18' Series Time to get the Toolbox & Rear Bumper bar to carry bike rack project underway.

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Hello all.
Time to get the toolbox organised for the van. We have a week planned in Anglesea in October so it would be great to get the toolbox installed for the trip.
I have done an initial sketch. Looking for some feedback.

Toolbox sketch 1.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Looks similar to what someone has done on here, if you can find it should be a major help.........................so long as you have a minimum of 900mm clear from towball along the draw bar you should be okay any closer and you will surely bash your tug....

Reactions: bigcol and Lozza T

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Looks similar to what someone has done on here, if you can find it should be a major help.........................so long as you have a minimum of 900mm clear from towball along the draw bar you should be okay any closer and you will surely bash your tug....
Thanks Drover. I am certain I should have at least 900mm clearance to the tow ball.

Does any one know what the exact dimensions of the Weber Baby Q are? In particular the depth? The Weber website only have a dimension of the depth with lid open of 54cm. I am assuming with the lid closed the depth would be smaller?

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Toolbox design has been updated and have actually received a reasonable quote from MW Toolbox.
Things to consider -
1) Can I keep the gas regulator in the original position? I am assuming I can and just need to get new longer hoses.
2) How much should the slide out draw extend out past the edge of the box? 750mm? 1000mm?
3) How much will this box weigh? Product has been quoted using 2mm aluminium.
4) Is there any legal issue having the gas bottles located approx 100mm from the edge of the caravan?
5) I would normally have a bike rack attached to the tow bar which will add weight to the tow ball. I am thinking of upgrading the rear bumper to accommodate a rear tow hitch. See next post.....

Toolbox sketch 1.51 JP.jpg

Reactions: bigcol

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
To counter act the additional weight of the front toolbox I am thinking to upgrade the rear bumper bar and fit a tow hitch. See following sketch...... Thinking this will add approx 35-40kgs (with out the bike rack & bikes).
Not sure if the size of the steel I have selected will be sufficient. Will speak to a steel fabricator for their opinion.
Anyone's thoughts would be very much appreciated?

Rear bumper towbar hitch 2.jpg

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
With the rear bike rack, if your thinking of a design such as what I have.

33453131624_08dbb7bc15_c.jpg

I strongly recommend you DO NOT DO IT.
My chassis has been strengthen for the rear bar similar to your drawings. On a recent trip a friend followed me and filmed how much the bikes moved, it wasn't pretty. The bikes bounced up and down a lot, it wasn't due to the bike rack, but the rear bar flex.
To correct it, i'd need to make longer rear bar mounts to spread the load further along the vans chassis, being worried about a knock on effect with this idea I thought a bit differently and did this.

35289838601_4df9605c1c_c.jpg

The tool box by the way is this.
https://www.kincrome.com.au/gullwing-alum-truck-box-1600mm

A webber 2200 fit in it just, and a honda 2.0 fits sideways also.

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks DavidR for the tip.
I was thinking to fit the bikes on top of the toolbox but I was concerned about weight.
I am assuming the toolbox with gear inside it would be approx 80kg? 5 bikes approx and bike carrier another 80kgs?
The van currently has 181kg tow ball weight and my Triton has a 300kg rating.
Should I be concerned about this?

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
Ummm? :).
Yer.
Ball weight can be a biggy with what I did. So care is required.
I am moving existing weight back to compensate.

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Yes @bigcol. I have seen that also on cars carrying bike racks with an additional strap that would assist in preventing bounce.

Last edited:

DaveR

Mar 13, 2017
Gold Coast
That theory sounds great, and would work very well, but in the case of a Jayco it must be asked what is the load bearing point on the top exactly? I hope it is more then thin fiberglass and ply wood.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Was wondering the same thing myself @DaveR.

That'd be an awfully long rope @bigcol ! Would think that there would be some flex in the rope itself over that distance!

I used to keep our bikes on the back of our last van as well. Until I realised how much flex there actually is. Ended up damaging the back of the van with the handlebars. Despite a clearance of several centimetres.

Now store them inside in racks mounted on boards. Pain to store onsite (have to slide under van) and will suck when I have to pack the van when everything's wet!

Attachments

• IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 298
Reactions: CJ1177 and bigcol