in open sky's is immensibly easier than driving a car but we are tested regularly.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Totally agree again.

It's not just education but consideration for others as well, methinks. All of our comments, observations could be directed at better road manners and far more consideration for others.

But I guess that's life....and, so called progress.

(yet another bah humbug moment....but I've just come back from a reluctant visit to the local shopping centre....fuming over lots of small incidents which I won't bore you with)

It's just a shame that we have to have regulations to enforce what should be consideration for others.

:argue:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Truckies need a licence with a nice red band and a multitude of codes to drive various vehicles and while it is needed to licence these drivers just like with caravan haulers there are a heap who are brain dead but still have a licence but at least it may thin out a few of the dopes....................So long as a red band MC licence allows you tow a caravan I'm happy.

Reactions: Bluey and Delano

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Truckies need a licence with a nice red band and a multitude of codes to drive various vehicles and while it is needed to licence these drivers just like with caravan haulers there are a heap who are brain dead but still have a licence but at least it may thin out a few of the dopes....................So long as a red band MC licence allows you tow a caravan I'm happy.
Hang on. Hang on. If we're going to frame the new caravan towing license requirements around what licences we already have, i want my Windows 7 license to count too. :ranger:

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We did a tow course had to just sit the exam part to pass. People here have seen us reverse into a spot money well spent not he he :)
ok we did remember and learn a few things.
Most of the idiots on the road passed two tests to drive as well remember.

Although I am one not happy with overloaded vans or cars and worry when I see some go wobbly down the road

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I'm neither for or against licensing for towing. I get that caravaners tow heavier rigs so if it was to be introduced, the public could understand why but there would be a backlash from Joe Public if everyone with a 6x4 box trailer also had to obtain another licence.
The licence would need to be the same across each state and renewed as part of your car licence to avoid additional renewal fees.
If caravaners were such a risk, you would expect insurers to offer big discounts if you had completed voluntary training but I haven't experienced that myself.
I see trucks enter my work every day and the condition of their loads is often much worse than anything a caravaners could do - they might not be overloaded by weight, but if they had an accident, their loads would spill everywhere. Not directly the drivers fault, but they would be accountable. In SA, trucks still have a worse reputation killing others than caravaners do so again might be a hard sell for a politician.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
I have just driven from Melbourne to Coffs Harbour and saw one police car in Victoria and lots in NSW. They were all over the place both on the road and sitting in many places on the side of the road. double demerit points here in NSW as well!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I read somewhere they were having a big set up over Gippsland way to check vans, to advise on loading and generally inform the public, probably seeing how to set up things so they can have things down pat to write out tickets later on.......

Reactions: bigcol and MDS69

mrsmfexpanda

May 27, 2015
Brookfield
We did a tow course had to just sit the exam part to pass. People here have seen us reverse into a spot money well spent not he he :)
ok we did remember and learn a few things.
Most of the idiots on the road passed two tests to drive as well remember.

Although I am one not happy with overloaded vans or cars and worry when I see some go wobbly down the road
Last I remember it was Sarah doing all the hard work reversing whilst you got out of the car to look at the. Caravan park

rags

Reminds me of the time I seen a van arrive at the site next to us. The driver got out of the car whilst still on the road and the park owner then hoped in and promptly proceeded to park the van on the site.
Got talking to the van owner and asked him about getting the park owner to park the van.
He told me how he was a licensed B double truck driver and could park the van without issue, but instead preferred to get someone else to do it. That way he can stand back with his wife and watch the parking of van without the arguing that may occur with wife if he was parking the van.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's really pushing it a bit....particularly for the park manager!

I wonder what some of the park managers I've come across would say if I lobbed up, paid, then asked him / her to park the van.

Just like valet van parking?

8-)8-)

Reactions: Delano and bigcol