Things to look for

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
Picking up my 14.44-4 this weekend and was just wondering if any of you have any tips for things to check at delivery. Moto Moto I know you got your 14 a week or two ago have you found anything of concern?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day Boots, I hope all goes well with your pick-up. Things that were wrong with ours at pick-up and since :-
1. Air con did not work. I would have had to wait another day to pick up so I arranged to bring it home and get fixed locally. Done.
2. Front boot leaked (badly), Two attempts to fix finally resulted in rubber strip above boot being removed and resealed. Done
3. Double power point in slide out pantry where microwave and oven connected, only working on one side. Not yet fixed
4. Bed hard lid latch not holding on one side. Not yet fixed
5. Seal on bed lid coming off on one corner. Done
6. Cracks in fibreglass roof. Not yet fixed
7. Tow hitch too low. Fixed at my expense with 2 x 25mm blocks.
8. Clearance light at front top full of moisture. Replaced

Still happy with the van and Jayco's backup. :yo:

Paul

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
G'day Boots, I hope all goes well with your pick-up. Things that were wrong with ours at pick-up and since :-
1. Air con did not work. I would have had to wait another day to pick up so I arranged to bring it home and get fixed locally. Done.
2. Front boot leaked (badly), Two attempts to fix finally resulted in rubber strip above boot being removed and resealed. Done
3. Double power point in slide out pantry where microwave and oven connected, only working on one side. Not yet fixed
4. Bed hard lid latch not holding on one side. Not yet fixed
5. Seal on bed lid coming off on one corner. Done
6. Cracks in fibreglass roof. Not yet fixed
7. Tow hitch too low. Fixed at my expense with 2 x 25mm blocks.
8. Clearance light at front top full of moisture. Replaced

Still happy with the van and Jayco's backup. :yo:

Paul

Interested in number 7, I thought there hitches were at the ADR height?

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Interested in number 7, I thought there hitches were at the ADR height?

Hi Jim

I know we will have the same problem with ours. While we were at the Brisbane show I asked one of the Jayco reps about the low height of the hitch, he said ADR allows them to place the hitch height anywhere beetween 40 - 46 cm. The one we ended up buying has it 40cm, a bit silly as it is an outback model and unless you were going to tow it with a mini it will be way too low :)

Shane

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day again Shane. Yes, the ones not fixed are because I have not had it back to get them done. They will be fairly simple fixes except for the fibreglass repairs but this one is in hand and hopefully will be done shortly. :pound:

Hi, Jim. The tow ball receiver welded to the bottom of the of the draw bar is fine if towed with a normal car or wagon but I have a 4WD which is higher to start with and I want to get a suspension upgrade which will raise it even more. This then lifts the front of the van and dropping the rear end which, on an Outback, is not a welcome outcome. At the moment, with the 50mm lift in receiver, the van rides level. But I see in Stone Stomper's pix he has welded the hitch to the top of the draw bar. I don't know the legalities of doing this but it would sure sort out my situation. :wink:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hey Boots,

Bet you can't wait!

As far as the tow hitch goes we went a Hyland hitch with a 50mm raiser underneith, sits perfectly level behind our Patrol

hyland.JPG

As for other things to look for, here are a list of my issues so far:

- Safe mounted next to water pump so it couldn't be opened - dealer moved
- Interior lights were the old power sucking lights, all 2011 pop tops should be LED - dealed swaped for LED globes at delivery rather than have to swap whole light fitting.
- Screws that keep small plastic hub caps on were either cross threaded or the heads stipped - replacements came in the mail last Friday
- Tare weght aroun 1.5t, has a 2t axle, but only had a 300kg payload. I successfully asked for a new plate with a payload increase - Jayco HQ agreed to another 75kg payload.
- Grease or silocone throughout interior - cleaned at delivery
- I asked for the fridge door to swing towards the dinette, not the bunks - Wasn't done so dealer had to do at delivery
- My van has three hatches, two for front boot, one at the rear, all Thetford brand, all different keys - dealer looking into key alike under warranty for me.
- Strip that separates the fibre glass and chequer plate not screwed in completley and therefore not sealed properly - One area fixed at delivery, but found another area on theweekend - will have to be fixed at first service.
- Drain from sink leaks into drawer below, not bad, just a few drips if water left in the sink - to be repaired first service
- Huge scratch in dining window - to be replaced first service
lift up hatches under dinette seat have broken after one trip. The hinges have been pop riveted into the ply????? - will fix myself
- Not impressed with location of number plate, obscured by bike rack when not in use - will order another small number plate from RTA as we will have bikes most of the time that block the number plate anyway.

Despite all these issues, we have been away twice in our van and regret nothing. It is so perfect for us, holidaying has never been so easy! All the issues we have had i consider pretty minor and easily repaired.

Hope they have learnt from the issues on the early ones and yours will be perfect:first:

Lisao

Jun 7, 2011
Melbourne
hi moto moto,
- Interior lights were the old power sucking lights, all 2011 pop tops should be LED - dealed swaped for LED globes at delivery rather than have to swap whole light fitting.

