Upgrading to Landcruiser 200

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
It's like all high volume items, there is always some problems. Yes it sucks that Toyota oz stick there head in the sand for things and seem to always say it was a bad batch of fuel and so on. No loyalty to it's customers anymore.

But if you look at the numbers sold verses the number with problems it may put the picture into a better perspective. Same as the Prado injector problems and engine failures as a result. But look at the number that are sold.

Our Prado now has 173,000k's under her belt, still original clutch, original injectors (will change them out soon though) original brake pads. Regularly serviced and looked after and has only once let us down with a blocked jet pump in the rear fuel tank blocking the complicated fuel system. Apart from that not one thing has ever gone wrong with it to date. (Have probably jinxed myself now though).

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
I was actually more interested in the account of people writing into the site than the guy who made the site.

But as Gspy4u says you are gonna have X% of bad apples in a bunch, the numbers of vehicles sold is huge so as a % the guys having problems is pretty small. This was certainly no attempt to bag the Toyota, just something I came across as I was doing my research. End of the day if you are happy with whatever you have then life is all good and thats all that matters really.

Cheers
Mike

PS I ended up buying a Discovery 4, Im now running for cover :D

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I was actually more interested in the account of people writing into the site than the guy who made the site.

But as Gspy4u says you are gonna have X% of bad apples in a bunch, the numbers of vehicles sold is huge so as a % the guys having problems is pretty small. This was certainly no attempt to bag the Toyota, just something I came across as I was doing my research. End of the day if you are happy with whatever you have then life is all good and thats all that matters really.

Cheers
Mike

PS I ended up buying a Discovery 4, Im now running for cover :D

The other problem is today people are so fussy with cars too. On that site they talk about a slight vibration in he 200, i grew up travelling around in a G60 patrol when we got the 55 series cruiser wagon I thought it was luxury! They don't know what a driveline vibration is.

The Disco 4 is a great vehicle, but when I looked at one the dealer couldn't get the demo to work! Then I looked up the forum and read about issues there, given the % sold v cruiser they can be construed the same way!

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
My 200 is now 12 months old and 21,000 kms. Am a very happy camper :)

It does exactly what we bought it for - to tow big stuff with some speed and comfort.

Saw all the negative stuff on the internet about 200s - but there is always someone ready to broadcast their negative story if someone will listen!

If you look, you can find negative material about almost any car, 4x4, caravan, almost anything!

Pity more people who have had positive experiences don't speak up like those who have had a negative one.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
My 200 is now 12 months old and 21,000 kms. Am a very happy camper :)

It does exactly what we bought it for - to tow big stuff with some speed and comfort.

Saw all the negative stuff on the internet about 200s - but there is always someone ready to broadcast their negative story if someone will listen!

If you look, you can find negative material about almost any car, 4x4, caravan, almost anything!

Pity more people who have had positive experiences don't speak up like those who have had a negative one.

Well said Ro.

If you look at the Product Review site, there is a mass of negative comments about everything you could imagine buying. People use the internet as an avenue to vent about a bad experience with a product or service. People nowadays seldom write positive comments.

I owned a HSV Maloo in 2003 which fell apart and sold it with 23,000kms on the clock. Obviously came from a bad batch or just one vehicle with some faults. Didn't make a song and dance about it, just go Holden to fix the issues. Weren't fixed to my satisfaction, so I sold it. No big deal. I vote with my feet. Don't see the point in getting on a soap box and scream to anyone who will listen (or read!!) It is my money and I give it to who I believe has the best product to suit my lifestyle and needs, everyone should do the same I think.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
As said, it's like any product regardless of what it is. People unhappy always complain about it, people happy rarely voice it. ALL makes have problems, some worse than others. I think the real thing is how the dealers deal with the problems, stick there head in the sand or actually fix it. That's what makes people come back to there products

My wifes Ralliart has been great but as with other mitsubishi's if you sneeze at the paint you will take it off. Honestly, 2nd lancer and both have so little paint thickness that you have to prey a large bug doesn't hit you or it will take the paint off. But for the money, no complaints. The only real issues that I have with toyota is that they are so damn expensive.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
I agree with gspy4u , happy people rarely voice it which is why you really need to look at qty sold vs complaints / issues etc to get the real picture of what is occurring.
Good luck with the 200! sounds like a nice tug. ;)

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Hi Guys,

Ive deleted my post that referenced "that website" as I feel I may have contributed to this thread swaying away from people enjoying their 200's and that is not what this forum is about.

