17' Series Towing Mirrors - advice please

David McG

Mar 7, 2014
Hills District Sydney
We arrived back mid August after three months driving Sydney/Perth/Broome/Katherine/ALice/Pt Augusta/Broken Hill/Sydney - plenty of time to check out mirrors. Started off with mirros that clipped on to the existing car mirrors but after 2 days bought a support arm that went down to a magnetic plate on the side of the car door. I was tired of having to open the window at speed to straighten the mirror every time we passed a truck and was concerned my car mirror would break. The Jayco person told me they had never heard of a problem once the arm was fitted. There was not a problem unless you drive above grey nomad speed. At 90kms you can pass a road train and everything is fine. We have a 16" expander behind a 200 Cruiser so we can comfortably sit at 105kms on most reasonable roads and not feel anything is being pushed. At that speed the mirrors collapsed with passing trucks. As the cruiser was only 15months old I held off getting the type that mount into the window sill but in Perth I had enough so took the plunge. Never looked back, excuse the punn. Stable mirror that did not move and the rubber on the window sill bounces back. The Clearviews looked great and everyone I talked to who had them loved them. As I need to save up long service leave before doing a big trip again and in between do lots of city driving, "big ears" on the cruiser did not make sense.

PS I love the view in the mirror when you are on the road with the van and the great outdoors all around as the kms slip by!

Jajh

Aug 26, 2014
We have just returned from three months caravanning and on our 3rd set of mirrors after losing one that fell off. We now use the Camec suction cup mirror. It's not the biggest mirror on the market but it's certainly one of the cheapest. We have done about 10,ooo klm and the mirror hasn't moved, even with the semis flying past. They come with an elastic tie that goes on your existing mirror just in case the suction lets go. At about $22 each, I can't fault them.
040656_2_2361.jpg

Reactions: yabbietol

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I was speaking with someone the other day who had just done around 7000k's with their van and was using those Camec suction cup ones. He swore by them. Never moved and even when road trains went past.
As a bonus they are adjustable via your own electric mirror controller, no more telling SWMBO, "up a bit, in a bit" etc.
For $19 each I'll give 'em a go first, if not happy then I'll get some Milenco's.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I was speaking with someone the other day who had just done around 7000k's with their van and was using those Camec suction cup ones. He swore by them. Never moved and even when road trains went past.
As a bonus they are adjustable via your own electric mirror controller, no more telling SWMBO, "up a bit, in a bit" etc.
For $19 each I'll give 'em a go first, if not happy then I'll get some Milenco's.

I see you have a Jeep, so you should be ok, with the Camec mirrors.
I have heard (only rumour) that these suction cup mirrors do not fit newer model Pajero's due to the depth of the mirror shroud.
I am not sure about this and would like it if someone could either confirm this or dispel this concern.

They do look good value and simple in fitting and low cost.

Last edited:

Barra

Apr 11, 2014
Townsville
Clear views were the way to go for me. They are great. Travelled 9,000kms in just under 4 weeks with them on a trip to the Kimberley's. No trouble at all with the road trains and the dirt roads. Good investment.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Well I tried to fit my Camec suction cup ones today in anticipation of heading away tomorrow afternoon for the long weekend, and it was a no-go with them.
I could get the passenger side one to fit as the glass and housing are close together, but the drivers side has the mirror adjusted in further so the depth from the housing to the glass wouldn't let me attach it. Bugger.

Rang up where I got them from and he exchanged them for the Camec ones that are similar to the Milenco's, so I'll see how these go.
he even fitted it for me to make sure they actually do fit..
040657_41.jpg

Reactions: yabbietol

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
We had clear views fitted last week ... they are massive (especially first day) - but actually getting used to them now it's amazing how much you can see! We'll take them off between trips - just need to get the mirror wires extended a touch so we only need to remove the cover inside the mirror