I remember seeing the led interior lights listed in the jayco book. The other day we went to jayco to have another look and noticed the lights of 2011 model were not led. Do u know were u saw the led lights listed cause I just know when we receive our van in 4 or 5 weeks it will not have LEDs.
Thanks

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We didn't get LED lamps in ours either so I have just ordered 4 from China for $7.72 delivered and will fit them when they arrive. :pout:

I think the brochure mention LED lamps but is only referring to the tail/brake and blinker lights as well as the clearance lights. These are all LED's. :hail:

Paul

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I remember seeing the led interior lights listed in the jayco book. The other day we went to jayco to have another look and noticed the lights of 2011 model were not led. Do u know were u saw the led lights listed cause I just know when we receive our van in 4 or 5 weeks it will not have LEDs.

Nope we didn't get them either.

I bought the T10 24 led globes and I just don't think they're quite bright enough so I now ordered the T10 36 SMD LED Light Festoon Dome Bulb Lamp White 12V
and hopefully they are a bit brighter.
If it works out I'll leave the 24's over the bed ends and the 36's every where else.

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for the list Moto Moto, I think we will need the 50mm hitch lift as well. Did you get yours fitted from the factory or did they fit it at pickup ? We have the same bike rack as you so I hope they have found a better spot for the number plate. As ours was a show demo model we didn't get the chance to add too much (managed to squeeze a Kakadu annexe out of them) and I can't remember if the lights were led or not. Will check the payload weight too that is good advice. Glad to hear that overall you are happy.

Shane

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
At the Sydney show every pop top i looked in had the new LED lights. I asked my dealer if they were standard and he said yes on all 2011 models except campers.

He showed me some floor stock, some that came a few weeks before mine was delivered had LED's, all the van that came in the same delivery as mine had the old school lights. He figured they probably ran out of stock to just used the older ones. He changed all the globes over to LED no problems at all. Over $200 worth of LED's!!!!!!!!!

Worth asking the question!

Also worth asking about payload. As far as i understand they always have 300kg on expandas, but if you ask, depending on the model, sometimes you can get more:rockon:

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
G'day again Shane. Yes, the ones not fixed are because I have not had it back to get them done. They will be fairly simple fixes except for the fibreglass repairs but this one is in hand and hopefully will be done shortly. :pound:

Hi, Jim. The tow ball receiver welded to the bottom of the of the draw bar is fine if towed with a normal car or wagon but I have a 4WD which is higher to start with and I want to get a suspension upgrade which will raise it even more. This then lifts the front of the van and dropping the rear end which, on an Outback, is not a welcome outcome. At the moment, with the 50mm lift in receiver, the van rides level. But I see in Stone Stomper's pix he has welded the hitch to the top of the draw bar. I don't know the legalities of doing this but it would sure sort out my situation. :wink:

Hi

No worries I am aware of the hitch height issue with the outbacks I just wondered as you listed it as a fault, which it isn't sadly it's not Jayco's doing, they have to comply with the ADRs which don't have any allowance for the variation.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
At the Sydney show every pop top i looked in had the new LED lights. I asked my dealer if they were standard and he said yes on all 2011 models except campers.

He showed me some floor stock, some that came a few weeks before mine was delivered had LED's, all the van that came in the same delivery as mine had the old school lights. He figured they probably ran out of stock to just used the older ones. He changed all the globes over to LED no problems at all. Over $200 worth of LED's!!!!!!!!!

Worth asking the question!

Also worth asking about payload. As far as i understand they always have 300kg on expandas, but if you ask, depending on the model, sometimes you can get more:rockon:

I had two dealers inform me that the 2011 models now come with LED lights. I had a look at some on the weekend at the show room and they was a mix and match! Not overly impressed with the LEDs the switches seem hard to use and one of the show room models the switch had already failed.

brendon234

Apr 21, 2011
Interesting - My dealer rang Jayco and was informed that LED interior lighting was not an orderable option and would not be available accross the range until mid 2012.
Would love to get to the bottom of this one as it currently seems to be a bit of a chook raffle.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
My dealer said that quite a few owners who got the factory fitted LED's came back to get them swapped with the older style light fitting but with LED replacement globes. The main reason was the switches were a bit fiddly on the new fittings.

Maybe Jayco had so many complaints they have gone back to the older style for now. DISCLAIMER: not a known fact, just a guess:bolt:

My dealer offered to source the newer LED fittings and replace my older style ones, but I compared the two, and was much happier with the older light fitting with LED replacment globes. I also got to keep the old globes as backups and case one of the new LED's fails. Can't do that with the newer LED fitting, it only takes a certain LED globe. Does that all make sense?????

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
My dealer said that quite a few owners who got the factory fitted LED's came back to get them swapped with the older style light fitting but with LED replacement globes. The main reason was the switches were a bit fiddly on the new fittings.

I'd have to agree with that - one dealer I looked at had the 'flat' LED light assembly, for which the switch was horrible - very stiff and felt too small, just didn't feel comfortable to use....
The other dealer had the older style...which I preferred.....