18' Series Towing

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Ok here goes im so confused i have a 2012 jayco expanda 16 foot it isnt the outback model with bunks i looking at upgrade to 18 foot outback with ensuite i own a hyundai terracan it pulls it perfect even fully loaded on my tow bar plate it has towing 2500kg which is fine now i believe the 18 foot is around 2175 kg tare weight does that include fridge mucrowave ect now on plate also has downward weight 200kg with 5 passengers and 150kg with 7 passengers so i gather if i tow the 16 foot with 7 passengers im over loaded but if i have a trek and tow it says 250 kg with 5 passengers and 200 with 7 passengers now i dont think the trek and tow on my 4wd but the shocks are yellow in colour so it looks like the shocks and spring might been changed im not sure would this be the same as a trek and tow ones so ball weight is higher and is it possable to buy the 18 foot outback and tow with this vechicle

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if in doubt about your suspension, take it to a suspension place - Pedders, or Ultimate Suspension or someone like that

1) they can tell you if your current setup is ok - and hopefully what type it is
2) they can recommend if you need to upgrade it any further for the new Van

not too sure what this "Trek & Tow" is that you speak of

Reactions: dagree

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
That's a really long sentence. I think there were 3 questions in there.
Yes the fridge and microwave should be included in the tare weight.
Tare on the current 18ft is 2210. Towball is 185, but that could change depending on your inclusions.
The trek and tow pack according to google uses Eibach shocks, google image search shows those shocks are normally red in colour, so you may not have it.

I think with 7 pasengers you'll be overloaded. Plus you'll only have under 300kg for luggage. The Terracan has similar towing specs to a Prado, and I believe some Prado owners who have upgraded to an 18ft have had to repace the Prado.

I'm happy to be corrected on this. A couple beers and pork belly for dinner may have impaired me slightyly.

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
I think hyundai sold them not any more since they no longer make the terracan but i read about after market ones tryed downloading photo of plate it wont work

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
I think hyundai sold them not any more since they no longer make the terracan but i read about after market ones tryed downloading photo of plate it wont work
Trek and tow summary

To cater for the needs of owners who wish to go offroad or tow heavy loads Hyundai’s accessory arm, Astrel, has developed an optional heavy duty suspension kit called Trek’n’Tow. Besides the claimed offroad benefits, it also increases the allowable towball load from 200kg up to 250kg (tow capacity 2500kg).

Variable-rated springs are supplied by Eibach, Performer IAS shock absorbers from Edelbrock automatically adjust to respond to varying terrain and new Elastrogran bump stops double as a secondary spring.

The Trek‘n’Tow kit raises the Terracan 20mm. This not only helps to avoid obstacles when venturing into the rough, but also prevents the Terracan from sagging too much when heavily loaded.

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Hhmm this is what i thought i dont really need bunks but like the idea of a ensuite washing machine toilet shower separate not sure what other vans has these need to research i think

Reactions: JaycoQ

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Grover I would be checking to see what your Aggregate weight (ATM) of the van is before doing anything with the suspension or anything else.
The Outbacks usually have an ATM of the Tare weight plus 475kg payload (Including the empty ball mass (Downward weight)

Given the above your 18 footer would come in somewhere around an ATM of 2650KGs..... Being 150KGs over the maximum towing weight of your Terracan's Towbar maximum weight.... Just some food for thought!!!

I'm not sure if the Terracan's maximum towing is 2500KGs or not? If it is higher than the Outback's ATM then you might want to speak to a towbar supplier!

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Yes 2500kg the maxium it is a astrel plate on my tow bar but i think more concerns is the towing capacity so back to the drawing board i revkon choosing a van that suits lol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
so back to the drawing board i revkon choosing a van that suits lol
I read your original post wrong.... I was under the impression you had already bout the 18' van!!!!!!
Do you really need an Outback? The touring model has an approximate Tare weight of 1965KG's and if you get the ensuite version the payload of 475KG's gets you "just" under the 2500KG limit..... BUT the jayco website weights are only approximate so you would still have to be careful buying new.

Reactions: yabbietol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
so back to the drawing board i revkon choosing a van that suits lol

just to trow a "spanner in the works" - when are you due for a car upgrade?

perhaps, upgrading the Car first? and go another year with the 16' - gives you more time to research what you want / need in the new van...............

I would ALWAYS suggest that anyone err on the side of safety

Reactions: dagree

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Well no didnt need outback just thought different in price was worth it um im a single mum maybe ill just find a man with a good towing vechicle lol cant afford both thanks guys might look at standard one

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
if it was me - - - -
I'd go for the touring as opposed to getting a man............. who will take over and probably spoil your trips...........:behindsofa:

that said
we will get to the basic's and start from there

how many people do you normally take with you........ total of 5 (just you and your kids) or total of 7(kids mates)
that will give you an indication of what you need as a towing vehicle

now, the Touring model is less weight than the Outback - so that would be what I would suggest you look at
but also, keep to the very very basic's of what you need
maybe sleeping bags instead of doona's and sheets, carry basic supplies
2 cans baked beans - 4 cartons of Moselle (you know what I mean.................)

as long as your budget can stretch to having your suspension & brakes checked out, and sorted that would be the first on the list
I'm not sure where in NSW you are, but Ultimate Suspensions are a lot better to deal with than Pedders
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au/

I have had their suspension & advice before when they used to have a shop in Perth........ a few years ago mind you

Grover

Jul 20, 2012
Ill stick to be single lol i have 2 young girls always tag along a extra my point was like i went to snownys had 7 passengers which was my older kids and girlfriend took my expanda like 6 hours drive so therefore my downball weight i was over limit due to amount of passengers and 150 kg limit but my van on expanda tow ball downhill is i think 165 kg but i think ill stick to touring one thanks guys

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
First up don't go by the tow bar plate for the tow specs, forget about tare weight nobody tows an empty van with an empty vehicle, start at the GCM (Gross Combination Mass ) of the tug, deduct what it weighs when youve loaded it up for a holiday, whats left over is what you can hook onto the tow bar remembering that as you load up your tug the amount you can hang on the tow ball gets less................
This is a bit from the RVD listing, if you want to check it out yourself here's the link, the system has operating hours up to 0800 -2300 on Saturdays....0900-2300 sundays......http://myrta.com/rvd/index.jsp

Looking at the RVD list it shows a GVm of 2.8t and a tare of 2.2t with a max tow cap of 2.5t thats the CRD the petrol is a bit less on tare but rest the same.
Notes (1) For the Trailer Mass, => 2500kg : Vehicle carring up to 5 passengers
(1st & 2nd row) => 2450kg : Vehicle carring 6~7passengers 2)

So all in all I would say loaded up 2 ton van.