The thing that I value on this site is the input from people but more importantly the encouragement many of you have given me over the months. This forum is one of the friendliest and most civilised one Ive come across.

I was doing some research as I was in the market for a 200 and came across the posted forum which I hadn't seen before, I should have given it more thought before posting it here.

My sincerest apologies to all. I shall give myself 50 lashes.

Cheers
Mike

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Any information is good information, no need to delete it. it comes up in a lot of google searches and at least it makes people aware of some of the issues inherent to the 200 series. I was aware of the oil consumption issues prior to buying mine, and by the looks they have sorted it in the new models. But this can be due to different weight oils being used.... Blah, Blah, Blah I could go on for ever.
Point is, Don't be scared to post anything on here, im sure it wasn't anyones intentions to make you feel like you posted the wrong thing on here.

Post on!!

Reactions: Antman

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Hi Guys,

Ive deleted my post that referenced "that website" as I feel I may have contributed to this thread swaying away from people enjoying their 200's and that is not what this forum is about.

The thing that I value on this site is the input from people but more importantly the encouragement many of you have given me over the months. This forum is one of the friendliest and most civilised one Ive come across.

I was doing some research as I was in the market for a 200 and came across the posted forum which I hadn't seen before, I should have given it more thought before posting it here.

My sincerest apologies to all. I shall give myself 50 lashes.

Cheers

Mike

Hey mike ditto as for Bigman it's out there and it's knowledge. I hope I didn't make you feel like you shouldn't have posted it? I justed commented because it does come up so much, the joke is I think the oil consumption issue is over but there are other issues appearing and yet they don't get a mention on that site!

For those that missed it
http://www.ohwhatalemon.com/

Regards Toyota Mafia

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hey mike ditto as for Bigman it's out there and it's knowledge. I hope I didn't make you feel like you shouldn't have posted it? I justed commented because it does come up so much, the joke is I think the oil consumption issue is over but there are other issues appearing and yet they don't get a mention on that site!

For those that missed it
http://www.ohwhatalemon.com/

Regards Toyota Mafia

CV Joints? :behindsofa:

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
wasn't there some concerns about the back pressure a blanking plate would put on the turbo (turbo's) ??? Might be wrong.

As others have said, no problems with putting up stuff you find for others to read. I for one certainly didn't have any problems with your listing it. I'd still love a 200 even if they have problems as there isn't much out there with the V8 diesels pulling power. Would rather know about problems others are having than not.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Got a delivery date for next month :) And took a deposit on the Paj yesterday :)

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Just thought I would add to this thread. I have now got my 200 TTD GXL. I added the KDSS suspension from speaking with other owners and reading on the interweb. I added a Safari Snorkel, TJM Alloy bar and DVD Player for the kids.

Loving the car so far. As you may have read in other threads, I need to sort out the tow height to suit my 17.56-2OB. When I picked it up from its service it swayed a little, but I put that down to being nose high!!!

Mods planned are exhaust (to sound like a V8), I'm investigating EGR plates, and possibly a roof rack/pod as we have another child coming in under 2 months.

Thanks for all the replies also guys. That is why I love this site, heaps of ideas and opinions to help spend your hard earned!

Reactions: cruza driver

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I see a lot of people are towing their 17.56-2ob with Prados.
I just checked the ATM on my 17.56-2OB, 2540kg. Doesn't the Prado have a 2500kg limit?