Just Browsing Things to check before a trip!

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
REALLY..............?????

do tell why.......... (dont want to spend coin if I dont need to..........)

I find that with towing a caravan its like driving a prime mover/semi trailer, you want the trailer brakes to engage first before the towing car does like a semi.
With the boost function on the P2/P3 it alows the caravan brakes to engage first and the tow pro does not allow this function, hence I returned mine because of the braking delay, which in turn meant increased stopping distance too.

The tow pro is suppose to calibrate this but I found the delay was to long and could not bring on the brakes quick enough compared to the P3/P2 so I retuned it and stuck with the P2.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
The tow pro is suppose to calibrate this but I found the delay was to long and could not bring on the brakes quick enough compared to the P3/P2 so I retuned it and stuck with the P2.
Thanks @skippy
Good enough reason for me..... Be interested in others thoughts that have tried them

Reactions: bigcol

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
The tow pro is suppose to calibrate this but I found the delay was to long and could not bring on the brakes quick enough compared to the P3/P2 so I retuned it and stuck with the P2

Hmmm. Never had that problem with my tow-pro. I've found once calibrated, a setting of 6 or greater puts the van brakes on before the car.

Plus you can't beat the small footprint of the tow-pro.

Reactions: Delano

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Interesting thoughts and pointers, set mine up to work that way but didn't really think about it, be nice to have a trailer handle on the column sometimes.

Reactions: skippy and bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yes ....interesting.

We've had a Hayman Reece for yonks and, on the principal of "if it ain't broken don't fix it", never even considered changing it or even if there was anything better in the market.

Lazy, I guess.

I think the only time we've had to adjust it was after some very very dusty driving when the brakes 'grabbed' so we made an adjustment. Never since.

Now I'll have to do more reading....

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
In which case ANYTHING not related to "things to remember when storing your van" is digression.

Geese...lighten up cos I just annoyed with your judgemental approach....unless it was levity?!

:banplease:

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
In which case ANYTHING not related to "things to remember when storing your van" is digression.

Geese...lighten up cos I just annoyed with your judgemental approach....unless it was levity?!

:banplease:
It just seemed to me to be digressing too far from the original purpose of the thread which was 'Things to check before a trip'
You obviously don't agree, ok, fine with me. :D

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ok....I'm over it!

But it's up to moderators to determine whether posts should be moved....or inappropriate.

Not any of us. We're just happy users of this site.

And not trying to be contentious but to contribute to a knowledge base...if I have any to offer.

:boink:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I guess it's about time to hear from one of the mods. @Marv_mart is correct, the thread did start as "Things to check before a trip" and has digressed somewhat. As a mod, it did not overly concern me that it had wandered a bit off topic because, as was stated, brakes and brake controllers should be checked prior to a trip. But again, it was turning into a discussion on which brake controller to use which is off topic and is important enough to require its own thread.

But we like this forum to be run by members to suit members and if a member feels that it has wandered off topic (especially if it is the member who started the thread) then he/she should be able to ask that it returns to the stated subject without concern how his request will be received.

Many members state that this is the friendliest forum on the web and our aim is to keep it so. We only want to step in if things appear to be deteriorating and as yet I saw no real need to intervene but a mention of moderators convinced me that I should reply.

This is not having a shot at anyone, as I said I did not feel a need to step in. I just wanted to put a moderator's point of view.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
so, being smart as I'm not

I downloaded both of your lists @Marv_mart and emailed it to my work so I could print it out and Laminate it
spent all day looking in the Junk folders & such, couldn't find it......... came home checked my sent folder

DOH

picked the wrong email addy and sent it to the wrong work - I have not been at that one for awhile.......

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Mine is one page....can't post it as yet as its in a major revision.

Where mine is different is the placing of items on the list. Ours lists everything that needs to go...in the tunnel boot, in the overhead cupboards, etc etc. Then it's just a quick check off.

The checks before departure aren't written down but it's more of a mental list and a mutter...before walking round twice!

That's why I contributed a few to the list, as started as they were items that could cause problems if forgotten.

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
a guy I knew found it on a forum years and years ago, and posted it to the 4WD club forum I am in

thats why I was hoping to gain yours @Marv_mart - I started to edit the other one years ago - and lost a lot if interest in it
was only when I was looking at your, I remembered that one
If you want the Word version so you can edit it to suit your personal requirements, send me a DM and I will give you a link to the word files in my Dropbox.
If you DM me your email address, I can email them to you directly.
Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: bigcol