17' Series Time to say hello

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Hello

I have been contributing to the forum a little bit under false pretences, I don't yet have a van. I am driving to Nyngan this weekend to pick-up my 17.56-2OB and looking forward to it. We, the family (2 kids and mum), have been caravanning for a while now and have been Coromals owners with a Magnum 380 camper. Love it, but as the kids are now 10 and 12 we need to get something a little bigger. Enter the 17.56-2 which should fix the bedding issues we are currently having with only a queen and a double. I like the bigger fridge and the idea of the toilet and shower. I have always been a little disappointed with the Jayco's I have examined at shows etc. because they always seemed to have a loose draw or catches that didn't quite catch. But at the end of the day I need to upsize and it all comes down to floor plan. The 17.56-2 is ideal and this van I am buying seems in good nick at a reasonable price.

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
Welcome. I think yor going to love your new van. We've had ours for 2 years now and the floor plan is great.
I've got 2 extra kids and there's plenty of room.
You may have to air it it out since its come from Nyngan if you know what what I mean.

Cheers

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
So I picked up my new van (2011 17.56-2 OB) from Nyngan and drove it back to Canberra, stopping at Forbes on the way. Here is a piccie:

New Van.jpg

Towed very well with the VW. Fuel usage during the 110kph section was unknown as it was all the same day as the drive up so was distorted but on the Forbes / Canberra section it used 16.5 lph which I thought was good.No headwinds and the van is not fully loaded but I doubt it will change much once loaded. The boy and I spent the night in it at Forbes and it's quite different from the old camper. Spent today going over it again and still think it is in excellent condition for the $$$ with the only issue being a nick in the fibreglass on the back that was repaired poorly.

My MOD (to do) List

• Curtain around bunk
  • Hose holders perhaps cage under van
  • Key rack
  • Front box (low priority)

I also want to size some plastic containers for the cupboards and perhaps slide out racks. The van had the following already:

• 150l Fridge
  • Shelves in the cupboard nead the door
  • Powerpoint and hole in same cupboard fir toaster/jug on the top of the cupboard
  • Tellie/DVD
  • Water filter
  • Rear towbar for bike rack
  • External speakers
  • Battery
  • Rooftop aircon
  • Additional 12v power for tellie

I think that's all.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Maiden voyage a success. We just went to Bundanoon for a night in the Morton National Park and it was excellent. The van was buffeted a lot in the wind and coming back the wind was a also strong and side or head most of the time. Fuel consumption when up to around 17.3l/100 and I slowed down to 100kph just to be on the safe side. All in all very happy though I did manage to lose the two nuts from the locking screw on the awning, oh and somehow managed to break one of the stabiliser feet. Off to Jayco next week I guess. Have a couple of questions but I'll search first then ask them is separate threads

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
I think most of us have lost the awning screws.
I purchased some extras just in case.
Also have broken the drop down leg supports. I think a rock may have hit mine while travelling.
Your set up looks great.

Cheers

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
I think most of us have lost the awning screws.
I purchased some extras just in case.
Also have broken the drop down leg supports. I think a rock may have hit mine while travelling.
Your set up looks great.

Cheers

Thanks. It's odd about the plastic leg support but not surprising when I look at the design. The risers on the side take the whole load, but then I guess they need to fit different leg types at different angles. Ideally the foot of the leg would rest on the plastic support to spread the load.

Bank of Dad

Jul 20, 2011
Kilmore, VIC
Brookes you'll love the layout.

We have a 15 year old girl and 13 year old boy and we reckon the design is made for us.

We too carry spare awning nuts. I have helped people out with cable ties when they have lost them. Seems pretty common.

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Brookes you'll love the layout.

We have a 15 year old girl and 13 year old boy and we reckon the design is made for us.

We too carry spare awning nuts. I have helped people out with cable ties when they have lost them. Seems pretty common.

We have a 12yo boy and a 10yo girl and the girl had the top bunk and the boy the rear bed leaving the small dinette for a kids cave. Seems to work but we'll see.

Reactions: Dandy

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Looks like a combo made in heaven Brookes:whoo:

I can see why that model van is so popular. Seems like pretty resonable fuel consumption in the Beetle too consider the size of the van and windy conditions.

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
So I picked up my new van (2011 17.56-2 OB) from Nyngan and drove it back to Canberra, stopping at Forbes on the way. Here is a piccie:

View attachment 8712

Towed very well with the VW. Fuel usage during the 110kph section was unknown as it was all the same day as the drive up so was distorted but on the Forbes / Canberra section it used 16.5 lph which I thought was good.No headwinds and the van is not fully loaded but I doubt it will change much once loaded. The boy and I spent the night in it at Forbes and it's quite different from the old camper. Spent today going over it again and still think it is in excellent condition for the $$$ with the only issue being a nick in the fibreglass on the back that was repaired poorly.

My MOD (to do) List

• Curtain around bunk
  • Hose holders perhaps cage under van
  • Key rack
  • Front box (low priority)

I also want to size some plastic containers for the cupboards and perhaps slide out racks. The van had the following already:

• 150l Fridge
  • Shelves in the cupboard nead the door
  • Powerpoint and hole in same cupboard fir toaster/jug on the top of the cupboard
  • Tellie/DVD
  • Water filter
  • Rear towbar for bike rack
  • External speakers
  • Battery
  • Rooftop aircon
  • Additional 12v power for tellie

I think that's all.

Hi Brookes2622

Nice set up, I like the idea of the tow ball at the back for the bikes and would like to do the same.
How's it set up, could you post a pic of it please?
Thanks

brookes2622

Jun 24, 2012
Bywong NSW
Great way to keep the weight hanging off the rear down, thanks for sharing your idea.

I'd like to take credit for it MM but in honesty I can't. I bought the van like that, not sure if it was done in Nyngan or Dubbo by the previous owner but that's where the van came from.