Upgrading to Landcruiser 200

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Hey guys we are considering upgrading from our 2011 GXL Prado (Diesel) to a new 200 Series. We are wanting to put one of the kids in the third row seats and are wondering if anyone can tell me if there are anchors for seats in the back.

I would also like to know how the 200 (V8 Diesel) handles towing a 17.56-2OB, I am assuming with the extra grunt it should handle it with ease. Would like to know what mods to get to assist with towing.

We are not sure which model to get as yet, but we are looking at the Altitude, but it won't be around forever.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Hey Mate,
We are not going to live down the whole Moranbah people driving 200's thing, we have just upgraded to a 200 last august and it tows the van really well!! The only thing we did, wasn't really to help towing the van more for the looks, was the ARB suspension upgrade. Now when we put the van on the back it all sits level. I will have to wait until ours gets home from school pickup but I think it has the anchors on the back of the actual seats. I will let you know...

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
when we looked at the 200 series, I had the dealer also quote the suspension upgrade to increase the GVM. Its just too low once all packed and our 5 people. I would not have bought it without.....

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I saw a photo of a 200 on lcool that had been rear ended by a truck doing ninety! Very impressive crumple zone on the 200 but it convinced me once ours turns up I will be removing be the rear seats and never sitting a living sole in the back again.

I think you will be blown away by the towing torque of the 200, I can't wait.

A GVM upgrade is worthwhile considering. The ARB one is a bargin at $330 ontop of the ARB suspension ($2k approx) the Lovells one is harder to swallow at $4k. The installer I chose has been doing GVM upgrades for near ten years and said he did about 9 or 10 a year till last year. Last year he did 90! It seems GVM will become a bigger issue in coming years.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
We looked at the Altitude - 597kg payload
less 350kg family
less 180kg tow ball weight
= 67kg for bullbar, winch, heavier tyres etc and internal fitout, fridge etc.
GXL, or VX would've given an extra 70kg, sahara and extra 20kg.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey mate

The 120 did drop a bit to start with. But putting a WDH setup and airbags in pulled it back up. He pulls a 17" Discovery with his not sure of tare and ball weight but can find out if you want.

Cheers
Ants

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Hi Hubble 80, we've got the same vehicle and are waiting on a 17.56-2.

What are you towing? I'm wondering if I should be doing anyting to the car before pickup, aor waiting until we've had it for a while and beginning to play...?

I'd be interested in your feedback.

Cheers,
Rob

I am towing a 17.56-2OB. The Prado is pretty sluggish with it there, but once up to speed is alright. I think a manual would be a better option to tow, but stop start traffic would be a pain in the a$$ as would reversing. As long as you leave it in sports mode and know when to drop back to fourth it is ok performance wise. As I am looking at upgrading to the 200 I am not really looking to do anything else to the Prado. I did look at airbags first as they are around $400 fitted. If I needed more height I would probably look at a WDH. The other thing I am gonna do before our next trip with the Prado is flip the tow bar tongue over. Will give about another 50 of height. Just gotta ensure the back door opens!!!

I am towing a 17.56-2OB. The Prado is pretty sluggish with it there, but once up to speed is alright. I think a manual would be a better option to tow, but stop start traffic would be a pain in the a$$ as would reversing. As long as you leave it in sports mode and know when to drop back to fourth it is ok performance wise. As I am looking at upgrading to the 200 I am not really looking to do anything else to the Prado. I did look at airbags first as they are around $400 fitted. If I needed more height I would probably look at a WDH. The other thing I am gonna do before our next trip with the Prado is flip the tow bar tongue over. Will give about another 50 of height. Just gotta ensure the back door opens!!!

Thanks Hubble - Same van as us. I'm definately a fan of the sports mode - also for braking.

I would hate to lose the ability to open the door! Airbags may be a requirement.... I was also considering a chip.... I'll give it a go at easter and see what happens.

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
6 speed manual on the prado makes a big difference in how comfortable towing it is. Most of the time we leave ours in 6th on the highways and drop down to 5th up gradients. 1st is a little pain as they are over geared in 1st anyway but it's not that bad. For reversing up to sites i just drop it into low range which makes life lots easier. You just have to think ahead to be in the right gear and its quite happy towing our 17.56.2-ob.
Would love a 200 series but just can't justify Toyota's damn expensive price.

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
If you look at chipping the Prados, just remember that the majority of the time it will do damage in the long run. You will at some point in time have to replace your fuel pump. The fuel pumps in them already run at high pressure and when you chip them they run at even higher pressure all the time lessening their life span. The other thing is that the Prado is a variable vane setup so no waste gate to slow it down. Which is great for power but again puts lots of pressure on the low end of the engine.

Don't get me wrong, im not against chipping just most people find it hard to find the cons of chipping in the long term.

Cheers
Ants