17' Series Towing Mirrors - advice please

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Hi Expanda Family

I'm looking to get a set of towing mirrors for my 150 Prado and soon to arrive 17.56-1. Never towed with extended mirrors before.

Looking for advice on what is a good mirror brand out there worth buying. Something that provides good visibility, stability etc. Any links to sites, or pictures welcome!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Expect a mountain of info @Simon (Good reports and bad)
I currently use a set similar to these
cipa_dual_view_clip_on_towing_mirror.jpg
Find them easy to fit and have a flat and convex/concave? mirror giving multiple view down the sides of the van but can get a bit confusing as to which mirror to use and judge for distance. The larger lens on one of them has also come loos and vibrates while driving.

Looking at getting a set of clearview mirrors which replace the original vehicle ones and extend out when required.... Not cheap but have been highly recommended to me by others (Just waiting for a 2nd hand set to come up cheap)
clearview mirrors.JPG

From what I have been told keep away from the ones that hook onto your door with pads and straps unless you like scratches on the paintwork!!

Cheyne78

May 30, 2014
Perth
Hi @Simon . Great choice of van and tug. Ours should get here next week! We bought Clearview mirrors second hand through their website and got them sent over. They are relatively easy to fit (even for a novice), but beware they are huge (even when retracted) and SWMBO is not a fan (and its her soccer mum car during the week). Ive nearly cleaned up a garage pillar doing exactly as @dagree suggested with distances. I can't comment on other brands as I also haven't towed before but these ones are rock solid even when driving off road and on dirt bush tracks.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Just purchased the Milenco aero mirrors at the Penrith show last weekend.

Easy to fit, no straps, hardly any vibration in the wind even at 110kph, and significantly cheaper than the Clearview's I was originally looking at.

Reactions: relgate and Greeeny

Ben Stanford

Feb 23, 2014
Sunbury, Vic
Expect a mountain of info @Simon (Good reports and bad)
I currently use a set similar to these
View attachment 25806
Find them easy to fit and have a flat and convex/concave? mirror giving multiple view down the sides of the van but can get a bit confusing as to which mirror to use and judge for distance. The larger lens on one of them has also come loos and vibrates while driving.

Looking at getting a set of clearview mirrors which replace the original vehicle ones and extend out when required.... Not cheap but have been highly recommended to me by others (Just waiting for a 2nd hand set to come up cheap)
View attachment 25807

From what I have been told keep away from the ones that hook onto your door with pads and straps unless you like scratches on the paintwork!!

I have used both of these and would not tow with anything less the the Clearview! They are a little pricey, but when you think of the fact your towing a van worth more then $40,000 you want peace of mind!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I use the Aussie Truck mirrors have done for years, at the time they were about the best around, yes they have straps and clip to the door but never been an issue with scratching etc., And stable from passing trucks, though when the straps get wet either rain or overnight due the straps can go slack and come loose.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEz__aphbEgSOfsXQ8_3mEW9nIeGIiOXW4uQ9hZiv2vcXIX3_zsQ.jpg
Clearview actually now do an electric version of the same mirror though you have to run cables through the door seal.

Though lately I've been thinking of the Milenco Grand aero mirrors also

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I've tried numerous types over the years, from the Aussie Truck Mirrors (a Chinese copy off evil bay), the ORA Rossa mirrors to basic strap on $20 jobbies. I'm going to get myself a set of the Milenco's next as the write ups on those appear pretty good and they all comment on how stable they are.

The ATM copies worked well and didn't rub but the glass fell out on one after several hundred k's of dirt road, somewhere along the Savannah Way. I liked the ORA's but were a bit fiddle to setup and if the suction cap failed they blew in pretty quickly. I could never justify Clearviews, and I'd want them off as soon as I unhooked. (Plus they don't fit my Jeep so it's a moot point anyway).

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Apparently clearview are working on a Jeep model, if they were half the size or I was on the road full time I might consider them, but agree with @Matty4 they would have to come off with the van.

Reactions: Matty4

Chooky

Jan 14, 2013
Glenden, Qld
Yeh I'm the same if I was on the road full time and they were a bit smaller than Tony Abbotts ears I might be able to justify them, I thought $165.00 was a lot to spend so no way I'll be getting Clearviews just yet.

Reactions: rcf and Delano

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Apparently clearview are working on a Jeep model, if they were half the size or I was on the road full time I might consider them, but agree with @Matty4 they would have to come off with the van.
@DRW ,Yep, I saw an image recently of a set fitted to a Jeep, and it was an Overland too.
I can't see how though, as on the Overland I would lose the auto folding, the electro-chromatic dimming, the blind spot monitor, the auto dipping in reverse and the heated mirror functions.
I'd like to keep those features.

Reactions: DRW

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Thanks guys.

@Cheyne78 and @dagree - I've ruled out Clearviews mirrors, have seen them on a Prado and they look ridiculously large. The treasurer aka wife would take out everyone with them on, not to mention that my truck will be called dumbo as it is grey!

@Flossymk1 and @Bellbirdweb - I hadn't heard of Milenco till now. I saw the You Tube clip and was impressed, look nice and large and aerodynamic - they claim no support arm is needed cause they don't blow back. Is this true in your experience? Are these widely available in Oz from caravan accessories stores? Any idea on price?

@Matty4 - The Ora Rossi was on my list, but an magnetic arm on the door is a must to stop blow back and vibration. How often do the suction fail?

Has anyone considered or used magnetic support arms? If so how did they go re scratching. I have noticed with some brands that a pad sits between the door and magnetic mount, does thus stop scratching?

Reactions: rcf and dagree

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Milenco Aero 2 (which are the smaller teardrop design) are about $115-130. Then you have the Milenco Aero which are bigger and flatter, about $10 more.

I have the Aero 2, it is physically impossible for them to blow back. They are smaller then most other mirrors but if the purpose of the mirror is to see approaching traffic behind you they do the job.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I think Milenco or brunsgaard depending which works for tow vehicle seems what is recommend now each time I see this question on forums.. on the land rover forum they where saying brunsgaard hence I got them. Fits well
Clearview well the standard Disco mirrors not small to start with :)

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Hi Simon, we have the clearview mirrors on our patrol and find them excellent. The after sales help for them is excellent as well. ( for us anyway)